GUI apps in the CLI Database?

Discuss anything related to command line tools here.
webfork

Re: CLI Database Discussions

#16 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm At this point I'd like to hear opinions from other people...
I had some notes but before I add more to that, would all parties be comfortable with a separate thread for the comparison of CLI vs. GUI discussion? There's starting to be a lot of subject overlap in this thread could confuse visitors.

SYSTEM

Re: CLI Database Discussions

#17 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:22 pm
SYSTEM wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm At this point I'd like to hear opinions from other people...
I had some notes but before I add more to that, would all parties be comfortable with a separate thread for the comparison of CLI vs. GUI discussion? There's starting to be a lot of subject overlap in this thread could confuse visitors.
Sure, a dedicated thread would be good. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

Re: Re: CLI Database Discussions - defining CLI and GUI

#18 Post by webfork »

It took a while because I wanted to make sure I moved posts over correctly (there was some overlap), but this is now a separate thread for GUI vs. CLI analysis.

thepiney

Re: Re: CLI Database Discussions - defining CLI and GUI

#19 Post by thepiney »

I see anything that can be used/controlled from the command line as CLI to an extent but even a lot of GUI based programs can be used in that way as you've stated. It would just come down to personal preference for inclusion. If the program is first and foremost a GUI based program you could just add a link to the standard TPFC site or another site with a note maybe having command line arguments as an example so others know they are available. Quite a few CLI based programs have even had GUI frontends created to make it easier for some. Being able to do batch work using scripts/batch files is definitely a good point for use and/or inclusion. In 1998-99 I used to use a batch file using Irfanview to convert scanned bmp files to jpg for uploading to a web space to use on Ebay and I don't recall the GUI even opening.

As far as CLI programs go, most of the people that are going to use the site will already have some idea of the uses so including the GUI based programs isn't going to hurt if they can be used to automate/help in getting a job done. I know a lot of people that will not even try using CLI based programs because they "think" that GUI based programs are easier to use. Even showing them how some can be used isn't going to change their mind just like explaining/showing the advantages of portable programs isn't going to get them to start using them.

vevy

GUI apps in the CLI Database?

#20 Post by vevy »

webfork wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:45 pm It took a while because I wanted to make sure I moved posts over correctly (there was some overlap), but this is now a separate thread for GUI vs. CLI analysis.
Thanks! I changed the title. I hope you don't mind.
thepiney wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:37 am It would just come down to personal preference for inclusion.
While this is inevitable sometimes, I try first to reach consistent criteria that make sense. This helps avoid a lot of disagreements later on and is easier to remember; especially if they come from natural usability POV (for example, differentiating parameters for the main GUI app from actual commands with output, even if the look similar. See above.)
Quite a few CLI based programs have even had GUI frontends created to make it easier for some.
That actually does help differentiating them. If you can imagine it having a GUI front end, then it probably is a CLI program (think MPC-HC vs mpv).
Also, it is a suggested field (#51). :wink:
As far as CLI programs go, most of the people that are going to use the site will already have some idea of the uses so including the GUI based programs isn't going to hurt if they can be used to automate/help in getting a job done. I know a lot of people that will not even try using CLI based programs because they "think" that GUI based programs are easier to use. Even showing them how some can be used isn't going to change their mind just like explaining/showing the advantages of portable programs isn't going to get them to start using them.
One of the later targets I have is a topic for the different ways to use CLI tools without typing.