IMHO, The best portable file manager - Total Commander.

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
Message
Author
Shtriter
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:21 am
Location: Russia
Contact:

IMHO, The best portable file manager - Total Commander.

#1 Post by Shtriter » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:18 am

As I have said, I believe that Total Commander is the best file manager for Windows.
Features:
Two file windows side by side
Multiple language support
Enhanced search function
Compare files / synchronize directories
Quick View panel with bitmap display
ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
New: Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
Visit this page for more.

But the best feature - is pluggins. There are 4 different types of pluggins. There are pluggins for file comparison, file-system manedement, networking, registry editing, uninstallation, task management and many, many other!

There are even special editions/pluggin packs.
My favorite is Total Commander XP & Plugins Pack

itsnaogo
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 7:47 pm

#2 Post by itsnaogo » Tue May 02, 2006 7:54 pm

Does it write any settings to the registry?

Shtriter
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:21 am
Location: Russia
Contact:

#3 Post by Shtriter » Tue May 02, 2006 9:29 pm

itsnaogo wrote:Does it write any settings to the registry?
Well, i don't know it for sure...

But what I do know, that it uses at list 2 ini files: main.ini for general settings and ftp.ini for built-in ftp client settings, though filenames can differ cause TC supports command line keys for both of these files...

As far as I know only installer does (I mean TC XP. The other packeges are not worth installaton...). It also writes some archivers to %SYSTEM dir, but never had problems with running it on another PC even with no user rights.

Total Commander XP was set up on my usb-stick about 2-3 years ago. Curent version was installed almoust 1 year ago (27/08/05) and works fine!

All pluggins also workes fine on any WinPC. Of course, if Admin had disabled changes of registry, it would be hard to use RegEditor, Services, Uninstaller (that are installed in basic version of TC XP!) and Autoruns...
But that is not a bug IMHO. And that doesn't mean that if you are prohibited to use WinTaskManager you can't use TC TaskManager, that provides some extra features such as Visibilty/Opacity changing, Top most and so on. PS Services have olso 1 intriguing feature - you can manage (re/start, stop) services of other PC!!!

Standart TC XP includes also very useful apps such as portable img viewer Imagine that was TC pluggin firstly, portable but powerfull text editor AkelPad (I have already described it...) And PowerPack contains also portable freeware CD Burner! PS: As far as I know, all listed pluggins are freeware.

I haven't mentioned TC smart file manipulation. For me it's easier to say what TC doesn't support (but can supported via pluggins!) - I don't know weather it supports data integrity and changes detecting. And all other functions, listed in Folders/Files section, including Attributes, Backup and Restore, Compression/Decompression, Disk Space, Duplicate Checkers, Encryption/Decryption(via archs), File Comparison Tools (Excellent implementation!), Complete File Management, Integrity Checkers, Search and Replace
Synchronization Tools..., are supported!

If you still have some doubts or have some questions - mailme!

cmmehl
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:26 am

Shareware

#4 Post by cmmehl » Wed May 03, 2006 7:16 am

Correct me if I'm mistaken - but my reading of their website is that this program is shareware, and costs 40 SFR (not quite cheap ...) to register.

This site here, on the other hand, is called the portable freeware collection, right?

In this light, I'd rather see this thread in the Portable Payware Discussion Forum, which - unsurprisingly - is definitely underpopulated ;-)

Cheers
Chris

User avatar
Andrew Lee
Posts: 2507
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:19 am
Contact:

#5 Post by Andrew Lee » Wed May 03, 2006 9:45 pm

I concur. I have moved the topic to "Portable Payware Discussion".

tripex
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:51 pm

#6 Post by tripex » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:03 pm

Yes, Total Commander is portable once installed, but lacks the auto resume function. :-(

CU
Andreas

Ruvedo
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:22 am
Location: USA

#7 Post by Ruvedo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:43 am

Where you get it???

tripex
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:51 pm

#8 Post by tripex » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:04 pm

What? It just can't do it. The author of Total Commander has admitted this fact.

