Sharpkeys (DotNET keyboard utility)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

Sharpkeys (DotNET keyboard utility)

#1 Post by Midas »

In view of recent debate about DotNET apps, I felt unsure about where to post this, so here goes...
http://www.randyrants.com/2011/12/sharpkeys_35.html wrote:SharpKeys is a Registry hack that is used to make certain keys on a keyboard act like other keys. For example, if you accidentally hit Caps Lock often, you could use this utility to map Caps Lock to a Shift key or even turn it off completely. This official release includes support for up to 104 mappings, an extensive list of available keys, and a "Type Key" option to help when managing mappings. As it relies on internal support within Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, you must be running one of these OS's for this Registry hack to work.

Note: Sharpkeys v3.5 requires DotNET v3.5, but Sharpkeys v3.0 runs on DotNET v2.0. Download Sharpkeys at http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/.

__philippe

Re: Sharpkeys keyboard remapping utility

#2 Post by __philippe »

And a mere decade on... :wink:

:idea: Just found a nifty use for Sharpkeys

My backup Win7 laptop keyboard recently developed the bloody annoying habit of spewing long strings of "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" characters at random,
playing hell with running applications at the most ill-timed occasions... :x

Tried every trick to clean the misbehaving "Z" key, to no avail, has to be an intermittent short-circuit on the keyboard printed-circuit,
which I'll try to fix by Laptop Open Heart surgery "aujourd'hui peut être, ou alors demain", honest... :roll:

Meanwhile, Sharpkeys to the rescue: (beats fiddling with Regedit any time...)

"Remap Key Z (00_2C) to Key-off (00_00)"
and presto ! ...we got a suitably silent(dead) "Z" key ! :D

(in case it's needed, ALT 122 on numeric keypad will obligingly produce a nice Z..)

Open Heart Surgery postponed until further notice... 8)

Sharpkeys 3.9.2.0 link date 17-JUL-2020

Midas

Re: Sharpkeys (DotNET keyboard utility)

#3 Post by Midas »

@__philippe: nifty trick, thanks for sharing. 8)

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Very nice hack! 👍

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Sharpkeys v3.9.3 released 2021-10-12 (changes and downloads at https://github.com/randyrants/sharpkeys/releases).

Albert90

#6 Post by Albert90 »

This would've been perfect for me back when multiple keys on my old laptop stopped working, wish I'd found it then. Definitely keeping this safe for the next time my I key dies. Can you imagine having to replace the letter 'I' with an exclamation mark in applications that didn't support the on-screen keyboard (like online games)?