RocketCake - A free responsive website editor, made portable

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
aazard

RocketCake - A free responsive website editor, made portable

#1 Post by aazard »

Please approve this:

b]RocketCake[/b], a free responsive website editor, found at https://ambiera.com/rocketcake/

Process to make portable:

1: install application as normal from its setup file > Copy ALL FILES (hidden included) the install directory to new location

- or, if you want to avoid that process: use the universal extractor and remove the un-needed files

2: Remove "uninstall.exe" & unwanted txt files

3: Optionally; Remove any unneeded files in "language" folder (but main "rwe_language_en.xml")

4: Optionally; Remove any unneeded files in "templates" folder (ones you know you dont need/use)

5: Create an empty text file named RocketCake.ini and paste the following contents:

Code: Select all

[Settings]

6: Run app from new location via "RocketCake.exe" to ensure it works

7: Run "Portable App Compactor" on Rocketcakes new folder (setting LZMA, yes to zip/jar files ) to shrink files

If you keep all language and template files new size is 11.5mb

BUT, If you keep only 1 language and 1 "blank/Clean Site" template file new size is 5.5mb

Here is temp link to self extracting 7zip archive, all templates, but with English Language only:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q1giqlwhk ... 5.exe/file

NOTE: AUTHOR OF "POST2BLOG" is a contributer to alpha! (Or a user with same username in alpha test, atleast)

Alternatives
  1. Publii Portable (Current, WILL UPDATE, made by me)
  2. OpenElement Portable (Current, WILL UPDATE, made by me)
  3. Open Live Writer can also be made portable (MUCH HARDER, made by me)
  4. Post2Blog Portable (LAST v3.0.1 made by me) **SO SIMPLE IT STILL WORKS!** REPLACED BY THIS (ROCKETCAKE)
  5. BlueGriffon Portable (BROKEN OPENSOURCE IDEALS aka FREEMIUM)
  6. KompoZer Portable (BROKEN FUNCTIONS)
  7. Zoundry Raven Portable (BROKEN FUNCTIONS)
  8. Nvu Portable (BROKEN FUNCTIONS)
* Open Live Writer can also be made portable (MUCH HARDER, not practical pragmatically difficult (SEES EACH RUN AS 1ST RUN!), made by me)

TP109

Re: RocketCake - **PLEASE APPROVE COMMUNITY!** - A free responsive website editor, made portable

#2 Post by TP109 »

aazard wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:27 pm - or, if you want to avoid that process: use the universal extractor and remove the un-needed files
Extracted this app and created RocketCake.ini in the app's folder. Runs fine, but writes settings to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ambiera\RocketCake. Nothing saved to the RocketCake.ini file.

webfork

Re: RocketCake

#3 Post by webfork »

Hello aazard and welcome to the site -- a few things here ...
  • Adding - I recommend posting here about a program before adding it to the database. It's clear you feel like this is a great program, but because going live depends on votes, posting to the Submission forum lets you gauge interest and (if there's a draw) to get assistance with testing. For example right now the entry lists "None I have located yet" for settings, so there's a chance it might not be portable.
  • Format - Although there no rules around how an entry must look to get voted, it's more likely to get the votes needed if it roughly looks like other entries here on the site.
  • Non-standard downloads - Posting a link to a program download that isn't from the publisher is something we try to avoid. This is for a few reasons, including some virus tools may identify the download wrongly as being malicious, and developers may not want to support modified software. So the mediafire link is probably not ideal.

To be clear, I do appreciate that you took the time to find a way to make RocketCake portable.
  • How to extract - Where possible, shorter processes are easier to follow and more likely to get tested. You might push the "optional" items such as deleting necessary files or compression to the end

aazard

#4 Post by aazard »

webfork wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:57 pm Hello aazard and welcome to the site -- a few things here ...
  • Adding - I recommend posting here about a program before adding it to the database. It's clear you feel like this is a great program, but because going live depends on votes, posting to the Submission forum lets you gauge interest and (if there's a draw) to get assistance with testing. For example right now the entry lists "None I have located yet" for settings, so there's a chance it might not be portable.
  • Format - Although there no rules around how an entry must look to get voted, but it's more likely to get the votes needed if it roughly looks like other entries here on the site.
  • Non-standard downloads - Posting a link to a program download that isn't from the publisher is something we try to avoid. This is for a few reasons, including some virus tools may identify the download wrongly as being malicious, and developers may not want to support modified software. So the mediafire link is probably not ideal.

