Remote Desktop Manager

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
appsuser

Remote Desktop Manager

#1 Post by appsuser »

From their website,

"Remote Desktop Manager (RDM) centralizes all remote connections on a single platform that is securely shared between users and across the entire team. With support for hundreds of integrated technologies — including multiple protocols and VPNs — along with built-in enterprise-grade password management tools, global and granular-level access controls, and robust mobile apps to complement desktop clients for Windows and Mac, RDM is a Swiss Army knife for remote access. RDM empowers IT departments to drive security, speed and productivity throughout the organization, while reducing inefficiency, cost and risk."

When I think of managing remote connections, I usually think of programs like mRemoteNG and Terminals. In the same vein, Remote Desktop Manager has a treasure trove of features dealing with remote connectivity, along with the ability to save a central database on Dropbox, Google Drive, WebDAV, etc. This, combined with the fact that the program may be made portable, makes any IT expert good-to-go wherever they go. Versions are also available for most mobile phones/tablets.

Download: https://remotedesktopmanager.com/home/download

How to make the program portable: https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/i ... bleusb.htm

I used the free version of the program to make it portable, by downloading the appropriate .zip file and following the instructions in the wiki. The free version can be used for 30 days unregistered, but is easily registered before or after that time just by creating a free account on the developer's website, giving you the free license.

appsuser

Re: Remote Desktop Manager

#2 Post by appsuser »

I've now worked with this software for a few days to determine it's usefulness, and I just thought I'd share some of my experiences with the community.

As a remote connections manager, it offers some features not found in most other apps of it's kind, such as plugins for embedded sessions of Teamviewer, AnyDesk, and WinBox for Mikrotik devices, along with many others. However, the support for online external database storage wasn't quite where they want it to be. It seems the app works best with the company's own free online data storage platform, but in current times, storing passwords in another company's storage space, even encrypted, may (reasonably) be considered a security issue. Overall, there's definitely some development needed to make all of the advertised features fully functional. (The Android app seems to be mostly RDP/company proprietary remote storage only, at this time.)

I guess the major draw for me was the ability to handle Microsoft VPNs. We manage a lot of our networks with L2TP/IPSEC tunnels that are easy to open with VPN client software built right into Windows, but it is a pain to have to configure so many connections on each individual system. With RDM, you can embed Microsoft phonebook (.pbk) files directly into the database, and have the software open the VPN connection, open a session with the remote network device, and close the VPN connection upon closure of the remote session. All with one double-click. Very nice, especially when you can carry multiple VPN configurations with you on a USB stick wherever you go. (I realize other remote connection management software can launch external apps like OpenVPN to do this, but I was mainly interested in Microsoft VPN).

webfork

Re: Remote Desktop Manager

#3 Post by webfork »

I don't do a lot with RDM any longer just because I no longer do a lot of professional support work, and have a much lighter setup at home than years previous (formerly used a dual, client-server machine setup with integrated backup and network-available storage). Still, I might find my way back to it in the future and may need this info.

Good post.
appsuser wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:28 am I've now worked with this software for a few days to determine it's usefulness