Folder Encryption 4.5

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
Buckster

#31 Post by Buckster »

Kakasoft,

No offense but I think you should have anticipated problems such as what I encountered. Perhaps a warning that your software is not compatible with or will not work correctly if I have a pesky firewall like comodo. This is proper to avoid future troubles with your future sponsors.

I may have donated a small amount to your sponsorhip/support link, but I don't have a paypal so I really put a lot of time just so I can get your attention. I tried to MSN you when I saw your your pop up, guess your busy. I'm still waiting for a recovery tool. I know, your site advises to wait for 24 hours, so I will wait.

Time lost can never be recovered. I can only blame myself for trying your software but a fair warning is expected, don't you agree?

Local

#32 Post by Local »

Buckster did you try this to recover your files? http://www.geocities.com/redllar/unlockdir.zip

Just run this from your directory that you "encrypted" and follow the instructions.

A recovery tool you might want to try if that doesn't work is
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=565
Or
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1063

Both work quite well and are easy to use.

I hope you just remember next time to test new apps on files that aren't important.

Btw with Comodo it's much better to turn off the Defense+ the firewall itself is really good

redllar

#33 Post by redllar »

Buckster, I made a second version of unlockdir a bit after I made the first one. The second one doesn't prompt with a list of files to be unlocked, it just attempts to unwind the special file system pathing that lockdir creates.

If you want to try it out, you can download the second version at http://www.geocities.com/redllar/unlockdir2.zip Unzip it to the lockdir'd directory and run unlockdir. If it works you should see a Thumbs.db directory and a dasktop.ini file become visible. Open up Thumbs.db and there should be a sysúøúø directory. Open that up and there should be a systemdd directory. Open that up and there should be another Thumbs.db directory. Open that up and your files should be there. If not, oh well. It's not really a problem I created is it?

Also in systemdd there should be 3 *.fod files. One for the directories "encrypted", one for the files, and the ps.fod file is for your "encrypted" password and folder name. That's all there is to this "Strong Encryption technology".

Buckster

#34 Post by Buckster »

I'll be turning off the defense security in my comodo firewall from now on. I know, I should have been more careful not to install lockdir.exe on my desktop.

If I wanted strong encryption, I could always use truecrypt but that's too advanced for my needs as most of my office mates are not too IT literate and I'm just trying to have a little privacy, say, if I accidentally left my usb drive in the office.

I have used past versions of truecrypt and I'm sure they are not for the average surfer.

I want something quick and convenient for locking folders and for now, I will reserve my judgment as to quality of kaka's product lines (it's free anyway).

Thank you again folks for all your help, I truly appreciate it.

clevermind

Folder-Encryption updated v4.7

#35 Post by clevermind »

Folder-Encryption updated v4.7

http://www.kakasoft.com/downloads.htm

Clever Mind

Queue

#36 Post by Queue »

Version 5.0 is out; the tricks have changed slighty and a relatively nice new feature has been added but the file's also gotten even more bloated and LockDir now saves a few settings to the registry (HKLM/Software/Lockdir).

See http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3092 for info on a batch file that'll unlock a LockDir 5.0 folder.

LockDir now supports subst'ing the ''locked'' folder to a virtual drive letter instead of unlocking it, giving you immediate access to the files without actually having to move the folder structure; this is good because it doesn't require a write to disk so saves a little wear if you're using it on a Flash Drive.

---

The first level hidden folder still masquerades as a Printers folder but is now named thumbs.dn (maybe to avoid conflicting with a thumbs.db file?).

Within is the desktop.ini file that makes thumbs.dn function as a Printers folder.

The second level hidden folder is now named com1.reallylongCLSID; it's 8.3 file name is com1~1.{d3.

Within is system.db which I assume contains the LockDir password for this locked folder set.

The third level hidden folder is now named, well, some messy gunk; on NTFS it winds up with a unicoded 8.3 file name so is aad9~1, but FAT and FAT32 will have it as __~1.

The fourth level folder that contains what was in the original folder that was ''locked'' is now named LastF. No tricks here, just a simple folder.

---

I did some experimenting and came up with the string:

Code: Select all

ßÅ¢ÖÑ÷¬.ǵÉ
The symbol after Ñ is the delta symbol (7F) and is probably the most important symbol of the bunch as it can be really annoying to get into a command prompt on Win9x.

This file name has a lot of potential because Windows recognizes it without issues but it's a serious pain in the butt to type in a command prompt (''DOS'' window). Now, the downside is it only works properly on FAT and FAT32 file systems; NTFS just saves its 8.3 name in unicode. Flash Drives are often formatted FAT or FAT32 though, so it still works nicely there.

---

If I were designing this folder hider, I'd change the second level hidden folder name to ßÅ¢ÖÑ÷¬.ǵÉ, move the com1~1.{d3 folder name to the third level hidden folder name (where I'd store the password file and the LockDir settings for this particular folder, and go back to storing nothing in the registry), and obfuscate the fourth level folder name again (maybe as system.) or get rid of it altogether.

I suspect Redllar's not coming back, but if you see this Redllar, would you consider my thoughts on ßÅ¢ÖÑ÷¬.ÇµÉ and automatic virtual drive letter assignment for HideDir? Oh, and enable it on Win9x; LockDir 4.6, 4.7 and 5.0 all work just fine on Win98SE. The 23KB size of HideDir makes it blow LockDir out of the water.

Queue

Ja

#37 Post by Ja »

Is it still possible to download unlockdir somewhere?
I have a problem with lockdir, my files are locked and Im unable to unlock them.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.