TaskLayout [display utility]

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
grayn

TaskLayout [display utility]

#1 Post by grayn »

There is a useful utility called TaskLayout which allow user to preserve desktop layout which includes shell folders, web browsers and any other apps with their specific positions on screen.
TaskLayout will start (if it is required) and arrange these windows/applications to restore the state in which you saved them. Thus, for instance, you can instantly open folders with long paths or find items with complicated locations that you cannot remember. The software can save Windows Explorer, text files, images, Control Panel and a series of other dialogues to the layout file.
Freeware, portable, installer is a self-extracted 7zip.

License type: free for personal non-commercial use.
Supported OSes: Windows XP and higher
Homepage: http://www.systemgoods.com
Change log: http://www.systemgoods.com/downloads/TLChangeLog.txt
Download here: http://www.systemgoods.com/downloads/Ta ... taller.exe
Attachments
tl-editor.png

webfork

Re: TaskLayout 0.6.0.2

#2 Post by webfork »

From the maker of TaskSpace, which is here on the site.
Freeware, portable, installer is a self-extracted 7zip.
Do you happen to know where it writes settings?

grayn

#3 Post by grayn »

webfork wrote: Do you happen to know where it writes settings?
There is a local file SETTINGS.XML beside TaskLayout binary which stores all the settings.
Last edited by grayn on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Specular

#4 Post by Specular »

Just FYI you'll need to go into the tray settings after launching the program and enable 'Portable Mode'. Which will then save to a new file named SETTINGS.XML (either at that moment or after closing, can't recall). May have been because I unzipped the self-extracting archive myself that it needed this, not sure, but thought I'd mention it.

I found no other files created or registry entries created so appears fully stealth.

MBailey7411

#5 Post by MBailey7411 »

This is a great program, but I can’t get around one problem. If I’m using Chrome and open multiple tabs, I can’t get it to simply make Chrome an active window and resize. It opens a new instance because the window title doesn’t match if you are on a different tab than when you saved it. Any ideas?

smaragdus

Re: TaskLayout 0.7.0.1

#6 Post by smaragdus »

Since version 0.7.0.0 TaskLayout (Change Log) is no longer free for private, non-commercial use, screens:

TaskLayout version 0.6.1.1- about:

TaskLayout version 0.7.0.1- start screen:

@moderators
Please remove version number from thread title.

Midas

Re: TaskLayout [display utility]

#7 Post by Midas »

Done! :)

smaragdus

Re: TaskLayout

#8 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
Thank you. I wonder wouldn't it be appropriate this thread to be moved to Portable Payware Discussion sub-forum since the program is no longer free.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Thought about that too, but didn't want to get carried away. Let's see what webfork has to say, OK?

Specular

#10 Post by Specular »

Seems a few programs have changed their license of late. Do we just link to the last free version (where available) as with other programs that have changed with updates?

The version I have is 0.6.0.2.

Edit: didn't realize it wasn't in the DB yet. In that case it makes no difference :razz:

smaragdus

Re: TaskLayout

#11 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
Fine.

@Specular
I have TaskLayout versions 0.6.1.0 & 0.6.1.1, I can upload them both if needed.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:04 pm
smaragdus wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:37 pm @Midas
Thank you. I wonder wouldn't it be appropriate this thread to be moved to Portable Payware Discussion sub-forum since the program is no longer free.
Thought about that too, but didn't want to get carried away. Let's see what webfork has to say, OK?
My suggestion here is, if we can find an earlier version / mirror that's freeware, we can keep this in the Submissions thread. If we can't or there's something in the license around redistribution, then I'd agree with smaragdus about moving to payware.

EDIT:
smaragdus wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:19 pm I have TaskLayout versions 0.6.1.0 & 0.6.1.1, I can upload them both if needed.
I found a mirror (probably going to get removed anytime) and I'm checking now.

File Data
  • Filename: tasklayout_0.6.1.1.exe
  • MD5: B6CD653C5A8B2C25682D9588F877F3BB
  • SHA1: AD600D70A6B5A93187AD03090AA7CF872200C859
  • SHA256: B0DD1CD2D26023AD39339FE20A527DE41C95E6FEEE6F382E9649A8E166B24622
  • VirusTotal Rating: 0/66
  • VirusTotal URL: https://www.virustotal.com/file/b0dd1cd ... /analysis/

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

Yeah unfortunately there's a redistribution clause in the license that makes this payware in my opinion.
EULA wrote:You may not distribute, rent, sub-license or otherwise make available to others the Software or documentation or copies thereof, except as expressly permitted in this License without prior written consent from SystemGoods (Nikita Pokrovsky). In the case of an authorized transfer, the transferee must agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this License Agreement.
Moving thread.

Onesimus Prime

TaskLayout [payware] discount

#14 Post by Onesimus Prime »

I first heard about the TaskLayout program here at TPFC and have found it very useful at times, launching and displaying a multitude of programs just right for me on 2- or 3-monitor systems. I've also tried alternatives like Windows Layout Manager, which is seemingly also portable, but IMHO TaskLayout is both more capable and a little easier to use.

Until recently, the TaskLayout cost was $40 for a Personal license and I believe around $60 for a Business license--no capability difference, just where/how it's allowed to be used. Neither price is something I'd personally pay for this type of software...

However, the price is currently down to $20 for Personal and $25 for Business, and the license includes lifetime upgrades, as seen on the homepage (Internet Archive generated today: Dec. 3rd, 2019, though the link indicates Dec. 4th). While the Personal license may be sufficient for me right now, at this price I went ahead and got myself the Business one, "just in case" I need that in the future. Thought I'd also share the news of the price drop with anyone else here who may be interested!