CLI Database - Beta 2

Discuss anything related to command line tools here.
Andrew Lee

Re: CLI Database - Beta 2

#16 Post by Andrew Lee » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:30 pm

The entry status is batch-updated every 5 mins or so. There's a bunch of stuff that needs to happen to update the entry statuses, that's why it is not done in real time.

Midas

#17 Post by Midas » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:35 pm

I see. But it was still private with 10 votes when I upvoted, hence my question.

Andrew Lee

#18 Post by Andrew Lee » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:42 pm

I did a check and all the statuses (public/private) corresponded with the entry score (above-equal or below 10).

Let's keep a close eye and see if another entry crops up with this issue.

Specular

#19 Post by Specular » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:36 pm

Thought I'd see what the status labels might look like matched to the existing tag style (without the tag end). They inherit the same core style as the tags while also reducing the per status properties to just background-color (and color if necessary).
Screenshot.png
Attached the changes to the full style.css in case they want to be tested. Wasn't sure what span.use-case affects so I left that as-is.
Attachments
style.css.zip
(11.81 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

Andrew Lee

#20 Post by Andrew Lee » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:37 am

Updated. Thanks!

Definitely looks more consistent now.

Midas

#21 Post by Midas » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:19 am

Andrew Lee wrote: I did a check and all the statuses (public/private) corresponded with the entry score (above-equal or below 10).

Let's keep a close eye and see if another entry crops up with this issue.

You are right. After some hard looking, I realized the problem is momentary: after you edit an entry and save, its score displays as 0 and the entry vanishes until the next database update, when everything returns to normal.

I told you I was disoriented by the workings of CLI.TPFC... ;)

On the subject of tags, I liked how they looked visually distinct, making them appear more of a graphic element than a textual one. But, hey, no harm done.

Andrew Lee

#22 Post by Andrew Lee » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:25 am

After much consideration, I am suggesting we fold the CLI entries into the main database. The main reason is because the work required to maintain 2 code bases + 2 websites is not going to be very sustainable for a 1-man programming team in the long run.

I am proposing:

- Slightly different formats for CLI and GUI entries (eg. No icon, usage format instead of screenshots etc.)

- When adding an entry, you have a choice to select either CLI or GUI entry.

- Default search excludes CLIs, search option includes a checkbox to include CLIs

Although this will take some time to implement, in the long run I think it will be more sustainable in terms of fixing bugs and adding new features.

Please give me your feedback.

webfork

#23 Post by webfork » Sun May 09, 2021 9:59 am

I'm a bit slow on the reply here but just to come back to this ...
Andrew Lee wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:25 am
After much consideration, I am suggesting we fold the CLI entries into the main database.
I think that's very reasonable. I definitely understand not wanting to maintain two databases separately and I think those proposed items make a lot of sense.