Portable Mathematica

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
USBs Unite

Portable Mathematica

#1 Post by USBs Unite »

I was wondering if anyone uses Mathematica, Matlab, or Maple and if anybody ever considered making any of them portable or how one would? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

perwhis

#2 Post by perwhis »

A very good Matlab clone that is portable you can find here: http://qtoctave.wordpress.com/2007/10/3 ... -portable/

As simple replacements for Maple I use the programs Euler (older version) and Eigenmath. Euler is also very similar to Matlab, and it is very small.

I also have a portable version av FreeMat, which also is a Matlab clone, but I don't know how good it is, since I use Octave most of the time.

To make any of the programs you mention portable I doubt is legal, but I think you never needs them, as there are so good freeware and open source software out there!

USBs Unite

Thank you

#3 Post by USBs Unite »

Thanks alot, I will check it out :D

JohnW

#4 Post by JohnW »

@ USBs Unite
According to my notes a portable version of Matlab was posted on AvaxHome. A portable version of Mathematica was posted on Hotfilms.

Both, I believe were Thinstalled applications.

Unfortunately I cannot verify the facts as I did not d/l them.

As perwhis points out there is a problem of legitimacy.
If you already own the standard version of the specific application then 'personally' I would feel OK about using a portable version.
But there remains the problem of use a thinstall app.

USBs Unite

Re: John W.

#5 Post by USBs Unite »

I'm glad you posted your comment, because I had seen AvaxHome before but did not know what to make of it. I could download (matlab for example) but not buy it? Is that legal? if so how? It is a very interesting site. Mathematics text books are on there plus alot more. If anyone else knows about this site or the other one and cares to inform me, please do, although it seems to good to be legal or true. Also since they are free, how can people trust that it doesn't have malware that does bad things to your computer (like turn your pc into a spam mailing engine)? Again I really don't know much about this but would love to understand. Thank you in advance.
p.s. sorry for the length

JohnW

#6 Post by JohnW »

USBs Unite

Trying to answer your last comment, just about all the software referred to on these sites will be illegal. The sofware is not stored on the site ; links are provided to a 'download' site.
My guess is that most PFC members will not download such software.
It's a matter of principle and conscience.
Personally, I find that PFC provides me with free utilities for most needs; I also purchase some 'must haves' but in all honesty I'm not completely virtuous.
As for malware, well that is a potential problem but I don't actually think that these sites are a particular problem in that respect.