To be clear, I do appreciate that you took the time to find a way to make RocketCake portable.
  • How to extract - Where possible, shorter processes are easier to follow and more likely to get tested. You might push the "optional" items such as deleting necessary files or compression to the end
Hi, thanks!

I do indeed think it a decent addition. Light enough to run on any basic mini PC or "light laptop"", effective, current (as of post date). Only similar "current" apps are:

On site:

BlueGriffon Portable (I dislike "Feemium" open source" it leads to crippleware or loss of free version overall, payware with free versions tend to offer "more & last")

Will Add:

• Publii Portable (much larger @ 336mb needs a mordern system to run well, WILL UPDATE after this is approved, made by me)
  • OpenElement Portable (slightly larger @137mb, but requires more power, Pentium Gold or an AM4 Athlon 3000G would do it, WILL UPDATE after this/above are approved, made by me)
OLD, but works 100% Still, Will add:
  • Post2Blog Portable ( 8mb, LAST v3.0.1, made by me) **Runs on a Sub-1Ghz Pentium 3 & SO SIMPLE IT STILL WORKS!** Now REPLACED by ROCKETCAKE, imho
App Issues:

Open Live Writer can also be made portable (MUCH HARDER, always acts like its "1st run setup", and other options TRUMP IT, made by me)

OTHERS:

LMMS: https://lmms.io/ @ 37.2mb Portable version made by me SUPER HARD TO FIGURE OUT FIRST TIME (nothing was posted online but "not possible")
LMMS is a sound generation system, synthesizer, beat/bassline editor and MIDI control system which can power an entire home studio. Sounds and tones can be generated, played and artfully arranged to create entire tracks easily, giving you the opportunity to create music from beginning to end. The tools to create the sounds, arrange the sounds and rhythms to create tracks, layer the tracks to create songs, and then save the songs to an output format are all there, ready for you to use. LMMS can also connect to your MIDI keyboard, allowing you to play music live. LMMS seems to have much in common (at leas in principle) with Apple's Garage Band, FL Studio (formerly Fruity Loops), Logic Studio, Beat Machine Pro and similar powerful audio tools. In terms of capability, LMMS easily matches the lower to middle-tier professional tools available, making it a great introduction to audio production which is constantly developing.
............................ On topic to your reply:

1:Can you assist in an example "clean" but still highlighing key points format example?

2:Where do I link the "pre-made" content (or is that a violation of rules)

3: Is this not a simple example? Thoughts on how to "make it better?"
Last edited by aazard on Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 am, edited 14 times in total.

aazard

Re: RocketCake - **PLEASE APPROVE COMMUNITY!** - A free responsive website editor, made portable

#5 Post by aazard »

TP109 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:48 pm
aazard wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:27 pm - or, if you want to avoid that process: use the universal extractor and remove the un-needed files
Extracted this app and created RocketCake.ini in the app's folder. Runs fine, but writes settings to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ambiera\RocketCake. Nothing saved to the RocketCake.ini file.
Thanks....I missed that

Thoughts on fixing/avoiding this? I can add a "cleanup.bat" but thats a "hack job" band-aid... not a fix.. maybe manually deleting "Software\Ambiera\RocketCake" regkey after 1st run on a system, and it will stay "gone"? (still a hack)?

Unless its a harmless bit of trash (this is a windows app....)

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

aazard wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 am Thoughts on fixing/avoiding this? I can add a "cleanup.bat" but thats a "hack job" band-aid... not a fix.. maybe manually deleting "Software\Ambiera\RocketCake" regkey after 1st run on a system, and it will stay "gone"? (still a hack)?
There are some smart tools and workarounds for this sort of thing, but because one tweak can break at the next program update, my own track (not everyone on the site has this same approach) is to reach out to the developer and ask for it to save settings to the local folder.
aazard wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 am1:Can you assist in an example "clean" but still highlighing key points format example?
Sorry, not sure what you mean here.
aazard wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 am2:Where do I link the "pre-made" content (or is that a violation of rules)
We're all volunteers so there's not exactly a quality assurance effort to make sure that all content is original, but definitely don't want to use a program synopsis from Softpedia, as that's copyrighted. But you might draw from the developer's own description, as we're assuming they don't mind when promoting their tools.
aazard wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 am3: Is this not a simple example? Thoughts on how to "make it better?"
Again, not sure what you're asking here -- did you mean about content? I put together some suggestions on how to write/edit an entry, part of a group of site resources.

aazard

#7 Post by aazard »

aazard wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 am
TP109 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:48 pm
Thanks....I missed that

Thoughts on fixing/avoiding this? I can add a "cleanup.bat" but thats a "hack job" band-aid... not a fix.. maybe manually deleting "Software\Ambiera\RocketCake" regkey after 1st run on a system, and it will stay "gone"? (still a hack)?

