TextOps Notepad [DotNET text editor]

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
lautrepay

TextOps Notepad [DotNET text editor]

#1 Post by lautrepay »

Since I've found it very useful, I'm making an exception and submitting this .NET dependant app.
I cannot be precise about which version of .NET it requires, but I suspect it needs 3.5 or 4 (this offical virus called DEP is blocking my PeStudio and a lot of other progrmas).

From the Wiki:
This application is product of repetitive work I had to do. It consisted of different types of simple text transformations and operations that are quite simply done while programming, however, hardly performed as their are often not provided by various text editors.

Therefore I decided to write this simple application that does exactly these operations and nothing more (so it remains small and simple and portable - note that currently it does not store any data about itself so every run of the application provides same environment, despite Your previous settings).

Currently supported functions are:

Sort lines
Sorts all lines in the document in alphabetical order.

Revert lines
Changes the order of lines (first is last, last first and so fore).

Sort groups
Splits text into groups divided by given string and sorts these groups and puts text together again.

Revert groups
Splits text into groups just as in Sort groups function, then reverts their order and puts text back together. This feature can be used to revert order of conversation or so

Collapse lines
All lines are collapsed into one line. In between 2 lines there is a separator (string/text of user's choice) inserted.

Split to lines
Notepad content is taken as one continual text. The text is searched for a separator given by user and each occurrence of the separator is replaced by a new line. If there were some new lines before the operation, they will remain unchanged (unless the new line symbol is taken as separator).

Split by maximal length
Notepad content is taken as one continual text. The most distant white-char from the beginning whom distance is lower than user-given length is marked as separator, text is split into new line (before separator) and the rest remaining to be searched in same manner.

Invert case
Upper char becomes lower chars and vice verse.

Convert to upper
The case of all characters is set to the upper one.

Convert to lower
The case of all characters is set to the lower one.

First letter in word capital
The word is defined as anything containing at least one (first) letter character that is preceded by a non-letter character. The first letter of such word is then made upper cased.

First letter on line capital
For each line in the notepad, the first letter character is found and converted into upper case.

Create camel case
Same as in "First letter in word capital" operation, the first
letter of every word is upper cased, then every white-space is removed (WhichResultsInCamelCase)

Decode camel case
As the camel case is lose conversion, the original text cannot be restored, however, the case of words can be lowered and in between them the space can be inserted so the text is a bit more readable - though more space is needed to store it.

Remove empty lines
Remove lines that contains no character at all.

Remove white-spaced lines
Removes lines that contains some character (~ white-spaces), though appear to be empty. Basically the lines containing spaces but nothing else will be removed.

Remove lines without letter/numerics
Remove lines that contains no letter or numeric characters.

Remove lines with special symbols
The set of "special symbols" is contradictory defined as every character that is not being digit, white-space, separator, punctuation or letter. If any such special symbol appears in a line, the line is removed.

Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/textops ... e/download
License: Public Domain

Midas

Re: TextOps Notepad 1.0.0.2

#2 Post by Midas »

Browsing its sources, I found this string ".NET Framework, Version=v4.0, Profile=Client"... :mrgreen:

I am Baas

Re: TextOps Notepad 1.0.0.2

#3 Post by I am Baas »

@lautrepay

Check out Text Converter @ http://www.sttmedia.com/textconverter

lautrepay

Re: [Dolphin Text Editor] TextOps Notepad 1.0.0.2

#4 Post by lautrepay »

Midas wrote:Browsing its sources, I found this string ".NET Framework, Version=v4.0, Profile=Client"... :mrgreen:
Thanks for the trick, Midas! It will likely be useful for me in the future.
I am Baas wrote:@lautrepay

Check out Text Converter @ http://www.sttmedia.com/textconverter
Thanks, Baas! Really powerful, even in the Basic freeware version.
So, the dilemma: TextOps Notepad is easy to use and open source, but needs .NET 4 Client Profile (which I don't like for more than one reason). OTOH, TextConverter is very powerful but not so easy to use and closed source...
I'll stay with both of them.

By the way, there's another interesting option: Dolphin Text Editor (www.animal-software.com/dolphin-text-editor-menu.php). Requires .NET 3.5 and "works with any software where you can type sentences or paragraphs. This includes: Visual Studio; OpenOffice Writer; MS Word; GMail, Firefox; online forums; Notepad; Wordpad; HTML / PHP editors; etc.".

The installed version worked ok for me, but the portable one just couldn't start. I'm starting to think that this DEP doesn't like portable software...

Animal Software

#5 Post by Animal Software »

lautrepay wrote:By the way, there's another interesting option: Dolphin Text Editor (http://www.animal-software.com/dolphin- ... r-menu.php). Requires .NET 3.5 and "works with any software where you can type sentences or paragraphs. This includes: Visual Studio; OpenOffice Writer; MS Word; GMail, Firefox; online forums; Notepad; Wordpad; HTML / PHP editors; etc.".

The installed version worked ok for me, but the portable one just couldn't start. I'm starting to think that this DEP doesn't like portable software...
I have fixed the problem with installing Dolphin Text Editor Menu on to a memory stick.

Simply re-download the current version again and install it over your current installation.
(The fix was too small to warrant a 'new' release.)
Then select the "Install to a memory stick..." option.

Regards,
A.S.

lautrepay

#6 Post by lautrepay »

Animal Software wrote:I have fixed the problem with installing Dolphin Text Editor Menu on to a memory stick.

Simply re-download the current version again and install it over your current installation.
(The fix was too small to warrant a 'new' release.)
Then select the "Install to a memory stick..." option.

Regards,
A.S.
Hi! And welcome to TPFC.
The presence of the developers on the forums is always greatly appreciated.
I downloaded the modified version and it works perfectly. Thanks!
Just one question: is it possible to emulate the first run of the program editing the MemoryStick.config file?

