DooM 3

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
Fluffy

DooM 3

#1 Post by Fluffy »

To those that care, it appears that DooM3 is portable. The drive letter did not change, but a fresh reinstall of XP didn't faze it one bit. :)

Kermode

#2 Post by Kermode »

All the old quakes were portable (quake1, quake2,quake3) so hurrah for that.

(So is World of Warcraft, but since its 5G+ you'd need a big stick *g*)

Fluffy

#3 Post by Fluffy »

Indeed, Quakes were all portable as well, hence the reason Nexuiz and Warsow are portable too. Alien Arena's got a bit more going on though I suspect it's portable as well. Hurray for iD - they rock.

Fluffy

#4 Post by Fluffy »

Small note: though DooM3 runs fine portably, it has problems updating on systems that it hasn't been installed on due to the patch installer's nature. I haven't had a chance to test out my theories, but there are small .ini files written to C:\Windows and they may have something to do with it, but nonetheless I got a regshot of the entire installation procedure and I'll probably end up investigating that when the next update comes along.

FarCry3r

#5 Post by FarCry3r »

Fluffy wrote:Small note: though DooM3 runs fine portably, it has problems updating on systems that it hasn't been installed on due to the patch installer's nature. I haven't had a chance to test out my theories, but there are small .ini files written to C:\Windows and they may have something to do with it, but nonetheless I got a regshot of the entire installation procedure and I'll probably end up investigating that when the next update comes along.
your theories is right, but that's if you want to update. I think you can still play the game without updating right?

I have portable Doom 3 Multiplayer (the singleplayer menu won't work, hehehe :D), it's work like a charm, no crash whatsoever, but still contains alot of missing textures and sounds (dunno how to figure out which files is needed or not)... and it's about 400 to 500+ MB in size if the files are packed in .PK4 and around 800+ MB if unpacked...

steve0

#6 Post by steve0 »

Year,all the old quakes were portable (quake1, quake2,quake3) so hurrah for that.

Snow123

#7 Post by Snow123 »

Yeah, i agree with you! :D :D