A Must Build SoftDB 2 Make Things More Didatic, Safe N Happy

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
castman

A Must Build SoftDB 2 Make Things More Didatic, Safe N Happy

#1 Post by castman »

The title says it all, so I'm asking to my portabler's friends. BUT keep in mind this is NOT a program storage DB.

The main objective is make thing more didatic, safe and happy even for beginners: to make people aware when people should pay for help or just type in the internet by being aware of what they need. It would save natural resources and human resources, so it is a must have.

The database would be very simple given its concept. Just 4 types of information (ONLY): Name, Description, License and Portability Status (Only install or Not). The database would be based on the most famous OS: XP and would be acceptable only the most awesome of them all, so no bloating.

This would not prejudice website news like TPFC but instead it would be an english easy downloadable content to people in the world. So it's time for comments!! :mrgreen:

Edit1: I already have the name of them all. However, just the name is some times few infomation.

Edit2: Please see post #11! :mrgreen:
Last edited by castman on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChemZ

Re: A Must Build SoftDB 2 Make Things More Didatic, Safe N H

#2 Post by ChemZ »

castman wrote:The database would be very simple given its concept. Just 4 types of information (ONLY): Name, Description, License and Portability Status (Only install or Not).
That might be just slightly too simple, I like having a bit more info in the program's description. But I suppose there could be ways of streamlining the entries to simplify them a bit.

- [ProgramName] and [Website] are the same link, we could get rid of one.
- [Comments], [Post comment] and [Permalink] are pretty much the same page, just different parts.

I do agree we should be making TPFW as welcoming as possible for new members, but we shouldn't neglect the more experience and technically minded members.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

castman wrote:The main objective is make thing more didatic, safe and happy even for beginners
Actually as this site is focused on user-generated content, I consider our top priority making those users who add to the site happy and comfortable. As a secondary point, we organize the information to try and make it more palatable to average users and try to make sure the additions are accurate.

As for a focus on beginners, because so much of the site is built up using a program that is by its nature odd and off-putting to new users (Universal Extractor) I think we've pigeonholed ourselves as a for-techies site.

That said, I can think of a variety of things that would make the site more palatable to new users. I started up a separate thread on that.
ChemZ wrote:
castman wrote:Just 4 types of information (ONLY): Name, Description, License and Portability Status (Only install or Not).
That might be just slightly too simple, I like having a bit more info in the program's description. But I suppose there could be ways of streamlining the entries to simplify them a bit.
The problem here is that we've got to guess about what the average user would want. I'm not sure by listing as much information as we're doing we're getting into overload, but we could sink more information underneath a "more" button as we do with the "What's New" collapsible group and comments section.

Anyone think we should do that?

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

ChemZ wrote:
castman wrote:The database would be very simple given its concept. Just 4 types of information (ONLY): Name, Description, License and Portability Status (Only install or Not).
I analyzed the fields in the entries a bit.

Four fields ("Writes settings to", "Stealth", "Path portability" and "System requirements") describe the level of portability. IMO, "Writes settings to" is unneeded (if its value is anything else than "None" or "Application folder", I don't consider the application portable), and the other three could be hidden by default.

I find the "License" field unneeded as well. The visitor can go to the website if he/she wants to know the kind of the license.

Finally, I think that the "Unicode support" field could be hidden by default. However, I don't know how important that field is for the people who speak East Asian languages. (The Finnish language has only three non-ASCII characters.)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

Couple of questions.
1. Who will maintain it?
2. What format would it be provided in? .PDF, .CSV, .TXT, .DOC?
3. Why is it limited to only XP which by 2014 won't be supported by the developer?
4. Where would it be hosted? Especially if a group of users will be maintaining the DB.

As you mentioned you would like comments about this project, so ... the problem I can see arising is the point that has been brought up that TPFC might be a little complex for those wanting to get into the world of Portable Applications. (Something I personally haven't felt.) But of course a simpler approach is always welcomed but then on the flipside being to simple can cause immense problems for those with limited knowledge about computers etc...
Anyone think we should do that?
In my opinion I think the entries are just right, they entice me into wanting to look at the application and investigate further on the authors website.

castman

#6 Post by castman »

Sorry about my idea (I had some appointments before I could feedback) but it is not to go far beyond my idea and modify the entire site structure, I didn't mean to do that! And also I hadn't any conspiracy pretension when I wrote that, so don't worry.

