UltraEdit32

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
Crash

UltraEdit32

#1 Post by Crash »

Andrew,

A quote from the web site's PSPad listing: "Synopsis: PSPad is a great text editor with syntax highlighting, hex editing, HTML tidying, built-in diff etc. To top it all, it writes its settings to local INI files. I was a great fan of UltraEdit all along, but I hate reconfiguring the settings every time I run it on a new machine."

Just FYI, UltraEdit is portable (no registry, uses application directory, etc.) if you add the following line to the beginning of the SETTINGS section in the uedit32.INI file:

[Settings]
Use Registry TB = 1

Crash

stumpii

#2 Post by stumpii »

Cool. Where did you find this out? Is this the same for UEStudio?

Crash

#3 Post by Crash »

stumpii,

I found out by emailing the author of UltraEdit (Ian Mead) and simply asked him how to make the application run without any registry dependancies.

Regarding it working with UEStudio, I do not know, I'm not familiar with that application.

Crash

rlmoore0751

Ultraedit32

#4 Post by rlmoore0751 »

I have a question about Ultraedit32. When working with HTML does the app preview in an internal browser/viewer or does it call your default web browser (IF, FireFox, etc.) to preview HTML?

stumpii

Re: Ultraedit32

#5 Post by stumpii »

rlmoore0751 wrote:I have a question about Ultraedit32. When working with HTML does the app preview in an internal browser/viewer or does it call your default web browser (IF, FireFox, etc.) to preview HTML?
It shows it in the default browser. NVU is a portable app that does have an internal viewer and is very good.

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have moved this topic to "Portable Payware Discussion", where I think it is more appropriate.

johnmbryant

uedit32.ini

#7 Post by johnmbryant »

I installed PSPad but could not find uedit32.ini or ultraedit32.ini.

Where do I find the file to rid the program of Registry dependency?

John

roddersg

Re: uedit32.ini

#8 Post by roddersg »

johnmbryant wrote:I installed PSPad ...
John
Your problem is that you installed the wrong program. We're discussing UltraEdit here, not PSPad.

...and Crash is right, you can make it portable.

kwhipp

#9 Post by kwhipp »

Crash (or anyone) -

I understand changing the setting in the uedit.ini file will save the UltraEdit configuration in an INI file. The problem is that the uedit.ini file is located in the user's APPLICATION DATA folder. Any idea as to how to change the location of the uedit.ini file to make UltraEdit truly portable?

- Kevin

EDIT: Never mind. I just found the answer on the UltraEdit forum. Copy the uedit.ini file from the APPLICATION DATA folder to the folder on your USB drive were UltraEdit will be executed from.