7 PDF Maker

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
7-pdf

Re: 7 PDF Maker v 1.0.5

#16 Post by 7-pdf »

Yes of course the Portable Version you use is actuall a fully functional shareware. The point is right now, if it can be a usefull step for me and the community to "build" a "lite" version of the portable app...that must be still developed by me...but I need some good motivation-points to do so...

Cheers,
- Thorsten

7-pdf

#17 Post by 7-pdf »

Have checked it out with my IE8 - no problems. The download finished at 48.3 MB successfully...

I am Baas

#18 Post by I am Baas »

Managed to download with Opera. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

JohnW

#19 Post by JohnW »

Well - this certainly generated some interest !

1. No apologies for the fact that there was a prior post. The problem is that PFC uses a crappy search engine. I DID search and got no results.

2. Freeware or Shareware? It did confuse me. It's clearly shareware now that it has been pointed out so not one for the database.

7-pdf

#20 Post by 7-pdf »

Ok - in detail...

1. 7-PDF Maker (non-portable) is freeware, you can download it here:

http://www.7-pdf.de/fileadmin/downloads ... r/7p10.exe

2. 7-PDF Maker (Portable) is a specially developed version of 7-PDF Maker (non-portable) that runs from your Stick or portable drive as a portable-app (PAF), but is shareware. You can download it here:

http://www.7-pdf.de/fileadmin/downloads ... rtable.exe

Cheers,
- Thorsten

guinness

#21 Post by guinness »

The point is right now, if it can be a usefull step for me and the community to "build" a "lite" version of the portable app...that must be still developed by me...but I need some good motivation-points to do so...
Sorry about that :) I think it would be useful for both the community and you. TPFC is a respectable group who are interested in helping developers create Portable applications. It would also generate a lot of publicity (I presume) TPFC is a large and well known community.

Some applications which have been added have helped developers quite a bit e.g. KidSafe.

7-pdf

#22 Post by 7-pdf »

Mmmh...let us discuss about the functions for the application that we can build for both freeware and registered users in conjunction with the current shareware version. What functions are necessary to let it free, and what is usefull if you register it and purchase a license for currently 19.95 € / $27.58 ...

There are the following functions:
1. PDF creation for 84 file-formats (my opinion should be free)
2. auto. Hyperlink Creation (my opinion: registered user only)
3. Image Optimizer Functions (my opinion: registered user only)
4. PDF /A-1, Tagged PDF, Export Notes (my opinion: registered user only)
5. PDF Security Options (my opinion: registered user only)

...so only a simple portable pdf creation is then free - all other function = registered user. Could this be ok and interesting for both: freeware users and users who want to buy a license to get the "pro" features?

Let me know your thougths about a further 7-PDF Maker PORTABLE (FREE/PRO) Version...
That would help me to decide the right.

Thorsten

GeddichNixan

#23 Post by GeddichNixan »

Of course the more functions your lite version includes the better for the users. :D On the other hand your interest in the limitation of the features to a point which generates enough incentives for potential buyers of a license to actually buy a license is also understandable.

I would appreciate a lite version as described in your proposal just as many other TPFC user would.

BTW, a great app, thanks for it how the "lite" version may (or may not) become at the end. Also thanks for joining this discussion. It is always nice to welcome a developer on this board.

7-pdf

#24 Post by 7-pdf »

I think it's important for all developers to discuss with the community and get ideas for great apps for both, the shareware-users and the freeware-users. Thanks for everybody who write ideas on this post to even form a usefull app for all...

Thanks very much!

ashghost

#25 Post by ashghost »

@7-pdf: Am I missing any benefits that your front end for these OpenOffice libraries offers over using the "export" function in the full OpenOfficePortable suite?

The 3 differences I can see are:
  • 1. Size on disk: OO.o is 226MB, but it can be stripped down at least below 170 MB by removing help files, templates, and so on (I haven't attempted it); 7-pdf Maker is 103MB, 99MB of which is the "lib" folder with the OO.o components.

2. 7-pdf Maker probably works a little faster, since the full OO.o takes some time to start up and then a little more time to load a document

3. The instant viewing options are a nice addition (in 7-pdf Maker, you can enter the path to a PDF viewer or choose the included SumatraPDF
Batch processing would be a major selling point, but since 7-pdf Maker doesn't do batch processing, I'd rather use the full suite. To each his/her own, of course - there are bound to be folks who would rather use the simple interface for PDF creation, and developing it obviously required effort and creativity.

7-pdf

#26 Post by 7-pdf »

A further 7-PDF Maker benefit is to store prefered PDF Settings. I think the app is much more faster, quite simpler to use and smaller than the big-brother app OpenOffice.org

And let me notice a next important benefit: You can select directly a file to convert it to PDF. There is no need to start the hole openoffice app from your stick to do so. Usibility is so much easier for the app-users...

Additional benefits are also:
------------------------------
A fast and direct "free to use" app support (via email and phone!)
A detailed app user-guide

...and so one. :D

rw14c

#27 Post by rw14c »

My concern about this app is it using a portableapps.com installer for a shareware product.

Have always regarded portableapps.com installed products as freeware and open source, maybe I'm wrong.

just my opinion FWIW

7-pdf

#28 Post by 7-pdf »

portableapps-PAF Setups can be included apps as opensource, freeware and of course shareware...

See here and have a looking for the word "Shareable" in the PAF specification:

http://portableapps.com/development/por ... com_format

Thorsten

rw14c

#29 Post by rw14c »

frome the Portableapps.com format:

Shareable is whether the app is allowed to be copied from one drive to another (without the Data directory)

From the license for Portable Apps.com launcher

You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
parties under the terms of this License.

I think this thread is going the way of an advert for a shareware program

webfork

#30 Post by webfork »

Few notes:

* An English translation of the 7-PDF Maker home page with a bit about the PA launcher at the bottom. The main page has this information too, but includes a lot of other stuff that gets a bit cluttered.

* Also:
From the license for Portable Apps.com launcher

You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
parties under the terms of this License.
Agreed. As a GPL software, that's going to be an issue. Additionally, the program also appears to use various components from Sumatra and OpenOffice without giving credit on the main site.

Update: Baas answered this below.