IMHO, The best portable file manager - Total Commander.

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
smaragdus

Re: Total Commander 9.00

#16 Post by smaragdus »

Total Commander at version 9.00, there are a lot of changes:

newsletter
change log at Softpedia

I have not tested Total Commander version 9.00 for portability but I suppose that it is still portable.

joby_toss

Re: IMHO, The best portable file manager - Total Commander.

#17 Post by joby_toss »

Yes, same as before. Love version 9!

CornHolio the Gringo

#18 Post by CornHolio the Gringo »

When I use Total Commander in Portable mode, it does not write to register (Totcmd v8.51a)
All registry writings are made by OS, aka where You executed totcmd from.
Ive been using Total Commander since 1995 (v3.0) . Those days there was no option to make it Portable.
Total Commander is a fully operational filemanager as a shareware, the only nagg is when Ya start it,
then it tells to select button 1 through 3 to start it.
Its ALWAYS a fully operational software, so far.
I myself desided to get a lisence, so My portable version is always on My usb.
The shareware version works at any times when ported to a portable install, ony string is to choose button 1 through 3.
I speak of versions uptil 8.51a.

NunoSilva

#19 Post by NunoSilva »

* Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com/
IMHO is the best File Manager EVER.
Have it and use it since version 6.58 (at least) and nowadays I can make it jump thru hoops.
Besides the open architecture with plugins, start menu, horizontal and vertical launch bars ... I love its portable associations that allows me to double-click a file and open it in its proper viewer or editor.
It was the best software investment I ever did!

lintalist

#20 Post by lintalist »

TC version 11 - download https://www.ghisler.com/download.htm

The update to 11.00 adds many new functions, see below. It also corrects many errors. Complete list of changes: https://www.ghisler.com/history1100.txt
General:
  • Show searchable list of all open tabs with Ctrl+Shift+A (as in the Chrome browser) or right clicking on the rightmost edge of the tab headers
  • Ignore list now supports entries for file system plugins and FTP servers (separate syntax)
  • Search with "Everything": Support search in indexed subfolders
  • Show full path with all parents in nested virtual folders, e.g. when accessing a phone
  • Show free and total space of Android devices in the base folder
  • Follow link files (*.lnk) pointing to directories relative to the current location, e.g. %WinDir%\explorer.exe ..\..\content
  • Inform other Total Commander instances on the same PC when the user changes the "Start" menu or button bars
  • In place rename, command line: Stop on Ctrl+Left/Right at extra non-alphanumeric characters
  • Standalone Lister, search, compare and synchronize dirs can be started maximized and minimized
  • New pseudo environment variable %$DATE% inserts current date and time in 24 hour format, supports template like %$DATE:YMD%
  • Multi-rename tool: New placeholder [ I ] or [I1] to ignore dots in folder names: Entire name in [N], [E] is empty.
File operations:
  • High speed packing and unpacking of ZIP and GZ files with modified libdeflate library
  • Change compression rate for ZIP, GZ and TGZ directly in the pack dialog
  • F5 copy: New overwrite mode "Rename older target files, skip newer"
  • F5 copy, ftp/plugin transfers: Show transfer speed of the entire copy operation in the second progress bar when available
  • File system plugins and FTP: Show new option "Finish copying the current file" when aborting copying
  • Unpack ZIP files with ZSTD (by Facebook) compression
  • Unpack .zst (ZSTD) and .br (BROTLI) files
  • 7z.exe or 7zg.exe can now also be used as an external zip packer
Directory history:
  • New style directory history list which is no longer based on a Windows menu
  • Quick search and quick filter support
  • Quick search in whole path by starting search strings with an asterisk
  • Right click context menu support with many options like opening the directory in the other panel or a new tab
  • Context menu, option to copy path to clipboard
  • Context menu, option to remove entries from history
  • Context menu, option to show all items when history thinning is enabled
  • Keep track of most frequently used directories and show them in the directory history in addition to the history entries
  • Keep list of frequently used directories synchronized between multiple Total Commander instances on the same PC
  • New page "History" in the main settings dialog
Lister:
  • Hex mode: highlighting in both text and hex representation of file content
  • Copy the selection to the clipboard as hexadecimal characters, with Ctrl+Shift+C or via the right-click menu
Internal commands:
  • cm_Copy, cm_RenMov, cm_CreateShortcut, cm_PackFiles, cm_UnpackFiles and cm_Edit support parameters to set dialog box options
  • New tab commands: cm_RenameTab, cm_SetTabOption*, cm_SetAllTabsOption*, cm_OpenNewTabOther, cm_OpenNewTabBgOther
  • New quick search commands: cm_QuickSearch, cm_QuickFilter, cm_QuickFilter 1 (restore last quick filter)
  • New drive commands: cm_DriveContextMenu, cm_OpenDriveByIndex
  • New command line commands: cm_ShowCmdLineHistory, cm_AddFileNameToCmdline, cm_AddPathAndFileNameToCmdline
  • New internal command OPENBARMENU opens the passed .bar file as a dropdown menu
  • Hotkeys defined via Configuration - Options - Misc now support commands with parameters
  • Use internal commands in internal associations, .e.g. ***CM_LIST %1
Command line parameters in button bar/start menu:
  • New parameter %y (lowercase) keeps other parameters and skips only list file parameters if the list is empty
  • New parameter %a (lowercase) includes all selected files from both panels in list parameters like %L
  • New parameter %|envvar| inserts environment variable envvar, e.g. %|windir| or %|$DESKTOP|