Thunderbird - email and calendar client

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Thunderbird news

#31 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:It looks like Softmaker just altered the interface by moving tabs to the bottom and bundled the Lightning addon for calendar and tasks functionality.

They might have not altered any source code, but are redistributing Thunderbird with some custom defaults.
Ghacks is reporting you can download the plugins without buying the software bundle: http://www.ghacks.net/2016/05/23/thunde ... softmaker/ I still don't see them distributing the source.

freakazoid

#32 Post by freakazoid »

Thunderbird 52 has been out for a week, but Thunderbird Portable hasn't caught up to it yet.

I don't post on the PortableApps.com site, so hopefully JTH sees this!
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:Thunderbird 52 has been out for a week, but Thunderbird Portable hasn't caught up to it yet.
It generally takes a few days for the update to come through. Since Thunderbird only sees maintenance releases now, this is only problematic if a really serious bug comes out.

In this case, it looks like they got it updated, unless you're talking about 53.0b1, which is a beta release.

bitcoin

#34 Post by bitcoin »

Thunderbird forced an update on me from version 19 or so to version 38 about a year or two ago even though i had updates turned off

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:18 pm Thunderbird forced an update on me from version 19 or so to version 38 about a year or two ago even though i had updates turned off
More and more I'm frustrated by software I have to disable from being able to connect to the Internet to maintain a reasonably stable machine. I'd expect more from the Mozilla folks, but it's not even really Mozilla anymore. Sigh.

webfork

Re: Thunderbird add-on: Auto Compress File

#36 Post by webfork »

A remarkably feature-complete compression tool is now available as a simple add-on for Thunderbird: Auto Compress File. I've been generally a little underwhelmed by the Thunderbird extras over the years, but this is really something I wish every email client had.

Note that the program hasn't been updated in some time but I saw no issues in testing, and comes with loads of intelligent features:
  • Automatic vs interactive (manual) mode
  • Compress individual files or compress all files
  • Remote backup
  • Only compress files that actually benefit from it (either filtering by file type, overall size, or available compression level)
  • Set compression levels
  • Rename tools and character replacement
You can even edit the extension so it doesn't get flagged on a paranoid email server.

Wishlist (maybe the most nitpicky requests I've ever written):
  • 7zip support (probably under an advanced settings menu since it's unlikely everyone in your address book knows what that is)
  • Password support (also in an advanced menu)
Screenshots:

Websites:
Main: http://dev.arqendra.net/
Add-on: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ress-file/
Article: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/05/c ... underbird/

webfork

#37 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:19 pm I don't see an offer of source code anywhere. Any Thunderbird files they modified are required to be released under the MPL. Note that this doesn't apply to fully new source code files they add.
The program was updated a few weeks ago but still not seeing anything on source code: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Ahttps% ... fsb&ia=web

On a related note, my interest in Thunderbird has come back into the fore in part because I switched over to Zoho Mail. After a lot of trouble with Google Mail + Thunderbird over the last 10 years, it now works like a dream, both on the mail and calendar sides. Notably you can't use Zoho's 2FA program in tandem with Thunderbird, but just using and cycling passwords should offer more than adequate security.

As to why Google Mail didn't work well with Thunderbird, I have no idea. I saw an article basically suggesting that Google doesn't like Mozilla due to browser competition and has made small things incompatible going back many years, similar to stories connected to Microsoft Edge.

Whatever the case, as I've slowly divorced myself from all things to do with Google, and Zoho has provided a solid exit. It doesn't have have a lot of the usability tweaks and there's so much odd overlapping between applications, but I also don't expect to see a bonkers interface reset every two years and a bunch of garbage email response suggestions. It's not their fault: Product Managers see "machine learning" and they forget how interfaces cluttered with absolute junk are a bad thing.

Midas

#38 Post by Midas »

I keep multiple online mail accounts with all prominent providers (i.e., Google, Microsoft, etc.) and I have been (lightly) using Zoho for some time, too. Even made an account for my cub for commercial purposes. Unencumbered and very reliable in my experience.

webfork

#39 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:56 am Unencumbered and very reliable in my experience.
Yeah, I've been very pleased. I'm very glad an open source mail tool is available with this kind of functionality.

Emka

#40 Post by Emka »

In AppData, I get the folders Local\Thunderbird\updates and Roaming\Thunderbird\Pending Pings.
I use the following add-ons: Lightning, Manually Sort Folders, ImportExportTools.
Thunderbird Portable is located on a different partition than the system (and AppData). I never had an installed version of Thunderbird on this machine.

webfork

#41 Post by webfork »

Emka wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:42 pm In AppData, I get the folders Local\Thunderbird\updates and Roaming\Thunderbird\Pending Pings.
I use the following add-ons: Lightning, Manually Sort Folders, ImportExportTools.
Thunderbird Portable is located on a different partition than the system (and AppData). I never had an installed version of Thunderbird on this machine.
Thanks for posting. I retested with the default program, which appears to be stealth. I'm not surprised that the available add-ons aren't portable -- this has been a problem with many programs. I'll add a note to the entry.

JohnTHaller

#42 Post by JohnTHaller »

Emka wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:42 pm In AppData, I get the folders Local\Thunderbird\updates and Roaming\Thunderbird\Pending Pings.
Is there anything in either folder? The APPDATA\Roaming\Thunderbird\updates folder should get removed on exit in the current release. And Pending Pings should be removed in the next one. Note that you must use ThunderbirdPortable.exe to start and be using the current version of that launcher which you'll get automatically if you use the PortableApps.com Platform. If you only use Thunderbird's internal updater, you won't get new versions of the launcher, and should manually update (install over) with a new version when the updater changes.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Emka

#43 Post by Emka »

Thanks for replying, John. I also posted in your forums, hope that's OK.
I am using v60.8.0 on Win10 1903, I only use ThunderbirdPortable.exe and I have disabled the internal updater. I always manually update (install over) with the PA.com release.
Roaming\Pending Pings is empty, but in Roaming\Thundebird I now also find the folder Crash Reports with a subfolder called events (empty) and the file InstallTime+somedate.
Local\Thunderbird shows the empty subfolder FE+somenumbers&someletters

webfork

Re: Thunderbird - email and calendar client

#44 Post by webfork »

Some encouraging Thunderbird changes coming:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/07/thu ... s-download

This article focuses on PGP because security or whatever, but I'm more interested in the various other items including dark mode, calendar and tasks integration, and new compose window.

JohnTHaller

Re: Thunderbird - email and calendar client

#45 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:53 pmThis article focuses on PGP because security or whatever, but I'm more interested in the various other items including dark mode, calendar and tasks integration, and new compose window.
You can try out the new features using the Thunderbird Portable Test channel, which packages the 78.0 release. It definitely feels smoother and dark mode works great. The stable channel of Thunderbird Portable remains on 68.10.0 as it isn't possible to fully upgrade from 68 to 78 yet. Additionally, we're waiting for the ability to upgrade from Enigmail to the built-in GPG which should land in 78.2.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality