9 [MakeMKV]

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Rudy5

9 [MakeMKV]

#1 Post by Rudy5 »

https://www.makemkv.com/
MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs.
Last edited by Rudy5 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Specular

Re: MakeMKV

#2 Post by Specular »

Great program.
Rudy5 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:12 pmStatus: Not portable - writes to HKCU\Software\MakeMKV and if you enable logging leaves a text file at User Profile
From what I can tell even without enabling logging MakeMKV uses a fixed program data location in the User directory, where it stores hashes, dumps and such, while a separate directory customizable in the settings is used for any non-GUI options the user wants to override.

Specular

#3 Post by Specular »

Rudy5 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:26 am Yes but you can change that directory from program's settings
On my up to date install the 'data' directory defined in the settings is different from the directory being currently used by MakeMKV for its hashes, dumps and such. Read also a topic on the official forums which appeared to make the distinction between the program data and user data directories, from what I can tell saying the one defined in the settings is for the latter (and seemed to be for non-GUI settings changed).

Perhaps there's something I'm missing though? Is yours defined to a custom path and MakeMKV is utilizing it for its standard data?

Specular

#4 Post by Specular »

Rudy5 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:41 amCan you tell me where is this directory on your drive?

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<username>\.MakeMKV
While the one I have in the settings is completely different (on a different drive, even).

Specular

#5 Post by Specular »

Rudy5 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:59 amThat's the one you can change through the program's preferences in the general tab. Probably the other one is C:\Videos or something which is the output directory?
It's definitely that same setting but for me it doesn't store that data there (also my video output directory is an entirely different path). It sounds like in your experience changing that setting path does affect the program data location though so unsure what is affecting our installs differently. Either way, I've probably filled this topic up enough with this :P

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

Topic update: MakeMKV v1.16.0 (Beta; changelog and downloads at https://www.makemkv.com/download/).

Olimpiakos

Re: 9 [MakeMKV]

#7 Post by Olimpiakos »

Guys, I understand that I'm asking about not the topic, which video converter can convert MOV to MP4. I just found free video converters, I converted a 20-minute video for more than 30 minutes, it's not worth waiting so long.

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

You could try with FFmpeg at the CLI:

> ffmpeg -i my_file.mov -c copy output.mp4

Olimpiakos

#9 Post by Olimpiakos »

Thanks a lot, it worked. I didn't know that in ffmpeg I can even change the video resolution. I read a little documentation on the library. A very cool feature.

ffmpeg-i source video.mp4-scale vf=640:480 source video.mp4
[Moderator note: possible advertising and link to payware has been detected and removed]

But, as for me, ffmpeg is more convenient, but inferior in the speed of video conversion. But ffmpeg library is built into windows.

SYSTEM

#10 Post by SYSTEM »

Olimpiakos wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:58 pm Thanks a lot, it worked. I didn't know that in ffmpeg I can even change the video resolution. I read a little documentation on the library. A very cool feature.

ffmpeg-i source video.mp4-scale vf=640:480 source video.mp4
I also googled a bit, and there is an option to convert via third-party software, as in the movavi video converter type click. The free version is enough for the average user, 24 formats are available for conversion. If more formats are required, then the paid version is already needed.
But, as for me, ffmpeg is more convenient, but inferior in the speed of video conversion. But ffmpeg library is built into windows.
If speed is an issue, add -vcodec copy -acodec copy. It causes FFmpeg to copy audio and video streams as is instead of transcoding them, making video conversion nearly instant.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

SYSTEM wrote:If speed is an issue, add -vcodec copy -acodec copy...

FYI, the "-c copy" parameter I included is a shorter equivalent...