OpalCalc - Multi-line, notepad-like, update-as-you-type

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
twinbee

OpalCalc - Multi-line, notepad-like, update-as-you-type

#1 Post by twinbee »

VOTE AT: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2602

OpalCalc is a brand new type of calculator for the PC. As easy to use as Notepad or a word processor, OpalCalc allows natural language and multi-line support so you can go back and adjust your previous calculations. Download from:

http://www.skytopia.com/software/opalcalc/
(look for 'portable' download)

Okay, I'll get this out the way first. It runs using .NET 3.5. I understand .NET apps are frowned upon around here, but I'd like the moderators to make an exception because: OpalCalc is a very fine app (if I do say so myself) and the first of its type on the PC (the Mac has something called 'Soulver' which is also great). Although feature-filled, OpalCalc is only 260k (for the portable version), and all prefs and settings are saved to the same folder as the executable. Obviously it can run from a pen drive.

The 'lite' version is fully functional apart from a 5 line limit (which is still very useful for most purposes). The full version can be obtained with a donation of any amount (even a few pence if the user feels that's all it's worth to them). There is no time limit. (UPDATE 27/04/2014: Full version is now $15).

Regardless of whether OpalCalc is accepted, I also ask that for other exceptional .NET apps, occasional concession be granted. Sure, make it a chunky negative weighting against a program, but if it shines in every other way, then maybe that can tip the balance. As far as I know, more than 90% of PCs have .NET installed anyway.

Vote for OpalCalc v1.7 to be included in the database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2602
Last edited by twinbee on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

joby_toss

Re: OpalCalc v1.0 - Multi-line, notepad-like, update-as-you-

#2 Post by joby_toss »

I don't think this one belongs here, as it is not freeware. It is just a demo version that can be used for free.
Also, .Net v3.5 and up is not present on 90% of PC's.

However, as I am in love with this kind of sheet-calculators, I will donate to get the full version. :)
Thank you for bringing this into my attention!

twinbee

#3 Post by twinbee »

Thankyou! And for the donation too (you're the first!)

As for .NET, well this site claims 83% of users have .NET but that was over 2 years ago. StatOwl claims about 95% (or around 90% for .NET 3.5 or higher), if I am understanding its "undetected" as meaning "No .NET". Meanwhile ComputerZen claims "Well over 90%" have .NET installed (and that over 65% have .NET 3.5 installed).

Btw, just seen your sig. I saw that site just recently and love the concept and designs. You might like the artwork of Naohisa Inoue who loves to mix fantasy-esque elements and greenery with more futuristic streamline shapes.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

I wasn't sure that you are the author, so Thank you, sir! You have done some awesome work on this app! I like it so much that it became my default calculator on my main PC.

I encourage everyone else to support this project, as Twinbee is a very nice person and OpalCalc is a very useful app!

P.S. Mr. Inoue's painting skills are indeed a joy to watch.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Looks like a cool and innovative program.
twinbee wrote:Regardless of whether OpalCalc is accepted, I also ask that for other exceptional .NET apps, occasional concession be granted. Sure, make it a chunky negative weighting against a program, but if it shines in every other way, then maybe that can tip the balance.
  • If you'd like to weigh in on the pro and anti-dotNET viewpoints, this is where I'd start.
  • Just to be clear, there is no actual policy against dotNET and many programs based on it are here in the database already. Its just not something that gathers as much attention by forum members.
  • For my part, if you can somehow help in the production of a portable dotNET library in the same way there is a jPortable and JavaGet tools, that would substantially affect my view on the topic.

Edit: Neglected to link to the thread where someone tried to put something together for a Portable .NET.

twinbee

Re: OpalCalc v1.7 - Multi-line, notepad-like, update-as-you-

#6 Post by twinbee »

Been almost 3 years since I initially posted this thread. Since then OpalCalc has matured to version 1.70 with numerous bug fixes and a ton more features than v1.0 such as date/time calculation, printing, full unicode support, faster loading, better international support, lots of bug fixes, and much, much more.

It does use .NET 3.5 or higher, but Windows usually comes with that as standard these days. The free version of the app is fully functional apart from a 5-line limit which is 5x better than 99% of calculators out there anyway. There are no nags or time limits. An upgrade to unlimited lines is available for $15.

It appears a new voting system has taken place at this very forum too. The app will be hidden until 10 votes are reached, so your votes are very much appreciated!

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2602

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

twinbee wrote:The free version of the app is fully functional apart from a 5-line limit which is 5x better than 99% of calculators out there anyway. There are no nags or time limits. An upgrade to unlimited lines is available for $15.
Softpedia's calling it donationware but really what you're describing seems to me "liteware" since there's a set price.

I didn't vote for it because I don't have a use for this but I did go back and edit it to fit a bit closer to the PFW format.

twinbee

#8 Post by twinbee »

Thanks. Can you also edit the 32 and 64 bit download links to point to:

http://www.skytopia.com/software/opalca ... c_demo.zip

I accidentally pointed to the (very clean installing) installation version instead.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Done! 8)

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

v1.75 (2015-02-27)
An update has been a long time in coming. It's mostly a bug-fix release, but a few features have been added too, notably reverse Polish notation, and more options to save when you close OpalCalc. Oh, and that annoying "Ding!" sound when you scroll too far has gone forever (thanks to Anu N for pointing this out!). I'm sure he won't mind me quoting him: "The sound I get when I move the cursor too much down is irritating. Really irritating. And quite unnecessary as well. Maybe an option to disable it?". No sooner said than done!

Hooray - there's no annoying 'ding' sound if the cursor overshoots the document!
Online documentation has been updated to reflect the latest versions of Opalcalc
Clicking the Options window made the main Opalcalc window come to the front unnecessarily. This is now fixed.
RPN (Reverse Polish notation) is now supported! Just start the line with a backslash symbol (\).
If you used variables involving units of time and tried to copy/paste these sums or open them from a file, such variables wouldn't previously be recognized. (Thanks to Gabriel M for spotting this!).
'st', 'th' etc. are now allowed in dates. For example, 'th' in "25th December".
Pasting text into OpalCalc from programs such as Microsoft OneNote now works correctly.
More options for when you'll be asked to save your document if you close OpalCalc. "Never", "Always", and anything in between.
New special variable - "anscount". This will give how many numbers are in your last sum. So "6+7+8" would have an anscount of three.
Minor color coding changes: The "ans" in "$ans" is now highlighted. Using the mouse to click inside brackets will now highlight them (only using the cursor keys worked before). And fixed coloring of special words and variables when used in number-base sums.
Fixed "Workday" example, by adding 'clear' keyword.
Fixed use of the 'e' letter in non-ten number base sums. For example, "x`1e4" will not be treated as exponential notation.
Added cubic mile and cubic kilometer units.
Spaces in numbers are now supported when used in conjunction with units. This affects countries such as France who may use the space instead of commas (or periods) as a thousands separator.
Sums such as "(10m/2m)m" produced an error before. Not anymore.
http://www.skytopia.com/software/opalcalc/

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2602
The demo/'lite' version is fully functional, except for a 5 line limit for calculations.
I can say that this limitation is not that important for day to day small tasks.