youtube-dl - multi-site media/video downloader

Submit command line tools that you find here.

Mike.S.G.

Re: youtube-dl - multi-site media/video downloader

#17 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Hi TP109, thanks for the info :)

TP109 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:48 pm Youtube-dlc is almost exactly like youtube-dl, with only a couple of extra command options. Syntax is the same except the need to use youtube-dlc instead of youtube-dl. I'm using the same batch file by replacing youtube-dl with youtube-dlc and it works. l only tried it on YouTube so far.

Youtube-dlc works with ffmpeg and ffprobe the same way.
I dropped youtube-dlc.exe in my \YTDL folder and everyone so far is playing nice and getting along. I found the same commands I'd been using with ytdl.exe works the same on ytdlc.exe as well.

I wanted to see how ytdlc handled links from Vimeo, Bitchute, as well Youtube, I ran a few quick tests, far from conclusive, I just wanted to compare YTDL vs YTDLC... for the most part they are about equal in speed from the time you launch the link to ffmpeg doing its magic. There were a few differences but not really a problem:

YTDL (09-20-2020) was about twice as fast as YTDLC (10-24-2020) when it came to webm from Youtube. Also YTDLC created a file about 15mb larger than YTDL from a Vimeo link, 85mb 720 HD video demo versus 101mb for YTDLC. Except for these differences the other tests (8 in total) were the same speed wise and file size. All links and formats were the same. FFmpeg is the gyan.dev git essentials 10-21-2020 version.

Browsing thru Help these seem to be the new commands in YTDLC, I compared line by line so I figure I got em all..?
--trim-file-name None ... Limit the filename length (extension excluded)

--sleep-subtitles ... Enforce sleep interval on subtitles as well

--youtube-skip-hls-manifest ... Do not download the HLS manifests and related data on YouTube videos

--remux-video FORMAT ... Remux the video to another container format if necessary (currently supported: mp4|mkv, target container format must support video / audio encoding, remuxing may fail)

--ignore-dynamic-mpd ... Do not process dynamic DASH manifests
TP109 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:48 pmPython isn't required for windows. From the 1st link in billion's following post:
Remember youtube-dl requires Python version 2.6, 2.7, or 3.2+ to work except for Windows exe.
Windows exe requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) and does not require Python that is already embedded into the binary.
I just wanted to be sure, the information for YTDLC read a bit less precise for my brain :)
youtube-dlc is a command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites. It requires the Python interpreter, version 2.6, 2.7, or 3.2+
I would say if anyone is using YTDL you might want to drop YTDLC in the folder too.

TP109

#18 Post by TP109 »

Although I didn't go into detail, I did a line by line comparison of the help file as well and also found the differences between Youtube-dl and Youtube-dlc have been minor so far, although according to the Youtube-dlc developers, they planned on improving the program more frequently than Youtube-dl.

Update:
The repository for Youtube-dlc has been taken down by the DMCA:
https://github.com/blackjack4494/youtube-dlc

Apparently youtube-dlc and possibly a few other forks escaped notice the first time around and now they are mopping up the rest.

Mike.S.G.

#19 Post by Mike.S.G. »

ytdlc has been updated to version 2020.10.31 - if you can find your way to the \releases page, if not videohelp has the latest too.

just some fyi from a review on videohelp, can't confirm or deny :) - ytdlc 64-bit won't run on win7 due to the python 3.9 requirement which requires win8.1 and above. ytdlc 32-bit will run on win7.

billon

#21 Post by billon »

freakazoid

#22 Post by freakazoid »

youtube-dl is back on Github, but they had to remove a block of code regarding cipher decryption:
https://github.blog/2020-11-16-standing ... l-is-back/
Last edited by freakazoid on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
is it stealth? ;)

freakazoid

#24 Post by freakazoid »

XDA doesn't mention the cipher decryption removal that led to youtube-dl being reinstated. Here's the portion of the code that was removed: https://github.com/animelover1984/youtu ... 466cf5198d

If the video is copyrighted, then youtube-dl will now show an error instead of decrypting.

