HBBatchBeast for HandBrake and FFmpeg/FFprobe

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Andrew Lee

HBBatchBeast for HandBrake and FFmpeg/FFprobe

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

I was looking for a freeware tool that will help go through a folder of video files and highlight the bad ones.

The only one I was able to find after much research is HBBatchBeast:

https://github.com/HaveAGitGat/HBBatchBeast

It makes use of Handbrake (in scan mode) and ffprobe to do the job (both tools are bundled, no separate download required).

I didn't really like the slightly unconventional UI, but I am happy to report that it did the job after an 11-hour run, highlighting problems with 22 out of 3700+ files.

It has other functionalities as well, which I didn't test:
A free GUI application for HandBrake and FFmpeg/FFprobe on Windows, macOS and Linux (+ Linux Docker image) with an emphasis on multi HandBrake/FFmpeg instance batch conversion (including recursive folder scans and folder watching). The destination folder structure is kept the same as the source folder structure. Media in subfolders is also converted. Multiple folders can be monitored and different conversion presets can be specified for each folder. Also included:

-Remote monitoring feature to monitor batch file conversions in any browser

-Basic h265 benchmarking

-Health check feature which can scan for corrupt video files using HandBrake (quick scan) or FFmpeg (thorough scan), although this is not always accurate. Attempt repair file feature included too.
Unfortunately, HBBatchBeast is not settings-portable as far as I can tell. Settings are stored in the user profile folder.

If you know of any other tools that perform video file verification, I am all ears. Thanks.

webfork

Re: HBBatchBeast for HandBrake and FFmpeg/FFprobe

#2 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:42 pm I didn't really like the slightly unconventional UI, but I am happy to report that it did the job after an 11-hour run, highlighting problems with 22 out of 3700+ files.
I actually have a bunch of media files (video and otherwise) that I want to check. Good to know.
Andrew Lee wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:42 pm If you know of any other tools that perform video file verification, I am all ears. Thanks.
Yeah that's a new topic for me as well.