ghostwriter

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

Re: ghostwriter

#31 Post by Midas »

Great, you did it! 8)

As I told you, a batch file or yaP launcher are ways to solve many portability issues -- I'll introduce one way to solve that last hurdle bellow. But first, let me sum up your findings so we are on the same page here.

If I understand it correctly, creating a 'data' sub-folder in the program folder and moving 'ghostwriter.ini' there (BTW, you didn't try creating an empty one there, did you?) keeps vs-ghostwriter from writing settings to 'appData/roaming' but not from leaving some traces in 'appData/local', right?

If you use the following code as a yaP launcher configuration, those traces will expectably be moved back and forth upon program execution.

Code: Select all

; configuration file for yaP v0.7.1.5 (http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/)
; application name: vs-ghostwriter
; version: v1.8.0
; website: https://github.com/michelolvera/vs-ghostwriter

[GENERAL]
application = App\ghostwriter.exe

; commandline =
; workdir =

[BEFORE]
dir = %APPDATA%\ghostwriter

Please note this assumes everything in vs-ghostwriter program folder -- including your newly created 'data' folder -- is placed in an 'App' sub-folder of where the yaP executable resides and the configuration is present in an INI file with the same name as that executable, placed alongside it.

I might be able to test this later, but I'll just leave it here for the time being.

hamasaki

#32 Post by hamasaki »

Midas wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:43 am As I told you, a batch file or yaP launcher are ways to solve many portability issues -- I'll introduce one way to solve that last hurdle bellow. But first, let me sum up your findings so we are on the same page here.
Thanks. Yes, yaP is pretty cool. I do use it for some apps that leave empty directories behind and I use yaP to delete them after closing.
Midas wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:43 amIf I understand it correctly, creating a 'data' sub-folder in the program folder and moving 'ghostwriter.ini' there (BTW, you didn't try creating an empty one there, did you?) keeps vs-ghostwriter from writing settings to 'appData/roaming' but not from leaving some traces in 'appData/local', right?
Yes, correct. No, I didn`t create the empty 'data' directory. I couldn`t see any mention of it in the docs. I would assume therefore, running the 'portable' version would create it automatically? I found reference for the folder in the previous version of 'ghostwriter'.
Midas wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:43 amPlease note this assumes everything in vs-ghostwriter program folder -- including your newly created 'data' folder -- is placed in an 'App' sub-folder of where the yaP executable resides and the configuration is present in an INI file with the same name as that executable, placed alongside it.

I might be able to test this later, but I'll just leave it here for the time being.
Great, thanks. I suppose I could do:

Code: Select all

[AFTER]
-dir = %LOCALAPPDATA%\ghostwriter
To clear the local directory afterwards. I did try it and it works. So, maybe I`ll just leave it like that for now. It doesn`t seem to be causing any issues and there are no traces left behind. Sorry, should have thought about yaP myself. :(

hamasaki

#33 Post by hamasaki »

Also, I figured out my portable drive issue. For some reason, when I change laptops and open a program, then change back to the other laptop and open it again, it has reverted to a readonly state. I just need to figure out why that is happening. lol. :)

billon

#34 Post by billon »

hamasaki wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:20 pm it has reverted to a readonly state.
So your comments about various programs being not stealh was disinformation? wtf

Midas

#35 Post by Midas »

hamasaki wrote: Also, I figured out my portable drive issue.
Is that by any instance a flash card? What OS do you use? You can set a USB drive read-only, but that usually requires some Windows setting in the system registry.

hamasaki

#36 Post by hamasaki »

billon wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:04 pm
hamasaki wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:20 pm it has reverted to a readonly state.
So your comments about various programs being not stealh was disinformation? wtf
er, no. You might want to read the rest of this thread. The ghostwriter issue had nothing to do with it.

hamasaki

#37 Post by hamasaki »

Midas wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:22 am
hamasaki wrote: Also, I figured out my portable drive issue.
Is that by any instance a flash card? What OS do you use? You can set a USB drive read-only, but that usually requires some Windows setting in the system registry.
Western Digital 1TB external drive. The drive isn`t readonly.

webfork

#38 Post by webfork »

GhostWriter is still coming along nicely ... v1.8.1 is out
https://github.com/michelolvera/vs-ghostwriter/releases (64-bit only, 7zip file)

Steps:

1. Download, decompress with 7zip, launch ghostwriter.exe
2. Move the ini file from AppData to local directory and a few other tricks

Status: Not Portable (still). Despite the portability note, it's more of a no-install, writing settings to AppData.

Resources (megs): 66 RAM (per instance), 288 disk space

Changelog:
Issue #443: MathJax 3.0 is now built into the HTML preview. Note that this feature works best with Pandoc and requires an Internet connection. Other Markdown processors are not currently supported.
Issue #447: Cursor is no longer shown when editor is not in focus.
Issue #461: Fixed Cheat Sheet to have correct image example.
Issue #471: HUD window styling is fixed for Qt 5.13.
Issue #472: Fixed typing paused timers for session statistics and for hiding HUD windows.
Discount is not listed as an available Markdown processor if MultiMarkdown is installed.
New application translations are available for the following languages:
Arabic
Dutch
[screenshot]

EDIT: Issue post requesting settings change: https://github.com/michelolvera/vs-ghos ... /issues/29

Midas

#39 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:EDIT: Issue post requesting settings change: github.com/michelolvera/vs-ghostwriter/issues/29
Remark posted on the issue countering the argument that it's a new feature not fitting the developer's goals...

EDIT: my remark has been acknowledged and the "issue" was thus kept open. Also:

Important
At the moment it is not possible for me to provide an installer, only the portable version. My old computer suffered an accident with liquid and with it went the script that generated the installer.

So the 64-bit portable is currently the official Windows build for (vs-)ghostwriter.