Multiple Search Replace

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

Multiple Search Replace

#1 Post by webfork »

So this is a search-and-replace program that's listed as adware on Softpedia but had some features I was interested in so I thought I'd give it a try. The program appears to actually be trialware, but I had trouble verifying the status. Posting to non-portable for the moment.

The following is an incomplete test -- the program may be portable but both machines I tested on were having issues. Will come back to this one.

Steps (using Windows 10):

1. Download and use 7zip to extract
2. create a text file called MultipleSearchReplace Portable with the following content

Code: Select all

runas /trustlevel:0x20000 "MultipleSearchReplace.exe"
3. Rename .txt to .bat and launch

Status: Inconclusive. Initial test didn't appear to write to registry but didn't do a thorough test and second test went awry due to other system issues (dotNET wasn't installed)

Websites:

https://www.4dots-software.com/multiple-search-replace/
https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Fi ... lace.shtml

hamasaki

Re: Multiple Search Replace

#2 Post by hamasaki »

Nice little program, which I purchased awhile ago. It's been useful and pretty reliable for what I've needed, although I have never used any of the advanced regex stuff. Being able to insert text before or after elements has been a life saver.

It creates the following folder:
appdata\local\4dots_Software

Nothing else in the registry as far as I can see.

But using yaP, you can nuke the appdata folder after closure, which doesn't cause any issues. Settings are saved to the 'settings.xml' file.

Milver63

#3 Post by Milver63 »

Nice software. I used it recently and it is quite handy.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Update: I'm not sure what I was thinking, but this definitely isn't freeware ... moving to payware forum ...

I did some initial testing and it seemed to launch a few random files on my computer for some reason during a simple search effort. I'm not sure what that was about but that's not what I was expecting from a search program, so I removed it.

Screenshot update care of billon:

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Programming text editors -- e.g., Notepad++ -- usually also include similar features, with varying degrees of power and ease of use...

hamasaki

#6 Post by hamasaki »

CudaText is excellent for batch find/replace.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

I was inspired by Ennovy's post about WinFindr and decided to go back and re-check an old search program I tested. Glad I did.

4dot's Multiple Search and Replace is freeware and comes with a remarkable number of features for a somewhat unassuming search tool. If this was just a search tool and didn't replace anything it would still be outstanding.

- MS Office and LibreOffice file support (untested)
- multiple find and replace options
- Loads of options, including NEAR checks
- Regular expressions for file find and content replacements

I did a full screen capture sequence to try and catch everything (used Screen2Gif for this one):

Steps:

1. Download setup file
2. Open in 7zip
3. Extract all contents to a folder (overwrite when prompted)
4. Run MultipleSearchReplace.exe

FileHandler

#8 Post by FileHandler »

webfork wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:36 pm 4dot's Multiple Search and Replace is freeware and comes with a remarkable number of features for a somewhat unassuming search tool.
Thanks. Very impressive indeed. If only it were portable, :cry: .
It even comes with pre-made Regex snippets:
MSAR.jpg

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

FileHandler wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:29 pm It even comes with pre-made Regex snippets:
That is impressive, thanks :)

lintalist

#10 Post by lintalist »

If you haven't tried it I recommend giving BK ReplacEm a spin, looks a bit similar viewtopic.php?p=95218#p95218
Portable and no traces in registry that I recall.

FileHandler

#11 Post by FileHandler »

lintalist wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:46 am I recommend giving BK ReplacEm a spin
Brings back memories, but the interface font is just too small for me, my eyes are not getting any better.

CudaText is top notch in that respect, allows you to customize everything, including the search fields and font and BG-colors etc.
And it can search across entire folder structures. Plus Regex, multi-line searches, and much more.
If you are willing to invest some time to customize and read through all the options.

Also worth a closer look for anyone interested:
https://dngrep.github.io/

lintalist

#12 Post by lintalist »

@FileHandler - I haven't had a need for it the past couple of years, but I did use it often (set once, use many times) - I found it to be quite sophisticated for its time - and best of all free :)

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

lintalist wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:46 am If you haven't tried it I recommend giving BK ReplacEm a spin, looks a bit similar viewtopic.php?p=95218#p95218
Portable and no traces in registry that I recall.
Yeah that is really fantastic.  It's the best parts of Renamer with those staged, sequential edits.  Thanks for posting.