Photoflare (Qt-based image editor)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

Photoflare (Qt-based image editor)

#1 Post by Midas »

Multi-platform FLOSS Photoflare (https://photoflare.io/) is in active development, with a v2 coming soon, and offers a portable package for download (untested!), so I think it deserves a mention here at TPFC forums.
An effort to bring quick, simple but powerful image editing to the masses. Photoflare is inspired by the image editor currently only available on Microsoft Windows -– PhotoFiltre. However, it will not be a straight clone. It is being built from the ground up to be much improved and cross platform too!

You can download Photoflare portable ZIP archive (currently v1.6.2) from https://photoflare.io/downloads/.

Midas

Re: Photoflare (Qt-based image editor)

#2 Post by Midas »

Rudy5 wrote: So, if you didn't test it why did you put it in portable submission? :lol:

Not portable - settings to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\photoflare.io. Also Qtproject registry key

Cause it alleges portability? :thinking:

IMHO, it's better to submit a wrongful entry that cares about it (and might get it in time, with some gentle prodding from our community), than let it pass unchecked...

Anyway, thanks for testing -- shoving to "Not portable". :see_no_evil:

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

:smile_cat:
Rudy5 wrote: Does not support drag n drop, wth?

Multi-platform usually means less standard features, in my experience. :expressionless:

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

inspired by the image editor currently only available on Microsoft Windows -– PhotoFiltre
PhotoFiltre is right here on the site and a great program, so I'm glad to see someone try to borrow from that software to build something great. I will say the program still feels early stage and there's some more work is needed before it surpasses some of our existing tools.

As already noted (I ran this test last week but didn't get a post up about it) confirmed not portable ... steps:

1. Download and unzip portable version
2. Launch ce_photoflare.exe

Status: Not portable, writes to Computer\HKEY_USERS\..\Software\photoflare.io

Resource usage: 31 megs disk / 23 megs RAM

Other notes

* Could not figure out how to set the transparent color
* This is not a painting program similar to Krita or MyPaint - you'd want to use a mouse to interact with it
* Some nice batch functions
* Unclear compression settings
* Filters don't have a lot of controls, they're sort of one-size functions, which is fine but definitely below the capability of programs like PhotoQt and Photodemon
* Not sure what the selection function does (the arrow icon). You can select something but no other action seems to JUST affect the selected area apart from Copy-Paste

---

Really like the pricing function here: https://photoflare.io/pricing/ ... I think this is a good framework for running a free / open project and getting funding and involvement. I wish them luck.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Still in development with some updates just a few days ago:
https://photoflare.io/photoflare-v1-6-9-released/

Smaragdus opened a case about this a few years back about portability, so it may be time for a retest: https://github.com/PhotoFlare/photoflare/issues/172

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

Tested v1.6.9 on a whim.

Still writes settings to registry as far as I can tell...

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:54 am Tested v1.6.9 on a whim.

Still writes settings to registry as far as I can tell...
Thanks for checking

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Been doing a lot more graphics junk lately so wanted to point out some great things about this tool:

Very good / great
  • Ability to add a transparent color - reminds me very much of the old MS Image Editor with Office 2003. Works great.
  • Auto-crop images
  • Easy color replace option via the Hue variation tool (pictured below)

Wishlist
  • Drag-and-drop image add.
  • More image formats -- currently just PNG, BMP, JPG, ICO, and lesser-used PBM, PGM, PPM.
  • More options on filters. For example "oil paint" filter just has one option. Your only option is to repeat the action to make it more intense
  • Save settings between changes. There are some image presets, but would like to see more of this because I tend to repeat a lot of my editor actions.