Album Art Downloader [DotNET image utility]

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
the accountant

Album Art Downloader [DotNET image utility]

#1 Post by the accountant »

Added to Database. Please vote if you like it. I found it by accident but havent used it myself.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1707

joby_toss

Re: Album Art Downloader

#2 Post by joby_toss »

I like this program but it is not portable.
Modifies the registry, writes to %appdata% and I'm pretty sure it needs .net v2.0.

Ruby

#3 Post by Ruby »

Actually .net v3.0 here's their page on Hydrogenaudio
the accountant wrote:Added to Database. Please vote if you like it. I found it by accident but havent used it myself.
I'm a little curious, why would you add something to the database you haven't even tried/tested?

flector

#4 Post by flector »

I tried it, it works. It also hits every single music vendor in sight.

MiDoJo

#5 Post by MiDoJo »

flector wrote:I tried it, it works. It also hits every single music vendor in sight.
Wonderful except it's not portable; breaks many of the ideals set by this site and the OP didn't even bother to test it first much less check it for portablility

PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT WITHOUT TESTING AND DON'T SUBMIT THINGS THAT ARE NOT PORTABLE. If you don't know what the community considers portable, then read the forums and don't submit til you understand.
'nuff said

the accountant

#6 Post by the accountant »

Wonderful except it's not portable; breaks many of the ideals set by this site and the OP didn't even bother to test it first much less check it for portablility

PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT WITHOUT TESTING AND DON'T SUBMIT THINGS THAT ARE NOT PORTABLE. If you don't know what the community considers portable, then read the forums and don't submit til you understand.
'nuff said
Thanks Midojo,

I think we all understand the point of portable apps, otherwise there wouldnt be so many users here. I tested with MJregwatcher and previosly with regfromapp. However i forgot that .net is on my machine. I dont like submitting stuff here which gets rejected when i get .net back from the main players. Do you think i like wasting 15 mins of my life each time i submit a listing? I just spent the morning trying to remove .net from win 7 x64 using dotnet cleanup tool which does not work on this os! Maybe you prefer that people dont try to submit apps to db and just list them on forum and expect others to do their work as was the previous case here - I dont! I want give back to this community as much as i get. And before you say Sandboxie, a 64 bit version has only been in play since 1 month. I just started using this morning because this app has not been 64 bit before whereas my machine has been 64 bit for 1 year.

Maybe you can use you excellent understanding of software to create a proper .net uninstaller for windows 7 or create a online virtual test environment for this site rather than criticize honest mistakes!

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

I don't think .net can be removed from win7!
It is an integrated part of the OS, not an addon like before.

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

No you can remove it, http://www.blogsdna.com/4171/how-to-com ... dows-7.htm but it will probably break the system. For example I think Microsoft Office relies a little bit on .NET

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote:I like this program but it is not portable. Modifies the registry, writes to %appdata% and I'm pretty sure it needs .net v2.0.
Why is Album Art Downloader in the DB then?

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

I have no idea (didn't add it, didn't vote it). Maybe my test was off ...

Emka

#11 Post by Emka »

I think it does not (any more) write to registry, but it does still leave a folder in AppData.
The settings there are, I would say, non-crucial. Deleting it does not break the programme. Maybe a launcher could take care of that.

I am Baas

#12 Post by I am Baas »

1. user.config in AppData\Local\AlbumArtDownloader\AlbumArt.exe_Url_badoot4fiifhnrxtcstjqvwnajrfhuef\0.44.0.0
2. boo script cache.dll in AppData\Local\AlbumArtDownloader\AlbumArt.exe_Url_badoot4fiifhnrxtcstjqvwnajrfhuef\0.44.0.0\Scripts

@Emka
How would you go about disabling auto check for update if you delete the config file?

Emka

#13 Post by Emka »

I am Baas wrote:How would you go about disabling auto check for update if you delete the config file?
You're right there.

I am Baas

#14 Post by I am Baas »

Well, Midas should downvote Album Art Downloader.

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

Done!