Resilio Sync (P2P Device Sync; formerly BitTorrent Sync)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
SYSTEM

Re: Resilio Sync (P2P Device Sync; formerly BitTorrent Sync)

#31 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:08 am For lack of a better option (that I was able to find), I'm posting here a piece of news I came across regarding the official BitTorrent current owner as a sort of "users beware" warning...
Employees had mixed opinions when BitTorrent was acquired. None of them realized how much their steady, quiet work environment would be upended as [Justin] Sun's bravado and self-promotion steered the company into the center of the US and China's dangerous geopolitical conflict -- the trade war -- all in an effort to, as Sun might say, get the pump on the coin.
Thanks, it's a great read.

I'm in an anti-cryptocurrency group in Reddit. As a result I'm more familiar with Justin Sun's activity from his position as Tron's CEO rather than the current owner of BitTorrent. (Well, who owns BitTorrent Inc doesn't really mean much anyway, since the BitTorrent protocol is open.)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#32 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:08 am ... the official BitTorrent current owner as a sort of "users beware" warning...
Good to know. I haven't done anything with BitTorrent in years but if that article is even 10% true, it's a very ugly situation. I remember the early push to make BitTorrent (and thereby filesharing technology) legitimate. Sad to see that clearly went awry.

Lucky for us there are many free and open unofficial alternatives.

Also, it's not explicitly stated in the article, but the inventor of BitTorrent Bram Cohen is not involved at all.

Andrew Lee

#33 Post by Andrew Lee »

Great read, thanks for the link!

Kudos to open protocol and open source, otherwise it's too easy for a single company to screw up and take everything down with them.

Midas

#34 Post by Midas »

SYSTEM wrote: Thanks, it's a great read.
Besides the warning value, I also thought so.
SYSTEM wrote: I'm in an anti-cryptocurrency group in Reddit. As a result I'm more familiar with Justin Sun's activity from his position as Tron's CEO rather than the current owner of BitTorrent
When I first heard of the idea, I was drawn to it considering potential benefits, so I gradually became supportive. But when Bitcoin value skyrocketed prior to the pandemic, the associated evils were already piling up and, having never owned any, it made me change my mind.

Just didn't see the need for yet another techie story of an initial good concept getting turned into something completely vile.
webfork wrote: Good to know. I haven't done anything with BitTorrent in years but if that article is even 10% true, it's a very ugly situation. I remember the early push to make BitTorrent (and thereby filesharing technology) legitimate. Sad to see that clearly went awry.
There are too many stories around the net of once thriving ideas being depleted by themselves. There are also many other examples of people trying to turn their shells into snares for unwary users.
SYSTEM wrote: Well, who owns BitTorrent Inc doesn't really mean much anyway, since the BitTorrent protocol is open.
webfork wrote: Lucky for us there are many free and open unofficial alternatives.
Andrew Lee wrote: Kudos to open protocol and open source, otherwise it's too easy for a single company to screw up and take everything down with them.
Strike another hit for open source and open systems. On a marginal and perhaps unpopular note, one shouldn't have to trust a developer to be able to use his software.
webfork wrote: Also, it's not explicitly stated in the article, but the inventor of BitTorrent Bram Cohen is not involved at all.
There's a mention of him in the article as the first coder of BT Live -- but nothing more; apparently, he sold BitTorrent and never looked back.

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:03 pm When I first heard of the idea, I was drawn to it considering potential benefits, so I gradually became supportive. But when Bitcoin value skyrocketed prior to the pandemic, the associated evils were already piling up and, having never owned any, it made me change my mind.

Just didn't see the need for yet another techie story of an initial good concept getting turned into something completely vile.
I'll let SYSTEM's comments on Brave cover some of my own feelings on the topic. Few groups/companies involved (including BitTorrent creator Cohen's new company) have inspired any confidence in anything but slight improvements. A few immediate reasons not to get involved in proof-of-work currencies are detailed in the cryptoware thread.