Evernote

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
donald

Re: EverNote Portable Beta

#16 Post by donald »

Cloud = fail

Stand alone software means fewer points of failure. IG: 1 machine 1 copy limited data, oh and possibility of a backup.

I have worked for businesses using cloud based software and with multiple points of failure added, well just think total devastating fail.

Oh and just 1 overworked server holding your data and everyone else with how many possible points of fail?

What could go wrong?

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

Oh and just 1 overworked server holding your data and everyone else with how many possible points of fail?
The focus on a web-based solution is mainly what kept me from adopting this. A lot of people LOVE EverNote and have reasonably good Internet access. However, you're right: I don't want to rely on a net connection to make things work. I'd never buy a ChromeOS laptop (also net-dependent) in its current format.

USB_Kx

#18 Post by USB_Kx »

donald wrote:Cloud = fail

Stand alone software means fewer points of failure. IG: 1 machine 1 copy limited data, oh and possibility of a backup.

I have worked for businesses using cloud based software and with multiple points of failure added, well just think total devastating fail.

What could go wrong?
I agree. Could you give alternatives? Im currently accessing notes from my android phone sychronized with my desktop. Using EverNote only for text notes.

3K3

#19 Post by 3K3 »

@everybody
Making Evernote portable was on my todo list for quite some time.
As soon as I'm finished making portable version (launcher) I will post about it in Portable Freeware Discussion.

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

USB_Kx wrote:Could you give alternatives? Im currently accessing notes from my android phone sychronized with my desktop. Using EverNote only for text notes.
http://simplenoteapp.com/ which works with ResophNotes. I don't much care for ResophNotes, but there's other software it'll work with.

Midas

#21 Post by Midas »

QuickFox Notes (http://inbasic.mozdev.org/root/ext3/home/) is a Firefox addon that works with simplenoteapp.com. On the Android side, you can use mNote (my choice), or Flick Note or Andro Noter for making text notes...

USB_Kx

#22 Post by USB_Kx »

i'd prefer the resophnotes path as my main desktop doesnt always have a connection (to be able to view and edit notes offline is a big plus). the only problem is that resophnotes keep on crashing on me whenever i type something on the search bar.

anyway, i'll be testing the other suggested apps. i appreciate the replies. thank you both.

3K3

#23 Post by 3K3 »

3K3 wrote:@everybody
Making Evernote portable was on my todo list for quite some time.
As soon as I'm finished making portable version (launcher) I will post about it in Portable Freeware Discussion.
As I promised here is Evernote Portable:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =2&t=16544

webfork

Re: Evernote

#24 Post by webfork »

At the suggestion of someone up at work, I decided to give this a shot but my company doesn't have a sense of humor about web apps so I had to take some extra steps before usage:

Disabling sync

I took extra precautions to make sure it doesn't communicate with by editing the hosts file and adding this to a new line at the end:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
0.0.0.0 evernote.com

Thread on disabling sync:
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/3 ... sync-ever/

Keep in mind that this means you will not have access to Evernote's OCR for your images.

You can also check the Account Info window (aka "Usage") to make sure no data is transmitted.

Evernote's image editor

I still prefer the Greenshot image editor over everything else I've tried (free or commercial), but the crop function, stamps, and text elements here are all very nice (see Evernote Skitch).

Other notes:

* It chokes hard on any kind of Outlook message formatting, though that's nothing new. Even Microsoft chokes on Outlook-formatted messages sometimes.

* The PDF viewer works fine but the ability to annotate isn't.