Copiaris (scriptable copy/backup utility)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

Copiaris (scriptable copy/backup utility)

#1 Post by Midas »

Moonsoftware's Copiaris looked unique enough to hold my attention. Unfortunately I can't really test it right now as well I should, so I'm submitting it to TPFC to see what the community will make of it.

The main highlight here is the fact that Copiaris is scriptable -- scripts are plain text files with INI-like formatting (see below for an example) -- in both GUI and CLI modalities; it also comes very well documented with a 65 page PDF user guide, supports file versioning and is "shadow copy" compatible (i.e., Windows VSS).

Copiaris is liteware but the freeware can be turned into the full version once a valid license key is supplied; limitations of the free version are detailed upfront at:

Copiaris installer can be (Uni)extracted easily but it requires running the installer for the extraction to work -- see Uniextractor's warning dialog below.

Copiaris (formerly Backup Magic) is Unicode-aware file copy, backup and automation tool for advanced users and IT professionals. It allows to design and execute foolproof click-to-run or unattended file copy scenarios that are as simple or complicated as needed. Lite version is free for private and commercial use but has some limitations.

Copiaris latest release installer (currently v2.3.4) can be downloaded from http://www.moonsoftware.com/downloads.

Lastly, here's a sample Copiaris script.

Code: Select all

[Copiaris]
Version=2.3.0
ScriptID=130921175731
TasksCount=2
Elevate=0

[BackupSet]
WolEnabled=1
Log=0
WolIP=192.168.1.10
WolMAC=Write MAC of your NAS here
EndAction=7

[Task1]
Type=2
Drive=\\nas\backup
Timeout=300

[Task2]
Type=3
Text=NAS is now accessible.<nl><nl>Keep this message on screen until you have finished working with NAS, then press OK to close.

webfork

Re: Copiaris (scriptable copy/backup utility)

#2 Post by webfork »

Good find here -- this is a very competent program to be offering in a freeware (or liteware in this case) version. The functionality is very impressive with batch renaming, loads of versioning options, filters, shadow copying, etc. The interface looks good as well -- I always like to see programs that play both in the text file and checklist-style scripting camps, as well as CLI. If you were looking for an introductory program for handling admin functions, you could do a lot worse.

I am curious how they mean to enable "minimal disk I/O to offer high performance, especially noticeable when copying over network" ... How exactly does that work? Delta copying?