Animal Software

#7 Post by Animal Software »

lautrepay wrote:Hi! And welcome to TPFC.
I downloaded the modified version and it works perfectly. Thanks!
Hello, and thanks. :)

It was a stupid bug caused by some anomalous behaviour in Visual Studio.
I had encountered that behaviour before but I had forgotten about it. :(
lautrepay wrote:Just one question: is it possible to emulate the first run of the program editing the MemoryStick.config file?
Are you wanting the "Choose a language" and the "Help" forms to appear everytime you start DTEM from the memory stick?
If so, then all you need to do is change
  • System.Boolean~FirstTime~False
    System.Boolean~FirstTimeLanguage~False
to
  • System.Boolean~FirstTime~True
    System.Boolean~FirstTimeLanguage~True
in the MemoryStick.config file.

If you are simply after a 'blank' config file then it would be like this:

Code: Select all

System.String~Version~Dolphin Text Editor Menu - v2.9
System.Boolean~FirstTime~False
System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection~BlockingPrograms~
System.String~SelectedItemText~-not used-
System.String~HotModifier~Control
System.String~HotKey~NumPad0
System.Boolean~HideToolbar~False
System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection~RecentlyUsed~
System.String~Language~English
System.Boolean~HideSystemTrayIcon~False
System.String~SelectedItemName~
System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection~HiddenMenuItems~CaseKatakana¬CaseHiragana¬CaseHalfwidth¬CaseFullwidth
System.Boolean~ShowMenuIcons~True

lautrepay

#8 Post by lautrepay »

Thanks for your prompt response!
Animal Software wrote:Are you wanting the "Choose a language" and the "Help" forms to appear everytime you start DTEM from the memory stick?
If so, then all you need to do is change
  • System.Boolean~FirstTime~False
to
  • System.Boolean~FirstTime~True
in the MemoryStick.config file.
Not everytime. Just once, the first time that the portable instalation is launched.
I expected that changing

to

System.Boolean~FirstTime~True
would cause the welcome screen to be shown only once, and then the MemoryStick.config file would automatically change that lines to

But it's just a little detail, perhaps useful if someone, instead of the install-run-create the portable package-uninstall process, just prefer to extract the installer and manually create the portable installation. This way the user will still be noticed, at the first run, about the options and the default hotkey, mainly.
Anyway, thank you very much for your kindness and for you work! (And sorry for my poor english)

Animal Software

#9 Post by Animal Software »

lautrepay wrote:Not everytime. Just once, the first time that the portable instalation is launched.
I think what you want would be achieved by running the 'dolphin-text-editor-menu-installer.exe' and installing DTEM directly onto your memory stick.

The downside to doing this is that your settings will not be remembered when you start DTEM on a new PC (but it will remember your settings if you have been on that PC before).

Maybe try that and see if it works for you.

lautrepay wrote:(And sorry for my poor english)
I wish that I had a second language as fluent as your English. :)
If you are feeling generous, you could do a Spanish translation for DTEM...

lautrepay

#10 Post by lautrepay »

Animal Software wrote:I think what you want would be achieved by running the 'dolphin-text-editor-menu-installer.exe' and installing DTEM directly onto your memory stick.

The downside to doing this is that your settings will not be remembered when you start DTEM on a new PC (but it will remember your settings if you have been on that PC before).

Maybe try that and see if it works for you.
Oh, no. I certainly prefer the settings in the application folder. As I've said, it's just a detail, in order to make the things easier for new users.
Animal Software wrote:If you are feeling generous, you could do a Spanish translation for DTEM...
I'm already working on it... Image

Animal Software

#11 Post by Animal Software »

lautrepay wrote:I'm already working on it... Image
I can send you the spreadsheet with the complete list of words if you want.

Send an email to contact@animal-software.com and I will send it to you. :)

bawldiggle

Re: TextOps Notepad

#12 Post by bawldiggle »

Portable "TextOps Notepad 1.0.0.3.zip"
Last update 2-May-2012 ... no longer works, error during extraction

Midas

Re: TextOps Notepad [DotNET text editor]

#13 Post by Midas »

@bawldiggle: you mean the TextOps v1.0.0.3 ZIP file at sourceforge.net/projects/textopsntpd/files/Releases/?

I had no trouble whatsoever extracting and running it...

OTOH, files at sourceforge.net/projects/textopsntpd/files/Source files/ are 7Z archives and require a compatible extractor.

BTW, TextOps changelog is at sourceforge.net/p/textopsntpd/wiki/release_notes/ and it looks like it isn't natively portable...
Settings are stored per user now. Further versions should become portable.
EDIT: settings left at '%LOCALAPPDATA%\Matt_Stuvysant'. Moving topic to "Not Portable".

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

Can't verify -- I'm getting a "headers error" with 7zip on this program.

bawldiggle

#15 Post by bawldiggle »

@ Midas
In reply to your helpful post October 2019 (12 months ago) :oops:
Spoiler!   
My applogies for this very late thank you, serious medical disruption for the past 12 months.
Thank you for your insight.
The lesson for me ... there is always something to learn.

I had used 7-zip to extract. Using the default Win-MS extractor solved the problem.
7-Zip has been (IMO) not ideal, now I am looking for a better archiver.
Zipware? (son of Bitser), Bitser? ... I have 17 archivers on my list to investigate. :?:
My preference is for a shell presence on WinExp "Context" menu
I would appreciate your thoughts ?

"TextOps" is perfect for my needs, inspite of its age. (Like me, except I am not perfect) :roll:
You were right, TextOps does write to C:\Users\~~
I have never attempted portablizing but am willing to give it a try.
Any hints would be appreciated :?: