Leapic Gif Optimizer

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
TP109

Leapic Gif Optimizer

#1 Post by TP109 »

[Moderator note: this thread was split from the Gif Optimizer thread.]

---

Now at v2.0

http://www.leapic.com/free-gif-optimizer.htm

webfork

Re: Gif Optimizer v1.0

#2 Post by webfork »

I'm not sure that's the same program. It does look good, though.

Edit:

The extract process is definitely different. The setup file opens fine with UniExtract but the resulting program won't launch.

VT analysis:
https://www.virustotal.com/file/1320b74 ... /analysis/ (0/55)

TP109

#3 Post by TP109 »

Ran into that too. Move the files in the {sys} directory into the application directory. Not sure it's portable, but I didn't check.

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

TP109 wrote:Ran into that too. Move the files in the {sys} directory into the application directory. Not sure it's portable, but I didn't check.
I was wrong, it writes to the registry... see viewtopic.php?p=81572#p81572
Last edited by I am Baas on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TP109

#5 Post by TP109 »

I am Baas wrote:Portable

Does not seem to save any settings
Nice. Thanks for testing. So since Gif Optimizer Free v2.0 is a different program from Gif Optimizer v1.0, should it require a separate thread?

Tested this program and it saved about 20% on average using the default autoreduce setting for animated GIFs and 15% for regular GIFs, which is about equal with RIOT. Of course, RIOT doesn't work on animated GIFs.

I couldn't get Gif Optimizer v1.0 to work at all with GIFs or animated GIFs.

I am Baas

#6 Post by I am Baas »

TP109 wrote:since Gif Optimizer Free v2.0 is a different program from Gif Optimizer v1.0, should it require a separate thread?
Not my call, but I think that removing the version number from the OP's subject should be enough.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

I am Baas wrote:I think that removing the version number from the OP's subject should be enough.
And I second that as noise reducing measure... :mrgreen:

billon

#8 Post by billon »

I am Baas wrote:Portable
:?:
shit.png
Also:
crap.png
:lol:

Just use Gifsicle, (inside RIOT or FileOptimizer if you want)

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

@billon

You are absolutely correct, Gif Optimizer 2 writes to the registry... very sloppy work from me. Not sure how I missed that, will edit my previous post. Thanks.

webfork

Re: Leapic Gif Optimizer

#10 Post by webfork »

I went ahead and tested this despite it's portability status as I've been using a lot of GIFs lately here on the site. Of course they're inferior to many other formats but - right or wrong - they aren't going anywhere and this could save a lot of bandwidth.

Usage notes

This really should be called the "animated gif optimizer" since for still images, I strongly recommend RIOT. I tested this on a number of GIF images on the default mode and they all saw some improvement, with black and white GIFs falling dramatically in size. I recommend manually modifying the color settings (not just using "auto") until you find a setting that works.

Wishlist

* Drag-and-drop capability
* Settings view should show up below the current "open-save-optimize" menu rather than a separate view
* Some kind of batch mode
* In addition to a "save as" button there should be a "save to new.gif" or similar button that saves to the same directory with an addendum to the original file(anim.gif becomes anim-new.gif).
* Black-and-white conversion