FFmpeg on Windows

Submit command line tools that you find here.
juverax

Re: FFmpeg on Windows

#16 Post by juverax »

Thank you for the notice!

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote: Are there any other good sources for pre-built ffmpeg binaries?

See my last post above: those Windows Mplayer builds are currently my preferred ones and they get updated fairly often -- the latest one is dated 2020-06-03.

freakazoid

#18 Post by freakazoid »

Midas wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:16 am
Andrew Lee wrote: Are there any other good sources for pre-built ffmpeg binaries?

See my last post above: those Windows Mplayer builds are currently my preferred ones and they get updated fairly often -- the latest one is dated 2020-06-03.
midas, thanks for posting about Mplayer's ffmpeg builds!
is it stealth? ;)

billon

#19 Post by billon »

billon

#20 Post by billon »

FFmpeg Windows Builds from Gyan Doshi

vevy

#21 Post by vevy »

Thanks. Entry updated.

I decided not to choose one for the download URL field until the dust is settled.

billon

#22 Post by billon »

vevy

#23 Post by vevy »

Added. Thanks.

vevy

#25 Post by vevy »

Added.

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

Midas wrote: Short of compiling it yourself...

We got you covered, anyway... ;)

[media-autobuild_suite] This Windows batch script helps setup a Mingw-w64 compiler environment for building ffmpeg and other media tools under Windows.

FWIW, in a not so recent past I was able to run this Media-AutoBuild Suite (MABS) to successfully compile FFmpeg binaries with non-free libfdk-aac enabled -- after several gigabytes downloads and a couple of hours compiling, that is.

Alas, the last time I tried, after the same chores, I got nowhere (and not particularly fast)...

Midas

#27 Post by Midas »

Midas wrote: ... FFmepg builds that include the non-free Fraunhofer FDK AAC libraries -- ('--enable-libfdk-aac'...

NOTE: you'll have to download the separate ZIPs for the libfdk-aac encoder available further down the page and extract them to the same location of the main FFmpeg executable. :!:

The latest build is currently N-95377-gcc50d113c8, dated 2019-10-15.
Midas wrote: ... those Windows Mplayer builds are currently my preferred ones and they get updated fairly often -- the latest one is dated 2020-06-03.
Topic update: netfarm.it FFmpeg binaries N-104423-g682bafdb12 released 2021-10-24 (no changelog? Follow link above for download).

Midas

#28 Post by Midas »

FFmpeg Mplayer (non-free with libfdk-aac encoder, see above) builds updated 2022-04-07 (currently N-106528-g4fbf3c828b).

FYI and as safeguard, except for the the non-free libfdk-aac libraries, these FFmpeg builds are stored at:

Midas

#29 Post by Midas »

Marginally related -- but a fascinating read for a lazy Sunday ;) -- is the comprehensive overview of people and events in the twenty-odd years history of the FFmpeg project provided by Kostya Shishkov, one of its early developers; it's spread in several blog posts over at:

https://codecs.multimedia.cx/category/cempeg/ffhistory/

Here's a quote from the series epilogue:
Nowadays FFmpeg is mostly used for playing back videos from Internet. If you play, say, MP4 via HLS then it’s HLS protocol handler (mostly a work of Martin Storsjö) feeding data to MP4 demuxer (a work of Baptiste Coudurier) which feeds data to H.264 decoder (initial version by Michael Niedermayer, optimisations by many other people, current design with multithreading and hardware acceleration support is from Alexander Strange and Anton Khirnov) and AAC decoder (mostly by Alex Converse with significant optimisations by Måns Rullgård and others). If you prefer WebM then you’ll get data passed via Matroska demuxer (written by Ronald Bultje) to VP8 or VP9 decoder (written by Ronald in cooperation with other people) or even to AV1 decoder (an external library written by many FFmpeg and x264 developers) and Opus decoder (written by Anton Khirnov).

Andrew Lee

#30 Post by Andrew Lee »

Can't believe I finished reading all of the posts. A truly fascinating read of a large and important open-source project, and some of the players involved. Thanks for sharing the link!