Pointofix - [Screen Capture Annotator]

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
freakazoid

Pointofix - [Screen Capture Annotator]

#1 Post by freakazoid »

[Mod note: this topic was split from the ScreenMarker topic, at viewtopic.php?t=3774]

here's another one... tested with ThinLoader.

Pointofix (746kb uncompressed):
http://www.pointofix.de/download.php

Download the ZIP and the translation pack for english.

Unzip "Pointofix.exe" from the main ZIP and "pointofix_tranlation_en.ini" from the language pack.

Rename "pointofix_translation_en.ini" to "pointofix_translation.ini".
Double-click "pointofix.exe".

Can somebody confirm portability?

I think this app is better than ScreenMarker.

I am Baas

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Nice find.

Writes to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Amerigomedia\Pointofix

I am Baas

Re: ScreenMarker

#3 Post by I am Baas »

Pointofix is at version 1.7 (2012.06.28). Was it ever jauntized?

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Here's my old JPE launcher: http://www.mediafire.com/?5v4dgc6o42da73e

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

>pointofix

FWG covered this and mentioned it was portable so I was pleased to see someone had already looked into it. Thanks Baas for testing. I really have a need for a program like this and would of course prefer a portable version. I posted a link to this thread and mentioned Baas' finding about the registry key.

http://www.freewaregenius.com/pointofix ... entations/

guindos98

Pointofix - [Screen Capture] Annotator

#6 Post by guindos98 »

Hello to everyone!

This is my first post, sorry if I miss anything!

http://www.pointofix.de/

This program, Pointofix, is a very useful tool for annotate all kind of documents, via circles, transparent highlights and things like that.
I works by taking a screenshot of the whole desktop and opening its own image editor (and later saving the changes to PNG).

Don't worry for the former language of the program and the website: it has several translation packs.

Give it a try! I don't know if it writes on the registry, but it seems 100% portable.

Midas

Re: Pointofix - [Screen Capture] Annotator

#7 Post by Midas »

Hi and welcome to the TPFC forums. :)

Unfortunately Pointofix doesn't fit our definition of portable software, mainly because it saves its settings to the system registry -- have a look at 'HKCU\Software\Amerigomedia\Pointofix'.

Although the author supplies a ZIP package for download (currently 'pointofix180de-20180511-direkt.zip') that doesn't require installation and can be run immediately after extraction, settings are left behind if you move to a different system.

Moreover, if you want to have Pointofix UI in a different language, you must also download the translations package (currently 'pointofix-translation-20181203.zip'), extract the one INI file corresponding to the language you want to use -- say 'pointofix_translation_en.ini' -- rename it to 'pointofix_translation.ini' and place it alongside the program executable.

Image Image

Pointofix latest version is v1.8.0, released 2017-03-01 (Google translated changelog is at translate.google.com /translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.pointofix.de/neu.php).

guindos98

#8 Post by guindos98 »

Midas wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:26 am Hi and welcome to the TPFC forums. :)

Unfortunately Pointofix doesn't fit our definition of portable software, mainly because it saves its settings to the system registry -- have a look at 'HKCU\Software\Amerigomedia\Pointofix'.
Thank you for your response. I didn't know the program writes to the Registry. Is there any program which I can use to notice wether a program writes to the Registry or not when used?

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

guindos98 wrote: Is there any program which I can use to notice wether a program writes to the Registry or not when used?
Myself, I use Primo (viewtopic.php?t=8164), which is a fork of Regshot.

But, as systems and OSes can vary a great deal, I advise you to have a look at viewtopic.php?t=21885 for tips and pointers regarding portability testing... 8)

webfork

Re: Pointofix - [Screen Capture Annotator]

#10 Post by webfork »

With the caveat that there haven't been updates to this program since 2018, I came back to it because a live screen annotator is still an appealing prospect.

Steps

1. Download and extract the "one without setup" version: "pointofix180de-20180511-direkt.zip"
2. Download the language pack and extract the contents to the same location as above
3. Rename pointofix_translation_el.ini to pointofix_translation.ini
4. Launch: Pointofix.exe

Usage notes

Note that my brain was completely unable to accept that CTRL+Z was zoom in rather than Undo.

Screenshot