ArrowDL (download manager; formerly DownZemAll!)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

ArrowDL (download manager; formerly DownZemAll!)

#1 Post by Midas »

As a former user of DownThemAll! Firefox extension, a new(-ish) development named DownZemAll! readily piqued my curiosity, although I haven't had the time to really check it.

DownZemAll! is multi-platform but I'm assuming the Windows (MSVC) version to be Electron-based, hence my post to "Not Portable".
DownZemAll! is a rewrite of the legacy software DownThemAll! which was an extension for Mozilla Firefox, but whose development stopped around 2016, when Mozilla Firefox migrated to WebExtensions. DownZemAll! is a standalone download manager for Windows, MacOS and Linux. It aims to work with latest versions of Mozilla Firefox [...], and other web browsers [...]. DownZemAll! is written in C++ and based on the Qt5 framework.
The internal web engine is currently:
  • Google Gumbo Parser, for the MinGW and GNU versions.
Gumbo is a small pure-C HTML5 parser (but doesn't parse Javascript)
  • Chromium, for the MSVC version.
Chromium is a powerful web engine (parses HTML+Javascript)

DownZemAll! latest version is v2.4.3, released 2021-10-10 (changelog and downloads at https://github.com/setvisible/DownZemAll/releases).

webfork

Re: DownZemAll! (download manager)

#2 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:12 am DownZemAll! is multi-platform but I'm assuming the Windows (MSVC) version to be Electron-based, hence my post to "Not Portable".
Great find -- it doesn't look to be Electron but QT based. I definitely look forward to testing this out.

And yes DownThemAll (as you mentioned) was a long-favorite Firefox add-on.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

So some good news here -- appears to NOT be Electron (it's QT based), makes a portable version available, and is coming up green in my tests ...

Steps: Download portable version, unzip, run downzemall.exe

Status: Portable, writes to the local folder. Something in settings seems to point to a .cache folder in the user directory (bad) but it didn't actually seem to appear on my system in testing (good).

License: LGPL

One open question is how well it works outside of integration with a browser, which the site advertises prominently.

JohnTHaller

#4 Post by JohnTHaller »

It's not electron, but it's still using the full Qt web browser components which is why it's 133MB installed. Just the Qt5WebEngineCore.dll itself is 75MB. A little curious why someone would choose this over using the 3Mb DownThemAll extension.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

JohnTHaller wrote: A little curious why someone would choose this over using the 3Mb DownThemAll extension.
I, for one, was under the impression it was no longer being developed -- well, turns out, I was wrong:

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:08 am A little curious why someone would choose this over using the 3Mb DownThemAll extension.
I'm putting it through the paces to try and grab a bag of PDFs for some research I'm doing. There's media tools, torrenting, and some batch operations that I don't think are available in DownThemAll. I'll try to follow up with more info if I keep using it.

JohnTHaller

#7 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:38 pm I'm putting it through the paces to try and grab a bag of PDFs for some research I'm doing. There's media tools, torrenting, and some batch operations that I don't think are available in DownThemAll. I'll try to follow up with more info if I keep using it.
Thanks. If there are some genuine advantages to it, that would be great to know.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Got to run some testing this week and put together some usage notes:

PROS

* Firefox plugin needs to be executed manually - it doesn't take over downloads from the main program. The plugin itself is clearly built either from or to resemble DownThemAll.
* The download process itself works great. Tested with over a gig of ZIP files and it grabbed everything with no issue.
* Low system resource usage, even with very high download requirements (in this case, a 4-part, 18mbps download hovered at around 8% CPU usage)

CONS

* Can't select number of downloads at a given time (it's set to 4 simultaneous downloads). I haven't tested the streaming tools or torrent functionality.
* That's a speed limit option but it doesn't do anything. I assume that's limited to Torrenting.

Tested v.2.5.7

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Update: What looks like a minor update puts the program at v2.5.8 with an update for downloading Youtube videos.

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

With v4.0.0, DownZemAll! has been renamed -- it's now called ArrowDL and the homepage moved to https://www.arrow-dl.com/.
ArrowDL is a mass download manager for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It helps you to select, organize, prioritize and run your downloads in parallel. Based on the Qt5 framework, ArrowDL is written in C/C++. It’s a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") software. Its use is governed by LGPL License.

DownRightNow is an add-on for Chrome/Firefox. It connects ArrowDL with your web browser. This extension helps you to download all the links and media you can find on the Web. When you visit a page, click to DownRightNow to see the content of the page.

ArrowDL further changes and download at https://github.com/setvisible/ArrowDL/releases/.

hamasaki

Re: ArrowDL (download manager; formerly DownZemAll!)

#11 Post by hamasaki »

Website doesn't seem to be loading at the moment:
"www.arrow-dl.com sent an invalid response."

Midas

Re: ArrowDL (download manager; formerly DownZemAll!)

#12 Post by Midas »

hamasaki wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:36 pm Website doesn't seem to be loading at the moment: "www.arrow-dl.com sent an invalid response."

Looks like the top level domain isn't redirecting as it should, Firefox shows me what's below -- please use https://www.arrow-dl.com/ArrowDL/... :|