Microsoft Photo Editor

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

Microsoft Photo Editor

#1 Post by webfork »

Rudy5 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Download: https://microsoft-photo-editor.apponic.com/

Status: Not portable - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Photo Editor and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Imager
Yet another thanks to add to the pile for testing this one. I loved the transparency tool in this program.

---

Personal story ahead that doesn't really have anything to do with the photo editor or portability ...

My relationship with this program in part created my interested in portable freeware.  As mentioned above, the transparency tool in this program was (probably still is) fantastic and I was using it in web development applications constantly.  Then Microsoft pulled it out of their photo application and replaced it with a photo manager.  I spent a LOT of time trying to find a program that would mimic this functionality and never really succeeded (GIMP comes the closest).

This whole thing happened again when Microsoft Photo Manager, got pulled from the latest version of Office.  Again, that program's one great feature (a great thumbnail batch editor), was just irreplacable.  A lot of posts here on the site come from an effort to find that (the closest I came was digiKam: viewtopic.php?p=65735#p65735)

It is of course possible to get both programs by jumping through some hoops, but it was a case of Microsoft deciding what is and is not important.

webfork

Re: Microsoft Photo Editor

#2 Post by webfork »

Update on this: While I still haven't found something that 100% replaces the old MS photo editor (as mentioned above), I have come very close: FocusOn Image Viewer does 80% of what I needed and (of course) does some things much better, including basic photo edits.

Easy batch file management tools will probably always be a drive for me to continue researching freeware tools.