8start Launcher 1.4

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Andy Goh

8start Launcher 1.4

#1 Post by Andy Goh »

A new era of desktop, start menu and quick launch by this free portable application launcher

8start Launcher is now portable. You can use it as the main menu in your flash drive, to launch your favorite portable freeware. Many of free time have been spent to make 8start Launcher easy to use, easy to configure and look beautiful

I published my freeware 8start Launcher last year, and received many requests to make it portable.

I just bough a flash drive and enhance it, finally it become true portable freeware.

Hope you like it.

http://www.8start.com

Fluffy

#2 Post by Fluffy »

Well, it's been doing a fantastic job of maximizing my CPU usage for a good 2 minutes now, but nothing's happening after I run it. Is this supposed to happen?

Andy Goh

#3 Post by Andy Goh »

Fluffy wrote:Well, it's been doing a fantastic job of maximizing my CPU usage for a good 2 minutes now, but nothing's happening after I run it. Is this supposed to happen?
May I know which version of windows you are running? the screen color is 16 bit or 32 bit? You install 8start Launcher in flash drive or computer?
8start Launcher 1.4 have been tested by many 8start Launcher users before it publish, this problem never been reported.
After install 8start Launcher 1.4, when u click the icon, 8start Launcher should be appear immidiately.
Please let me know more information, I would like help to solve it.

Fluffy

#4 Post by Fluffy »

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2, bit depth is 32, I bypassed the installer altogether and extracted the files using Universal Extractor directly to my hard drive.

One possible problem: have any 8start users tested 8start using a shell other than Explorer.exe? I'm currently running BBLean, a blackbox variant.

Andy Goh

#5 Post by Andy Goh »

Fluffy wrote:I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2, bit depth is 32, I bypassed the installer altogether and extracted the files using Universal Extractor directly to my hard drive.

One possible problem: have any 8start users tested 8start using a shell other than Explorer.exe? I'm currently running BBLean, a blackbox variant.
Thanks for your information, the Windows XP and 32 bit is confirm can be run in 8start Launcher 1.4. Do you extract the skin folder in the setup file? it is needed to display the 8start Launcher. To improve the speed and minimise the resource, 8start Launcher will write small cache in your flash drive, please ensure the flash drive is writable. Sorry that I have no idea about BBLean, I use 8start Launhcer in my flash drive, I click the icon and no problem, and the CPU usage is mostly 0.

Kadoogan

#6 Post by Kadoogan »

I tried using Universal Extractor and I had the same issue with the program not starting up and the CPU usage being 100%.

Install to the default location, then copy the program folder to your USB drive, except for the Uninstall file. Then run the uninstall.exe from the program folder on your C: drive to remove it from your PC. I found that the program worked fine from the USB drive after this.

Jason.

Andy Goh

#7 Post by Andy Goh »

Kadoogan wrote:I tried using Universal Extractor and I had the same issue with the program not starting up and the CPU usage being 100%.

Install to the default location, then copy the program folder to your USB drive, except for the Uninstall file. Then run the uninstall.exe from the program folder on your C: drive to remove it from your PC. I found that the program worked fine from the USB drive after this.

Jason.
Thanks Jason for your advise. So the problem may caused by the Universal Extractor. I may advise directly install the 8start Launcher in your flash drive rather then using Universal Extractor (untick the desktop shortcut and start menu shortcut). Don't worry about that because the setup of 8start Launcher won't install anything in your Windows registry. It only peform the file copy process.

Fluffy

#8 Post by Fluffy »

Indeed, I just tried this and it worked flawlessly. Very strange.

One thing I wanted to confirm: this application uses relative paths, correct?

Andy Goh

#9 Post by Andy Goh »

Fluffy wrote:Indeed, I just tried this and it worked flawlessly. Very strange.

One thing I wanted to confirm: this application uses relative paths, correct?
Yes, this application uses relative paths. :D

Fluffy

#10 Post by Fluffy »

Excellent. I'll add it soon, though I really wish I knew what the Universal Extractor issue was. :(

And it's posted! Thanks!

Andy Goh

#11 Post by Andy Goh »

Fluffy wrote:Excellent. I'll add it soon, though I really wish I knew what the Universal Extractor issue was. :(

And it's posted! Thanks!
Thanks, I use Nullsoft installer to create setup file, with LZMA compress option, is this cause the problem when using Universal Extractor?

and0629

#12 Post by and0629 »

This program requires gdi+ to run on non xp systems. I ran this on win 2000 and a error came up:
run-time error '53':
file not found:gdiplus

Andy Goh

#13 Post by Andy Goh »

and0629 wrote:This program requires gdi+ to run on non xp systems. I ran this on win 2000 and a error came up:
run-time error '53':
file not found:gdiplus
To implement transparancy feature, 8start Launcher use gdiplus.dll, which is included in Windows XP and Windows 2003 but not Windows 2000. If you like to run 8start Launcher in Windows 2000 system, you can download gdiplus in the 8start.com help page. http://www.8start.com/help.htm

and0629

#14 Post by and0629 »

ok thanks :D

Andrew Lee

#15 Post by Andrew Lee »

The version extracted by Universal Extracter is missing two files:

Code: Select all

Skin\8start Black Glass\Opacity  80%\back.png
Skin\Fabio Longo Block Notes 1.4\Group White\group.png
Dunno why. Could be a bug with Universal Extracter.