Sublime Text (nagware)

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
Enternal

Re: Sublime Text

#16 Post by Enternal »

webfork wrote:It looks pretty amazing. The screenshot over on Ghacks has a big "UNREGISTERED" in the title bar, which got me curious how much it goes for and it looks like it's running $80 (USD).
Though if it's the same as version 2, it will be simply nagware and will never expire. Similar to how WinRAR is. In addition, it's licensed by User rather than computer. So you can install on as many computer as you want as long as it's yours.

Anyways, I'm using VS Code so don't really have a need for this. However, VS Code, Atom, and other editors are all resource heavy (VS Code is on the lighter side compared to Atom and it's using 180 MB fresh) while Sublime Text is very light (15 MB fresh) so I can definitely see the appeal of this and definitely would buy if I were an actual programmer rather than just a tinkerer.

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

Enternal wrote:Sublime Text is very light (15 MB fresh)...

Definitely a big plus in my book. 8)

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

Are there any Sublime Text users here on the site? I just downloaded the portable version and, apart from the UNREGISTERED message at the top of the window, it appears to be fully functional. Are there nags somewhere down the road?

rbon

#19 Post by rbon »

webfork wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:53 am Are there nags somewhere down the road?
From 'Sublime Forum' -> General Discussion:
-> Question:
So, what’s stopping me from using the evaluation version and never paying for it? https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/so-what ... r-it/31436
-> Answer:
While Sublime is in the unregistered evaluation mode, you get nag popups after every few saves to remind you that you haven’t paid for it yet. Additionally, you need a license key to be able to use the development versions of Sublime, if that’s important to you.

Unregistered users also cannot turn off the popup that tells you when a new version is available, so without buying a license you get notified every time you start Sublime when a new version is out and you haven’t installed it yet, which some find annoying.

Apart from those things, it’s just a matter of conscience, really. Only the company itself can speak to why they want to have an open ended evaluation period, though.
and
You might be surprised by how annoying that occasional popup of “Please buy a license” can be. Just last week, I finally got fed up and bought a license just to get rid of that thing.
In short: there is no end of the evaluation period, but there are nag screens.

Review
• Softpedia: https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE- ... Text.shtml
• Softpedia 'Markdown Editor' list: https://www.softpedia.com/hubs/Markdown-Editors/

Softpedia includes 'Sublime Text' in the list of 'Markdown Editor'. :wink:
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

rbon wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:24 pm While Sublime is in the unregistered evaluation mode, you get nag popups after every few saves to remind you that you haven’t paid for it yet. Additionally, you need a license key to be able to use the development versions of Sublime, if that’s important to you.
Thanks for doing some research on my behalf, but I don't generally rely on program websites to be forthcoming about their limitations. Having only briefly tested the program, I didn't want to call it nagware. Anyway, unless someone comes forward and says that the nags are exceedingly rare, I'll tag the thread accordingly.

lintalist

Re: Sublime Text (nagware)

#21 Post by lintalist »

Give CudaText a spin if you like SublimeText, it is very similar, but open source (MPL license), very active development:
viewtopic.php?p=100823#p100823