Update - That removed code was from a fork. The mainline youtube-dl did not remove the cipher decryption. My bad! Carry on!
is it stealth? ;)

rbon

#25 Post by rbon »

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Mike.S.G.

#26 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Well, yt-dlc lasted maybe a minute and has essentially disappeared, I do hope the dev is fine, not much (I don't believe any at this time) response from him/her about the future of the project.

Anyway, yt-dlc being a fork of yt-dl, we have another fork --> yt-dlp.
More Info --> https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp
Download --> https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases

yt-dl has been back for a while and being updated (latest 03-03-21) which is my first choice but options are nice so I hope some of the TPFC members try yt-dlp out. I still have yt-dlc in the same folder as yt-dl, not sure why I keep it around :)

As well, most TPFC members know but some passers-by may not, that the Windows FFMPEG binaries created by Zeranoe has been gone for some time now, wonderin' what tool Uni-Extractor2 will use, the option to download and update ffmpeg (as far as I can tell) has been removed as an option - I just updated UE2 a few days ago... I update the beta tools. Point is the gyan.dev ( https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/ ) Windows FFMPEG binaries have been a very fine replacement and all seems right with the world. The git-essentials .7z should suffice for most but you can always get the git-full package.

I update any of the ytdl programs when a new release drop,s and maybe twice a month with the ffmpeg binaries and I don't recall having too many issues downloading content from my favorite sites, mostly Youtube and Bitchute, Vimeo once in a while.

\Youtube-DL\
... ffmpeg.exe
... ffprobe.exe
... ytdl.exe
... ytdlc.exe
... ytdlp.exe

Start the programs from your favorite console app (I like console-z) and all is good.

Midas

Re: youtube-dl on Android

#27 Post by Midas »

Now that you speak of it -- youtube-dl and FFmpeg binaries that is -- I have grown used to have them on my Android devices, too.

My howto is rather straightforward:
  • Install and update Termux (https://termux.com/).
  • Use Termux package manager to install FFmpeg (# pkg install ffmpeg).
  • Use Termux to install Python (# pkg install python).
  • Use Python package manager (pip) to install youtube-dl (# pip install youtube-dl).
After that, keeping youtube-dl updated is a smidge different but not any harder:

# pip install --upgrade youtube-dl

If you're on an old or otherwise constrained device, or if you don't have root, there may be additional hurdles to overcome with Termux, but for me it's been cruising all the way.

Mike.S.G.

#28 Post by Mike.S.G. »

I still like yt-dlp but found out by accident from the issues comments that every time yt-dlp is asked to do anything, display help, download or stream video or audio, it extracts about 100+ files, ~22mb every time to the user's \appdata\temp folder. It cleans up after itself.

I'm using yt-dlp with mpc-be.

This may not seem like much but the use on an ssd can add up. If you stream any of those playlists with 60 songs, you know the best of the 90s, whatever - each new song fires up yt-dlp, extracts everything to the temp folder, over and over.

I think the dev mentioned the use of yt-dlp.zip but this is a mess of files (the 103 files, 22mb) to add to an otherwise clean and light folder but it may be the best alternative to the constant writes to your drive. I'm not sure if this is going to be fixed, maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing but all I know is youtube-dl suffered-not from the same issue. I thought python code behaved differently, much cleaner - this seems unneccessarily messy and bloated.

It does appear to be a python version thing, not sure... and I believe I read it was being looked into, that is a different way of compiling the exe.

Anyway, do with the info what you will, just some FYI :)

Midas

#29 Post by Midas »

Youtube-dl v2021.12.17 released... finally! (It hadn't been updated since 2021-06-06 :o ; changes and downloads at https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/releases).

freakazoid

#30 Post by freakazoid »

Mike.S.G. wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:43 am I still like yt-dlp but found out by accident from the issues comments that every time yt-dlp is asked to do anything, display help, download or stream video or audio, it extracts about 100+ files, ~22mb every time to the user's \appdata\temp folder. It cleans up after itself.
I wasn't aware yt-dlp was doing this so I decided to find out more!

According to this thread, if you use the yt-dlp_min.exe version, yt-dlp will not create any temp files.

I've just switched to this one. Thanks for pointing this out, Mike.S.G.
is it stealth? ;)