I will write now why I had this idea.

Enter in the OS adminstration world is almost always painfully for beginners. People think only because you are studying IT or working on it that they can smash us in our patience like cockroaches. As my beginning I wanted everything and I had nothing. However, after some analysis of useful applications like those TPFC lists, people start to understand what they need to do.

So my idea is just an addition to people knowledge like a compass to our IT and enthusiasts starters's.

And that's about it!

Edit: I only though about one format that could go well although people can stil edit it: PDF

As for XP getting old, let's not be too futuristic as a lot of applications from XP works on the 7 system.

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

So it would be XP to 7 not just XP!

castman

#8 Post by castman »

OK! If one application is more awesome and only works on 7, why not just list it? It's okay then.

donald

#9 Post by donald »

I would think a good start would be for castman to go through TPFC by Catagories and Favorite his choices; then he could copy paste as needed (only with Andrews permission of course) by searching his own favorites.

Code: Select all

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?q=[castman]
He could then produce and edit his own document and provide it to the world.

Of course he could perform any checks needed to determine if the applications match his requirements, thought it looks as if the work has already been done by the many submitters, and testers etc.

Finally he could easily document anything not self explanatory as he learns it, and provide that documentation to the world and as possible submissions/postings TPFC

Though a link to TPFC should be provided.

ChemZ

#10 Post by ChemZ »

SYSTEM wrote:Four fields ("Writes settings to", "Stealth", "Path portability" and "System requirements") describe the level of portability. IMO, "Writes settings to" is unneeded (if its value is anything else than "None" or "Application folder", I don't consider the application portable), and the other three could be hidden by default.

I find the "License" field unneeded as well. The visitor can go to the website if he/she wants to know the kind of the license.

Finally, I think that the "Unicode support" field could be hidden by default. However, I don't know how important that field is for the people who speak East Asian languages. (The Finnish language has only three non-ASCII characters.)
Agreed, we could be hiding more by default.

"Writes settings to" and "Stealth" are kinda the same aren't they? You can figure one from the other.

"System Requirements" and "Dependencies" go hand-in-hand don't they? Only systems under XP seems to have any dependencies.

How important is the "License" field to people really? I figure the newcomers won't bother with it, freeware is still freeware regardless of license right? Only experienced people (programmers and such) would care about the license, and I'm sure these people won't have problems finding out.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

castman wrote:Sorry about my idea (I had some appointments before I could feedback) but it is not to go far beyond my idea and modify the entire site structure, I didn't mean to do that!
Sorry, I clearly misunderstood your post. I'm batting 0-2 over the last few days.

I'd split up this thread into two forms: one to address the questions that have come up about how to draw up the entries and one to talk about your issue, but there's not a clear line between the entries yet.
ChemZ wrote:How important is the "License" field to people really? I figure the newcomers won't bother with it, freeware is still freeware regardless of license right? Only experienced people (programmers and such) would care about the license, and I'm sure these people won't have problems finding out.
Its not critical -- no. Everything here falls under the loose term of freeware. However, some of the software we host is only "free" under certain conditions (e.g. non-commercial, educational use), which seems confusing.

Personally, specifics about the license are very important, but I realize I'm not the average user.
SYSTEM wrote:Four fields ("Writes settings to", "Stealth", "Path portability" and "System requirements") describe the level of portability. IMO, "Writes settings to" is unneeded (if its value is anything else than "None" or "Application folder", I don't consider the application portable), and the other three could be hidden by default.
Agreed. That they were in some kind of collapsible group like with "What's New" would be fine by me.

castman

#12 Post by castman »

I finally built what would be an early beta of it since I'm not the most experienced about apps and still would need help. However, I'm sure you will find this a great helpful list (except for an app and another...).

