youtube-dl - multi-site media/video downloader

Submit command line tools that you find here.
TP109

Re: youtube-dl - multi-site media/video downloader

#31 Post by TP109 »

I noticed the execution lag in yt-dlp and with youtube-dl too, but I wasn't aware of the temp file creation issue. I tried yt-dlp_min and it's much faster. Thanks for the tip.

Mike.S.G.

#32 Post by Mike.S.G. »

IIRC I tried the -min.exe but did have a few issues with it due to this version is missing one or more packages versus the rest??? Please report back any issues with the -min version, I think it was with certain streams.

Still, I've become used to extracting the zip and so far I've had no problems, I'm using -win.zip with ffmpeg & ffprobe, as well as mpc-be and all is well :D

Midas

#33 Post by Midas »

Topic update: youtube-dl was updated 2021-12-17 (changes and downloads at https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/releases).

freakazoid wrote: According to this thread, if you use the yt-dlp_min.exe version, yt-dlp will not create any temp files.
Thanks for the sharing.

FYI, yt-dlp also has a 32-bit binary ('yt-dlp_x86.exe'); unfortunately, it's only compatible with Vista SP2 or newer...

freakazoid

#34 Post by freakazoid »

Mike.S.G. wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:26 am IIRC I tried the -min.exe but did have a few issues with it due to this version is missing one or more packages versus the rest??? Please report back any issues with the -min version, I think it was with certain streams.

Still, I've become used to extracting the zip and so far I've had no problems, I'm using -win.zip with ffmpeg & ffprobe, as well as mpc-be and all is well :D
The -min version is missing the pycryptodomex library, which is used for decrypting AES-128 HLS streams. If you're just using it on YouTube, should be fine though. Not sure how often AES-128 HLS streams are used and for which sites.

I also use yt-dlp with ffmpeg and mpc-hc and it works well.
is it stealth? ;)

Mike.S.G.

#35 Post by Mike.S.G. »

I'm thankful that there still exists a tool like this do do the things we ask it to do, IMO mpc-be would be a bit lacking in its ability to stream without the help of yt-dlp... as well yt-dl. I hope yt-dl makes a comeback, despite the recent update yt-dl's future is uncertain, and I would like to see more than one tool.

Most know I figure but for those who've been busy with other things, ffmpeg is at v5.0, lav filters at v0.76, and yt-dlp is at 01-21-2022 (long list of stuff).

I prefer to update mpc-be with beta builds, lav filters (nightlys), ffmpeg (gyan.dev's git-essentials)... I skip a few releases otherwise I'd be updating around the clock (lav had 8+ updates in Jan. 2022 alone), but more importantly (fingers crossed) things have been stable using the non-final branches.

Andrew Lee

#36 Post by Andrew Lee »

Critically, yt-dlp appears to solve the throttling issue for me, which is a real game changer.

Mike.S.G.

#37 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Mike.S.G.

#38 Post by Mike.S.G. »

freakazoid

#39 Post by freakazoid »

freakazoid wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:17 pm The -min version is missing the pycryptodomex library, which is used for decrypting AES-128 HLS streams. If you're just using it on YouTube, should be fine though. Not sure how often AES-128 HLS streams are used and for which sites.
Encountered some HLS streams with encryption.

The cool thing is if you have ffmpeg.exe in the same directory as yt-dlp_min, yt-dlp will use ffmpeg to do the decrypting. So there is nothing to worry about when using yt-dlp_min.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#40 Post by Midas »

freakazoid wrote: According to this thread, if you use the yt-dlp_min.exe version, yt-dlp will not create any temp files.

Just became aware that no mater which version of yt-dlp one might use, it might not be fully portable/stealth without its companion settings file in the proper place...
Portable Configuration: 'yt-dlp.conf' in the same directory as the bundled binary.

Midas

#41 Post by Midas »

Further info I just found regarding this -- as yt-dlp own homepage lists 'yt-dlp_min.exe' as not recommended (and I use both):
Standalone Py2Exe Builds (Windows)

While we provide the option to build with py2exe, it is recommended to build using PyInstaller instead since the py2exe builds cannot contain pycryptodomex/certifi and needs VC++14 on the target computer to run.

On a further note, any info about the hash displayed upon updating with the "-U" parameter is welcome, as I just compared with various hashing algorithms and was unable to find a match.

joby_toss

#42 Post by joby_toss »

TorrentFreak wrote:Youtube-dl Site Goes Offline as Hosting Provider Enforces Court-Ordered Ban
https://torrentfreak.com/youtube-dl-sit ... an-230809/

__philippe

#43 Post by __philippe »

FWIW

CLI Youtube-DL fork "yt-dlp" still works fine as of 11AUG23

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#readme

Midas

#44 Post by Midas »

True: although I still keep it around, youtube-dl was badly outdated, as the last release was v2021.12.17 launched on the corresponding date -- yt-dlp is what to use now. :!:

__philippe

#45 Post by __philippe »

Your friendly CLI downloader, update-of-the-day, freshly harvested :salad:

:eye: also https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

Code: Select all

C:\mytools\yt-dlp -U 

Available version: stable@2023.10.13, Current version: stable@2023.09.24
Current Build Hash: 125465ac4416bcd4bf1632b899630ceecc08b341e83fdf10bd34700c58ea
Updating to stable@2023.10.13 ...
Updated yt-dlp to stable@2023.10.13