Power Plan switching using "Battery Mode Portable"

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Wizzer

Power Plan switching using "Battery Mode Portable"

#1 Post by Wizzer »

I searched for an application that would display and allow switching between any of the available power plans (Windows 7 Pro) with a single mouse-click instead of the two options offered when the Win7 battery meter tray icon is clicked. The search results suggest this is a common request from Windows users.

The application "Battery Mode Portable" does this and has other useful facilities packed into its small size. It can be used as a direct replacement for Win7's battery meter tray icon. The two freeware versions available are 32bit and 64bit.

Midas

Re: Battery Mode Portable

#2 Post by Midas »

Nice find, thanks Wizzer. Further info from Battery Mode homepage...
Latest Battery Mode 32 or 64-bit portable releases (currently v3.8.8.102, dated 2016-12-17) are available for download from http://en.bmode.tarcode.ru/download.shtml.
Last edited by Midas on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tproli

Re: Power Plan switching using "Battery Mode Portable"

#3 Post by tproli »

Looks nice but couldn't find a way to set the language. It's starting in non-English and there's no setting to change it. Or perhaps it's untranslated because there are a few empty lines in the right-click menu.

Plus writes settings to registry: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battery Mode".

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Shame... :(

@webfork: a move to "Non Portable", please. Thanks.

Wizzer

#5 Post by Wizzer »

tproli wrote:Looks nice but couldn't find a way to set the language. It's starting in non-English and there's no setting to change it. Or perhaps it's untranslated because there are a few empty lines in the right-click menu.

Plus writes settings to registry: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battery Mode".
I tried the 32bit version which runs without fault on my 64bit Windows7 system. Menu lists are in English without gaps, which implies there are not any missing options in this version. Faultless performance so far after 3 weeks on two Win7 64bit systems.

I will check the "writes settings to registry" problem.

tproli

#6 Post by tproli »

I contacted the developer and he fixed the language issue about a day later.

After that I requested a "more" portable version, hopefully he will consider that too.

Wizzer

#7 Post by Wizzer »

tproli wrote:I contacted the developer and he fixed the language issue about a day later.

After that I requested a "more" portable version, hopefully he will consider that too.
My attempt at a more portable version has been tested and runs OK on Win7 64bit.
As the "Battery Mode" application only uses the registry entry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battery Mode" to store the program's user settings, I have made it "more" portable by using the launcher PAL.exe. This launcher exchanges any existing regentry with the portable entry on run-start. On run-exit the two entries are swapped back over.
A "more" portable version from the author would be preferred, but this work around seems to work well enough.

If you want to try it this out then the simple PAL launcher is available from:
https://bittit.info/publicDro/PAL.zip
I have used the following text in PAL.ini, you need to point to your own program path in the "Executable=" line.
[PALOptions]
Executable=".\App\BatteryMode32.exe"
RegistryPath="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battery Mode"

tproli

#8 Post by tproli »

Thanks, though I have my own tool for such things :)
(check my signature)

Midas

Re: Portable Application Launcher (AutoIt source)

#9 Post by Midas »

Wizzer wrote:If you want to try it this out then the simple PAL launcher is available from:

I have used the following text in PAL.ini, you need to point to your own program path in the "Executable=" line.

[PALOptions]

Executable=".\App\BatteryMode32.exe"

RegistryPath="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battery Mode"
  • Very interesting. One can never have too many portabilizing alternatives, so (given that it is FOSS) I took the liberty of mirroring the AutoIt source code for this previously unbeknownst (to me) Portable Application Launcher made by Konstantinos Asimakis to Pastebin for future reference:
    FYI, PAL last release announcement is at http://www.inshame.com/2012/08/pal-v2.html.

Wizzer

#10 Post by Wizzer »

tproli wrote:Thanks, though I have my own tool for such things :)
(check my signature)
Many thanks for directing my attention to yaP and its web URL. I am duly impressed and feel that I am in the presence of the Kings and the Princes of freeware portablization.