See AppDB.zip stored in my Temp GoogleDocs collection at this link (I love to use this provider because of privacy N sharing features): docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-9xxMMyXRHbMzYyZjEwMWEtNzRmYy00MThhLWJiNzYtZTQ5MjYzMWY0OWQw&hl=en_US EDIT:Shortened in google service goo.gl/aS3bA6 removed as links for now should be as I don't update for years

Note01: I decided not to put Portablity Status as it is something that can change N I had to put version number analysed because the license is something that can change too.
Note02: The description field is bloated up. My idea is to put just 3 lines of description. Something like the PortableApps summary description one or tow key features.
Note03: Sorry about the description copying from 2 big major sites: portablefreeware.com and softpedia.com but in the end it would be an original content! =]

Note04(Edit1): I updated one more time the file giving almost all applications from NirSoft the Really Portable status as they really are. I thinking about other status: Only install, Portable w/ Temp Storage (John Haller) N Portable-like (leaves something).
Note05(Edit2): Now I've added 2 flash games. I am thinking in giving description as they are the olnly one w/ missing description and testing them! :D
Note06(Edit3): I've added 3 new apps Returnil (only install), Parted Magic (live cd) and CloneZilla (live cd). So my list looks really complete right now! 8)

Note07(Edit4): I've added a last app that I forgot: Undelete 360!
Note08(Edit5): I've added Softi FreeOCR, Snailiad (a great flash game that made me happy those days) and 2 apps that you will probably use if you try virtualization with DOSBox.
Note09(Edit6): I've added XAMPP (forgot that great suit =P) and Roadkil Rampage(Edit7) (hilaryous spare time flash game).

Note10(Edit7): I've added Invaders Zero and SHMUP flash games and 2 very useful apps that appeared at softpedia: driver loader and SysRstPnt.
Note11(Edit8): I've added 2 More Games, Driving Speed 2 and Hong Kong Ninja(Flash) and a doubious app called DictationPro(Vista and .NET only?)....
Note12(Edit9): I've added 2 Driving Demos that are portable: Crash Time and X-Motor Racing. (XP)

Note13(Edit10): I updated the version of really many programs and added 1 flash game Paper Wars, 1 emulator Project64k and 1 very useful program Depeche View Lite.

I am currently very happy with it! You can start commenting and feedbacking =]!!
PS(Edit8):I changed my password due to the said happenings.
PS(Edit9): That are games that I don't add to this database because of doubius copyright infringement (LOL).
Last edited by castman on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

castman

#13 Post by castman »

I've decided to still continue this database (text file). I will call this database swiss knife and encode in UTF-16 big endian.
about My passwords(I hate use databases for this task) I've decided I am going to store them in plain text BUT UTF-32 big endian ISO most new possible and not in internet. I now follow the movement that everything tacky-cornered must be renewed.

EDIT:I forgot to say will be no description; and is na example some can do for anyone;catalog just the name variation and version...I will continue this I was already doing this unciously
Now I REALLY Need Your Help. I need programs to simple do ONE TASK

Tranform Written text in images of max of 320x240 of JPG (Not old compression) (I generally really use arial 18 may change arial)
What I do? I do abbreviations all the time in my documents. Then it will fit. I plan to do this with the gospel, indian, chinese bibles too but this time no abbreviations will be a hard task. Later I will grab the done work to fit and use a renamer for the section for what it pertains. I will help to make this an open source and multiplatform Project and even donate some money on internet like PayPal and etc that is reallly makin me angry because I do nothing with this money.

Sorry for my quite aberrative atitude but these things that make some of my laugh joy.

EDIT2:As a grew up it will be just a kid project the database. But I really need these 2 programs:1.Tranforms text in spoken images by parameters in batch 2.Transforms all text files from a coding to other in batch, specially ANSI to UTF32BE and UTF16BE

EDIT3:Now I know why these programs aren't available yet:"The cheap goes expensive"; maybe the same to 3.Transform estereo voice recognition -> subtitles -> singstar txt and maybe such things is what a dictator would ask. I can do it all manually (obviously). I encountered a program useful that I think is already in the database NyuFX.