Alt-Tab Terminator [not freeware]

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
webfork

#1 Post by webfork »

Update: as with most NTWIND software, this program is no longer freeware. They do great work, but I definitely won't be spending any energy on their tools connected to this site, as I expect it will just turn commercial.

---

I've been very happy to see the folks at NTWIND who came up with two other alt-tab replacements. This one is a little buggy at the moment but already much better than the default Win10 alt+tab system
NTWIND wrote:"Alt-Tab Terminator is an elegant and powerful task management utility for Windows 7/8/10. Once installed, it replaces the default Alt-Tab dialog with a nice box that shows a list of all running tasks, with their names and preview snapshots, and enables the user to take actions on them using the mouse and keyboard shortcuts. Alt-Tab Terminator is the direct successor to VistaSwitcher and TaskSwitchXP."
License: Freeware EDIT: now shareware

Steps:

1. Download and open using 7zip
2. Extract all files and folders that don't start with a $
3. Launch AltTabTer.exe or AltTabTer64.exe
4. Right click on the tray icon and select Settings
5. Uncheck Autostart

Home: https://www.ntwind.com/software/alttabt ... s-new.html

Softpedia: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS- ... ator.shtml

lintalist

Re: Alt-Tab Terminator

#2 Post by lintalist »

Good find, you can use VistaSwitcher on Windows 10 but you have to hide quite a few "hidden" windows to make it useful and it won't play nice with the Edge browser (that browser seems to have many hidden windows even it you only have one page open). Alt-Tab Terminator does work better.

Hope they will add a few more config options* in Alt-Tab Terminator but so far so good.

* I would like to see:
- numbering of the applications not just the window names/program icons
- moving the list of open apps to the RIGHT, currently it is set to the left (VistaSwitcher shows it on the right which I prefer)

FileHandler

#3 Post by FileHandler »

Just like VistaSwitcher it doesn't list some apps (such as DateReminder: http://www.horstmuc.de/wrem.htm) that built-in Win7 Alt-Tab will bring up - but only after tabbing my way through all open windows. Will keep it anyway, it's so much more comfortable to click on an entry rather than having to tab through.

Numbering the apps - as lintalist suggested - and allowing number keys to switch over would make it even better. I will mail their support about this request.

Thanks for a great find.

bawldiggle

#4 Post by bawldiggle »

Total disappointment.
In May this year I tested v3.0 on 2 machines
1. Desktop | Win-7 HP 64-bit
2. Lenovo Laptop Win-7 PRO 64-bit

In both cases a total falure ... no thumbnails not even of TXT files,
Today uninstalled v3.0 on both machines with Revouninstaller PRO
- scanned registry for any residual junk, not a single piece of junk left behind. :)
- also checked C:\Users\ folder for any signs of ntwind ... clean :)
Cold rebooted both machines

Downloaded and installed v3.4 on same two machines, assuming EXE is an offline installer
- no trace of a "ntwind" folder in C:\Users\ <profiles> :?
- found several registry entries, of no consequence ... 3 uninstaller reg-keys + 2 MRU items for my File search program (FileSearchEX)
I could not find where ATT stores settings (hot keys) :?

AND by the way, this program is a flop on both machines, still no thumbnails on the GUI. :roll:

I have wasted enough time on this dud. I liked the concept, but at the moment it is a time waster, obviously the developer does very limited testing.

If I could dump the preview screen to reduce the size of the GUI even the list of open files/apps/programs would be useful.
ATT failed.png

lintalist

#5 Post by lintalist »

bawldiggle wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:08 am Total disappointment.
In May this year I tested v3.0 on 2 machines
1. Desktop | Win-7 HP 64-bit
2. Lenovo Laptop Win-7 PRO 64-bit
That's your problem right there - Windows 7 users should use VistaSwitcher https://www.ntwind.com/blog.html?start=70
VistaSwitcher works on Win10 but you have to hide quite a few windows to make it usable, but it works very well on Vista, Win 7 and 8.

Alt-Tab Terminator is for Windows 10 so I don't think it is a fair review as it does work well in my experience - There is of course room for improvement but it is certainly worth trying if you are looking for an Alt-Tab replacement. I don't know of any others that work well on Windows 10.

bawldiggle

#6 Post by bawldiggle »

@ lintalist :)

Thank you for your advice, you are correct about needing Vista Switcher for Win-7
I tried Vista Switcher, thumbnails only display web pages but not TXT files
Not worth all the hastle

I also tried AltTabAlternative (an obvious fork of ATT)... same problems as ATT
ATA issues have been reported to developer but no response so far

lintalist

#7 Post by lintalist »

It always showed text files for me, perhaps it depends on the editor you're working with. But it is hard finding an alt-tab replacement that suits your needs as I've tried many over the years. Good luck finding one that will work for you! :D

lintalist

#8 Post by lintalist »

Alt-Tab Terminator is now shareware as of version 4.0 :(

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

lintalist wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:12 am Alt-Tab Terminator is now shareware as of version 4.0 :(
Thanks for that. Disclaimer added and note added to thread title.