Obsidian - markdown editor

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

Obsidian - markdown editor

#1 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: this thread was split from Knowlege management / connected markdown editors (Electron-based).]

---

Obsidian is one of two very smart markdown editor tools that I've seen some very encouraging things from. The programs share a lot in common, including their install behavior, so I initially gave them a united post. Zettlr is the other program and unfortunately despite a preference for their open license, I just kept tripping over small issues.

https://obsidian.md/ (liteware)

Status: Not portable, writes program and all settings to the AppData folder.

Midas

Re: Knowlege management / connected markdown editors (Electron-based)

#2 Post by Midas »

Recent debate in the Obsidian forum about the security implications of it being an Electron app:
After reading somewhere that Obsidian is an electron app I wondered what this means and I started to read about electron on the web.

webfork

Re: Obsidian - markdown editor

#3 Post by webfork »

Update: Obsidian 1.4.5 came out a few days ago (2023-08-31).

This program has completely taken over my workflow and unified a lot of note taking tools I have. I still use Zettlr for quickly importing things like MS Word and HTML into markdown, but Obsidian's unifying content and customization has been a game-changer. It's become a daily use program now for the past few months.

Supposedly there's a portable mode available via an interesting "Enigma protector" packaging software that reminds me of VMWare Thinstall

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/obsidian-ru ... ode/915/20

I haven't tested this, in part because it's a lot of dependencies and we're already dealing with a Universal Extractor 2 project that seems to have stopped development.

lintalist

#4 Post by lintalist »

webfork wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:02 pmSupposedly there's a portable mode available via an interesting "Enigma protector" packaging software that reminds me of VMWare Thinstall
Sounds like overkill?
Doesn't the trick posted by hamasaki viewtopic.php?p=105368#p105368 work as it is electron?
(doesn't take care of registry traces but the "data" should now be in your defined folder)

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

lintalist wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:54 am
webfork wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:02 pmSupposedly there's a portable mode available via an interesting "Enigma protector" packaging software that reminds me of VMWare Thinstall
Sounds like overkill?
Doesn't the trick posted by hamasaki viewtopic.php?p=105368#p105368 work as it is electron?
(doesn't take care of registry traces but the "data" should now be in your defined folder)
It's certainly overkill.

The key thing about Obsidian is the available plug-ins. Really the program is just kind of an odd markdown editor without the amazing customization. I'd read about it for years as this end-all editor and now I really get it.

As such, I've been waiting for the dust will settle on this, maybe something like Zettlr on PortableApps. Everytime I seem to chase manual portable status, it seems to only work for one release. And for a program in active development that's a lot of extra monitoring.