Media Preview (video thumbnails)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Magibon

Media Preview (video thumbnails)

#1 Post by Magibon »

Ever since being involved with this website, and jumping on the "is it stealth" bandwagon..
I have held out on codec packs...
(codec packs cause slow startup, conflicts, bloat, and hinder PC performance, etc.)

Although i do miss the convenient thumbnails for unsupported video types which i use MPC-HCPortable or MPlayerWWPortable for viewing.

Now.. the perfect "is it stealth" setup can have thumbnails!
- thanks to Media Preview.

I tested on Windows 7 x32 and x64.
- works flawlessly
- fast
- free
- customizable
- and no bloat :)
* (i scanned and verified only the mandatory shell extension keys were installed)

Media Preview does NOT install codecs..
- it only generates thumbnails for the majority of video types..

Last edited by Magibon on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

billon

Re: Media Preview (Generate thumbnails for videos w/out code

#2 Post by billon »

Did you tried Icaros - http://shark007.net/tools.html ? How it works for you? Because i tried it some time ago, it crashes Explorer every time.

Magibon

Re: Media Preview (Generate thumbnails for videos w/out code

#3 Post by Magibon »

billon wrote:Did you tried Icaros - http://shark007.net/tools.html ? How it works for you? Because i tried it some time ago, it crashes Explorer every time.
i did see others were mentioning it in my research.
i personally do not have any experience with it..
But i do have experience with Shark007's Codecs.. both x32/x64..
it worked well but i hate the hidden adware he started employing for revenue..
even after selecting "NO" for toolbars, adware, etc.. it was still installed w/out consent.

i dropped Shark007's products a while ago..
not sure how his products are these days..
that's why i steered clear of lcaros... it might even be a completely different company..
but Shark007 tainted it..

Userfriendly

Re: Media Preview (video thumbnails)

#4 Post by Userfriendly »

I've used Icaros for a while now and it works faster than Media Preview at generating thumbnails. Don't have any problems with it. It's much more actively developed so far and you can download it in a standalone sorta portable zip package. Requires NET 4.0 though. It's completely separate from the shark007 codec pack and has no ads.

http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-About-Icaros
Main discussion/Bug Report thread is here including beta downloads if you wanna try those out.

I don't use codec packs since i just download codec related stuff individually but I do know that Klite and CCCP are pretty safe and reliable these days since they use LAVFilters to decode most things now. If you know what each codec and other related tools do then it's a convenient way to get them all in one place.

Magibon

#5 Post by Magibon »

Userfriendly wrote:I've used Icaros for a while now and it works faster than Media Preview at generating thumbnails. Don't have any problems with it. It's much more actively developed so far and you can download it in a standalone sorta portable zip package. Requires NET 4.0 though. It's completely separate from the shark007 codec pack and has no ads.

http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-About-Icaros
Main discussion/Bug Report thread is here including beta downloads if you wanna try those out.

I don't use codec packs since i just download codec related stuff individually but I do know that Klite and CCCP are pretty safe and reliable these days since they use LAVFilters to decode most things now. If you know what each codec and other related tools do then it's a convenient way to get them all in one place.
thanks for your input..
how do you know lcaros is faster?
did you do a scientific test or just on feel?
also.. can you share the install log?

Userfriendly

#6 Post by Userfriendly »

Well I cleared my thumbnail cache and opened a folder with about over a hundred videos and icaros displayed thumbnail previews almost instantly. Tried the same with Media Preview and it took a couple seconds. Not very scientific but icaros definitely feels faster to me. But that could depend on you OS or PC hardware speed and stuff.

Don't know what you mean by install log but it does create reg keys. There are a few other keys but I guess those stuff gets cleaned up if you use the installer. The few main ones are located here.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Icaros]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\software\classes]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\SystemFileAssociations]

Magibon

#7 Post by Magibon »

Userfriendly wrote:Well I cleared my thumbnail cache and opened a folder with about over a hundred videos and icaros displayed thumbnail previews almost instantly. Tried the same with Media Preview and it took a couple seconds. Not very scientific but icaros definitely feels faster to me. But that could depend on you OS or PC hardware speed and stuff.

Don't know what you mean by install log but it does create reg keys. There are a few other keys but I guess those stuff gets cleaned up if you use the installer. The few main ones are located here.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Icaros]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\software\classes]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\SystemFileAssociations]
- as mentioned earlier concerning unwanted adware from Shark007, would be nice to see the install log so others are assured nothing unwanted is installed.
if you don't have it.. it's cool..

- per speed.. i wasn't sure if you did a benchmark .. as we know.. reviews concerning speed comparison is arbitrary..
Media Preview does take a few seconds to generate previews.. but wasn't sure if it's due to my PC Specs.
It's worth to mention: it takes about the same amount of time as when i had Shark007, and K-lite codec packs installed.

then again.. im running on an old laptop.
- Pentium Dual Core @ 2Gz
- HP Pavilion DV4

Userfriendly

#8 Post by Userfriendly »

Well here's the install log... Icaros is developed by a different dude thats not that Shark007 guy but he moderates the shark forums so I guess guilty by association?
http://pastebin.com/fUF1Ydvp

Media Preview and Icaros use their own codecs so whatever other codecs you have installed on your system has no effect on their performance. Last time I tried both was when i had a slow core2duo and icaros definitely was speedier. However now that i have a Core i5 3570k system with SSD's and everything it probably won't have a noticeable difference.

I can say that I prefer Icaros because its more actively developed and has support for newer codecs like HEVC which is set to replace H264/mpeg5 AVC. I do like Media Previews Configuration interface better though. Ahem... it's more user friendly i think...

Magibon

#9 Post by Magibon »

Userfriendly wrote:Well here's the install log... Icaros is developed by a different dude thats not that Shark007 guy but he moderates the shark forums so I guess guilty by association?
http://pastebin.com/fUF1Ydvp

Media Preview and Icaros use their own codecs so whatever other codecs you have installed on your system has no effect on their performance. Last time I tried both was when i had a slow core2duo and icaros definitely was speedier. However now that i have a Core i5 3570k system with SSD's and everything it probably won't have a noticeable difference.

I can say that I prefer Icaros because its more actively developed and has support for newer codecs like HEVC which is set to replace H264/mpeg5 AVC. I do like Media Previews Configuration interface better though. Ahem... it's more user friendly i think...
that's excellent.. thanks for providing the install log..