CU
Andreas

roddersg
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:25 pm

ACDSee v2.4 anyone?

#9 Post by roddersg » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:38 pm

I'm not a total fan of Total Commander, although I own a copy. I find the twin windows a bit distracting and there are just too many configuration settings to tinker about.

However, If I had the time, probably I might get it to jump through hoops.

I have been using ACDSee v2.4 for a long time and still seem to like it. Although ACDSee has now moved to v10, v2.4 has everything beat and I especially like to way to add descriptions to each file.

However, it is pretty old and long in the tooth. I can make it portable, but I loose my license key and it doesn't handle unicode languages.

Anyone in the same boat as me?

User avatar
m^(2)
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:38 am
Location: Kce,PL
Contact:

Re: ACDSee v2.4 anyone?

#10 Post by m^(2) » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:21 am

roddersg wrote:(...) and there are just too many configuration settings to tinker about.
Configurability it the best thing about TC :)
And (for me) the reason to leave every other file manager after 20 minutes of testing, because I can't set something important.

portackager
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:01 pm

#11 Post by portackager » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:10 pm

I've been using Total Commander Ultra Prime for a few days it's very nice. Even found some good freeware programs included in the bundle.

http://www.tcup.pl/
Porta-Lover

panting portable
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:23 am

Re:

#12 Post by panting portable » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:27 am

portackager wrote:I've been using Total Commander Ultra Prime for a few days it's very nice. Even found some good freeware programs included in the bundle.

http://www.tcup.pl/
Yeah I use this version of T. commander
bye the way - Total commander whilst not being officially FREE. in effect is because you only get a nag screen on startup but it never stops working. If you use autohotkey or some other macro prog. or maybe a bat file it would be possilble to get around the nag screen.

User avatar
m^(2)
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:38 am
Location: Kce,PL
Contact:

Re: Re:

#13 Post by m^(2) » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:27 am

panting portable wrote:
portackager wrote:I've been using Total Commander Ultra Prime for a few days it's very nice. Even found some good freeware programs included in the bundle.

http://www.tcup.pl/
Yeah I use this version of T. commander
bye the way - Total commander whilst not being officially FREE. in effect is because you only get a nag screen on startup but it never stops working. If you use autohotkey or some other macro prog. or maybe a bat file it would be possilble to get around the nag screen.
But it's illegal.
However, the author said that
-if you can't afford the purchase
-don't try to circumvent the nag screen
it's fine for him that you use it.

ChipsNHotSauce
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:35 am
Location: Growls Garden

Re: ACDSee v2.4 anyone?

#14 Post by ChipsNHotSauce » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:34 pm

m^(2) wrote:
roddersg wrote:(...) and there are just too many configuration settings to tinker about.
Configurability it the best thing about TC :)
And (for me) the reason to leave every other file manager after 20 minutes of testing, because I can't set something important.
I find that humorous because one day I felt like trying TC out and most of my time was spent on configuring everything/testing plugins, because frankly the default settings just didn't suite me, I don't recall ever actually using like it was intended :lol:

User avatar
m^(2)
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:38 am
Location: Kce,PL
Contact:

Re: ACDSee v2.4 anyone?

#15 Post by m^(2) » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:30 am

ChipsNHotSauce wrote:
m^(2) wrote:
roddersg wrote:(...) and there are just too many configuration settings to tinker about.
Configurability it the best thing about TC :)
And (for me) the reason to leave every other file manager after 20 minutes of testing, because I can't set something important.
I find that humorous because one day I felt like trying TC out and most of my time was spent on configuring everything/testing plugins, because frankly the default settings just didn't suite me, I don't recall ever actually using like it was intended :lol:
There are some prepackaged suites that make it easier and faster. I started with one and tweaked to the max. Actually well beyond recognition.

But as to one thing I changed my mind.
TC configurability, while clearly above average, could be much better. Especially when it comes to UI.

Post Reply