TreeProjects is now freeware

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Ennovy

TreeProjects is now freeware

#1 Post by Ennovy »

TreeProjects recently became freeware: http://personaldatabase.org/treeprojects-is-now-free

Nice notetaking application that can be made "portable".
After installation use the menu to create it: “Tools – Make portable copy”.
However it still makes registry entries and log files on the computer it is executed on.

Latest version is 2.9.4 and is released 2 years ago.
Now that it's freeware I wonder if there will be new updates released.
Tested it shortly on my Windows 10 64bit computer and it works fine.

Features: http://personaldatabase.org/features

Download and license code: http://personaldatabase.org/try

smaragdus

Re: TreeProjects is now freeware

#2 Post by smaragdus »

@Ennovy
Thank you for informing us about TreeProjects. I did a brief testing and overall I liked it- it has a clean and neat interface, it has recycle bin and customizable tool-bar but the program is somewhat unfinished- for example it cannot be minimized/closed to tray, it does not remember its window state (size and position on desktop- it always starts maximized), it doesn't offer rich export options. It writes logs to "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\TreeProjects XL" but logging can be turned off (Settings-Logs-Turn logging off).
Now that it's freeware I wonder if there will be new updates released.
I suppose this is the end of TreeProjects but I appreciate developer's decision to make it freeware. Windows is a dying platform and one by one such programs become abandoned. I gave up hope that I would ever find an outliner to my liking- it seems that such a thing has never existed and will never be created.

Ennovy

#3 Post by Ennovy »

smaragdus wrote:it does not remember its window state (size and position on desktop- it always starts maximized)
It doesn't remember the position on the desktop but there is a setting to prevent starting maximized.
Goto Tools/settings/General and uncheck: Start maximized.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Portable TreeProjects is not only not stealth, but not really portable as well, as is readily acknowledged by the help file included with the downloadable installer...
  • [i]'help.sme[/i]' author wrote:Portable TreeProjects will still make registry entries and write log files in the computer it is executed on.
In my testing, besides creating the logs folder in '%TEMP%' noted above by smaragdus, it saves its settings to 'HCKU\Software\SmerekaTreeProjects\' -- reverting to defaults if it fails to find them...

So here's the necessary yaP launcher configuration for making TreeProjects fully portable:

• Code: Select all

; configuration file for yaP v0.7.1 (http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/)
    ; application name: TreeProjects
    ; version: v2.9.4
    ; website: http://personaldatabase.org/

[GENERAL]
    application = App\smereka.exe

; commandline = 
    ; workdir = 

[BEFORE]
    regkey = HKCU\Software\SmerekaTreeProjects\

; dir = %Appdata%\Dir
    ; file = %Appdata%\Dir\File.ini
    ; regkey = HKCU\Software\RegKey

[AFTER]
    -dir = %TEMP%\TreeProjects XL

[/size]

BTW, the (freeware) license info is kept in a plain text file named 'l' (lower case L) in the program folder.

@webfork: lacking any further portability findings, this topic should be moved to "Non Portable" forum. Thanks. :)

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

@Mod

I believe this should have been move to "Freeware That Are Not Portable" sub-forum.

tproli

#6 Post by tproli »

Thanks Ennovy & Midas! I've tried it at the morning and I also saw something's not right with its portability. Here's the yaP ini using Midas' config.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

This seems like a really well done program but it's missing two (for me) crucial features:

* You can't drag and drop images into RTF files
* Doesn't really do nested bullets, which are sort of a big deal for me as I do a lot of complex lists

The program does have great file embedding and very good included help.
I am Baas wrote:move to "Freeware That Are Not Portable" sub-forum
All set.