Portable Azureus

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
jaymalmat

Portable Azureus

#1 Post by jaymalmat »

I made the all famous open source bit torrent client AZUREUS portable. This program no longer writes to the registry. Not sure about the update though. Let me know http://rapidshare.de/files/25500131/Azureus.zip.html

nake89

#2 Post by nake89 »

I dont know what to say. Thanks!
Nice job!

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Azureus is dependent on the Java runtime.

gp_hbk

#4 Post by gp_hbk »

Andrew Lee wrote:Azureus is dependent on the Java runtime.
Maybe he can work something out like Portable OpenOffice ?

Darkbee

#5 Post by Darkbee »

OpenOffice is not dependant on the Java Runtime, it's just that you can't use some of the features of OpenOffice if you don't have the Jave runtime installed. However, even without the runtime, OpenOffice is perfectly usable, as far as I can tell.

gp_hbk

#6 Post by gp_hbk »

Darkbee wrote:OpenOffice is not dependant on the Java Runtime, it's just that you can't use some of the features of OpenOffice if you don't have the Jave runtime installed. However, even without the runtime, OpenOffice is perfectly usable, as far as I can tell.
So an application can't be made portable at all if it requires the java runtime?

mudie

#7 Post by mudie »

According to a post on a support forum for "Thingamablog", Java can be installed on a USB stick thus eliminating the "needs/uses Java" trip up that plagues so many otherwise portable apps.

You can read it here.

http://thingamablog.sourceforge.net/php ... c.php?t=16

The author has a lengthy step-by-step to get Thingamablog running portable this way.

Is there any validity to this or is he just blowing smoke?

Darkbee

#8 Post by Darkbee »

I think that having the Java runtime be portable might provide a solution. However, it's pretty hefty and in my opinion why should I have to lug around some hefty development platform, when I can probably find a tiny app that does exactly the same thing and more quickly too (since Java is an interpreted language) without relying on some external runtime environment.

I feel the same way about Microsoft's .net platform. While I understand that it makes cross-platform, rapid application development a realistic possibility, again in my opinion I see these as having more valid application in the business world than the home computer user.

In short, if someone can create a useable, portable Java runtime platform and you want to use it, that's great, go ahead, be my guest. I'll stick to my small apps that are not reliant on some runtime platform.

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

I agree with Darkbee.

I have used quite a number of Java desktop apps, including Eclipse, Azeurus and JEdit, and in all cases, I have reverted back to native Win32 apps (uTorrent and PSPad respectively; Eclipse is the exception, since it is dictated by my workplace). I find them consuming large amounts of memory and runs slower than native apps.

I have also tried Paint.net and a couple of .NET RSS readers, and always find myself crawling back to PhotoFiltre and GreatNews. Despite all the hype around Java and .NET, I don't think they are ready for the desktop yet. I know Sun and Microsoft are trying to stick it down our throats, but I will resist down to my last megabyte :)

TheFrog

#10 Post by TheFrog »

It IS possible to run both JAVA and Azureus as "portable"
This one works great from my USB-drive :

Code: Select all

http://www.mininova.org/tor/818897
Azureus_Portable -- No Java required on Host

Portable Azureus v2.5.0.4a with Azureus2.jar v3.0.1.6
All required updates have been applied.
Includes FULL Sun Java JRE version 1.6.0_02 intl. (full strenght encryption)
with recompressed .jars, saving more than 25MB on disk.
This stand-alone Java can also be used to run other Java-apps on !!

Does not use micr0$0fts Documents and Settings on the Host to store anything.
All downloads, .torrents etc are stored in local sub-DIRs .
Auto-update, version-check etc etc disabled by default .
Comes ready to run, normal bluetack p2p IP-filter included, list updates once a week .

Files are from Azureus ver2.5.0.4a plus azureus2.jar ver3.0.1.6
and the following plug-ins :
azcatdest : DL-folders based on categories
azdhtscraper : scrapes DHT !
azfocus : focus on downloading 1 torrent, all others are paused until complete
azplugins : built-in
azupdater : built-in
azrating : Displays and allows rating of torrents
CountryLocator : Displays the country of your peers
multi-ports : support for multi-port trackers
stuffer : block specific clients

You can install more plug-ins the usual way if you like .

How to install :
Doubleclick the self-extracting 7zip archive Azureus_Portable.exe
and extract to the root of your drive ( F: or whatever driveletter )

How to run :
Open the folder Azureus_Portable that was just created and doubleclick Azureus_Portable.exe
(or make a shortcut to it) to launch Azureus_Portable using the included Java .
If the launcher does not find Java in a sub-dir named jre1.6.0_02 it will scan the registry on the Host
for Java v.1.5.0 or better and use that.

If you want it the other way around (search Host first, if no Java is found then use the one in the jre1.6.0_02 sub-dir)
you can replace the Azureus_Portable.exe (version 1.0.0.0) launcher with Azureus_Portable.exe (version 1.0.0.1) found in : Azureus_Portable_HostJavaFirst_Launcher_update.7z included in the 7zip archive Azureus_Portable_Update.7z
(includes both versions, just extract the one you want to use to the Azureus_Portable DIR an say Yes to overwrite .
you can place both 7zip-files in the DIR and extract the one you want to use before launching Azureus)

IMPORTANT : If you plan on running this from a USB Flash-drive I strongly advice you to use the launcher that searches the
Host first. It will start faster and more important : Your Flash-drive will live longer !!

If you doubleckick the original Azureus.exe azureus will not start unless the Host has Java installed .
Even when starting az that way everything (settings, .torrents, data etc ) will still be in local sub-dirs !!
Last edited by TheFrog on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

portackager

#11 Post by portackager »

Thefrog, that sounds good but if you could, or someone upload the torrent to a regular filesharing website and post the link :)

TheFrog

#12 Post by TheFrog »

calm_observer

#13 Post by calm_observer »

Andrew Lee wrote:I have used quite a number of Java desktop apps...I find them consuming large amounts of memory and runs slower than native apps...
are you or have you used a just in time compiler :?:

TheFrog

#14 Post by TheFrog »

this new version, Azureus_Portable SE only takes up 37.6MB on disk :
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=190429

Andrew Lee

#15 Post by Andrew Lee »

are you or have you used a just in time compiler?
Yes.