Igowin - game of "go"

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
1002Richards

Igowin - game of "go"

#1 Post by 1002Richards »

Hi,
My son enjoys 'Go' The following history from one of the supporter websites:
"The origins of Go are shrouded in the mists of ancient Asian history, but the game is thought to have originated, at least 4,000 - 5,000 years ago.

Some say that the board, with ten points out from the center in all directions, may have originally served as a forerunner to the abacus. Others think it may have been a fortune-telling device, with black and white stones representing yin and yang. A famous legend holds that an emperor created the game to improve the intelligence of his dull-witted son.

By the time of Confucius (around 600 B.C.), wei-chi (a Chinese name for the game)) had already become one of the "Four Accomplishments" (along with brush painting, poetry and music) that must be mastered by the Chinese gentleman.

Wei-chi entered Korean and Japanese culture through trade and other contact between countries in the first millennium A.D. In ancient Chinese art, noblemen (and noblewomen!) can occasionally be found playing Go (wei-ch'i or weiqi in Chinese)."

My son has just downloaded & installed "igowin", having used it on a school PC. I was wondering how to tell if it is portable:

http://www.smart-games.com/igowin.html
Quote from website;"Igowin is a 9x9 free version of Many Faces of Go. Play go against the computer with great graphics. It keeps track of your record and playing strength and has an on-line manual with history of go, where to buy books and equipment, etc. It includes the Go Tutorial from The Many Faces of Go, so it is a good program to give a beginning go player. It plays competitively from 25 Kyu through 6 Dan, so stronger players will enjoy it as well. It learns from its mistakes, so every game is different.

This is free copyrighted software. You may give it away or sell it. I encourage others to put it on their web page for download. You are not allowed to modify it, and if you make copies, you must include all of the component files.

Click here to download igowin.exe . This is a self-extracting archive and includes the igowin.exe executable, the grain.bmp wood grain bitmap, readme.txt, and two windows help files. It's about 800KB. After download, run it, and it will install the files in C:\Program Files\igowin. It does not automatically add itself to your start menu or make a shortcut on the desktop."

No claims of portability are made, I'm just wondering ... thanks if you have the time, but enjoy the game otherwise!

Richard.

Local

#2 Post by Local »

Very interesting game but unfortunately not portable.
It leaves a HKCU software\SmartGames in the registry.

For some reason the help file tries to leave something in the app folder too.
I'm not too sure why or if it is normal behaviour though because I ran it through sandboxie

1002Richards

#3 Post by 1002Richards »

Local,
Many thanks for your help. I'll leave it where it is in C/

Richard.

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

Windows HLP files typically create index and contents files in the location from which they are first opened. I don't know if this is the file/files that you are referring to. Typically though, these can be deleted without any detriment to the help file and then next time the help file is run, they will be recreated. However, I wouldn't say that this affects portability.

The registry entries on the other hand could pose a problem! :)