Unless its a harmless bit of trash (this is a windows app....)

Thank you, the confusing questions were: in plain words.... "How do I clean up my post to be more to the community standard"

You answered with the "how to make a post" link, thank you

I will host, the "Turn key", aka: ALREADY MADE FOR YOU, just extract to your desired location & run it, on my neocities website, with the total virus scan report & MD5, if thats more acceptable?

I will also of course continue to link publisher source

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

aazard wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:40 pm I will host, the "Turn key", aka: ALREADY MADE FOR YOU, just extract to your desired location & run it, on my neocities website, with the total virus scan report & MD5, if thats more acceptable?
While we do use mediafire links, it's rare we aim for the exact file that the dev was distributing. Assuming you find a way to make the program portable, I'd recommend the developer's download and then list out the steps to modify, similar to the FreeOffice entry. Folks that want to go through the VirusTotal checks can download it from your link here the forums.

TP109

Re: RocketCake - A free responsive website editor, made portable

#9 Post by TP109 »

t
aazard wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 am Thoughts on fixing/avoiding this?
Although the language setting is written to the registry and remains set, no other settings under options are saved to the registry or to a file. Although the user can change any option, other than the language setting, the others will reset to their original defaults when the program is re-launched. This behavior is consistent whether the program is extracted or installed.

It appears there are functional as well as portability issues with the program. I tested the program using Windows 7 64-bit.

aazard

#10 Post by aazard »

TP109 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:27 pm t
aazard wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 am Thoughts on fixing/avoiding this?
Although the language setting is written to the registry and remains set, no other settings under options are saved to the registry or to a file. Although the user can change any option, other than the language setting, the others will reset to their original defaults when the program is re-launched. This behavior is consistent whether the program is extracted or installed.

It appears there are functional as well as portability issues with the program. I tested the program using Windows 7 64-bit.
Other than preferences reset, have you had issues "Using it to make a site"?

I have tested on a dell laptop (that did not have program installed, source is purly from usb) running run windows 10, I made and uploaded a simple "quick hello world edit" to a template test site with no issues

TP109

#11 Post by TP109 »

aazard wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:34 am Other than preferences reset, have you had issues "Using it to make a site"?

I have tested on a dell laptop (that did not have program installed, source is purly from usb) running run windows 10, I made and uploaded a simple "quick hello world edit" to a template test site with no issues
I was primarily interested in whether the program was portable or not and if would generally work when extracted - I didn't test every single feature.

Perhaps those using other Windows operating systems would have different results or can verify what I found. I tested it only on Windows 7 64-bit.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

aazard wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:34 am Other than preferences reset, have you had issues "Using it to make a site"?
I've always got a use for a solid HTML editor -- I'll try to test it out in the coming weeks.

aazard

#13 Post by aazard »

webfork wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:26 pm
I've always got a use for a solid HTML editor -- I'll try to test it out in the coming weeks.
What do you think? For its size and system resources needs vs results?

Its not "that far" behind "Open element" or "Publii" considering its lightning fast on a 1ghz atom cpu

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:26 pm I've always got a use for a solid HTML editor -- I'll try to test it out in the coming weeks.
Update here:

---

Status: Not portable. I couldn't get it to write to the local settings file as described in the process above. On the upside, there weren't that many settings to modify so it might still qualify for some folks as portable. Also the uninstall leaves a bunch of files behind in the Program Files (x86) directory.

Usage notes:

Having used a LOT of programs like this extensively, including the commercial Dreamweaver and the free Kompzer, I will say I'm very impressed by some of the available functionality but I'm a little frustrated that the program tries to hide the HTML it generates. My experience with these kinds of tools is that this is problematic because no front-end function ever gets it *quite* right. There's always some code tweak you have to make.

Still in terms of simplicity and functionality of this free program, I'm very impressed. The mobile viewer, image gallery/slideshow tools are very helpful. On the downside, there aren't a lot of hotkeys that I could tell, so for example there's no quick way to quickly add HTML links (e.g. CTRL+K on LibreOffice). Since creating lots of links is the #1 activity with HTML editors, that's a lot of right-click and paste steps. I might draw them up in another editor and then paste them into RocketCake.

juverax

#15 Post by juverax »

Rocketcake ( https://ambiera.com/rocketcake/ ) now at version v. 4.2.1