Mozilla Activex+TiddlyWiki+Good Programmer

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
shaggystyle

Mozilla Activex+TiddlyWiki+Good Programmer

#1 Post by shaggystyle »

Considering that this site is frequented by several programmers I ask for help to create a simple solution. I Use to work with Tiddlywiki (http://www.tiddlywiki.com) to organize information. A lot of browsers, even K-Meleon (very good solution) work fine with TiddlyWiki. I'm looking for a stand alone browser without unnecessary options (favorites, tools, help, etc.) and a clean interface. The idea is open the file through command line. All that I need is open, fullscreen, and maybe a refresh option. All that I know is that using Mozilla ActiveX control (http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm) can be easy.

Can anybody do something with this idea?

NMC

This any help to you?

#2 Post by NMC »

Maybe I am way off target here but am not a programmer.
http://offbyone.com/offbyone/.

shaggystyle

#3 Post by shaggystyle »

Thanks, but Of By One don't support JavaScript (It make TiddlyWiki work)

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

Why can't you use Pocket K-Meleon? That's what I use with Wiki on a Stick, which I believe is similar to TiddlyWiki. I believe that you could disable all but the most crucial of plugins. Not quite sure on auto-starting PKM, but I'm betting that it accepts command line parameters. If you use something like PStart, you could even pass them to PKM automatically.

shaggystyle

#5 Post by shaggystyle »

Well... the idea is that other users interact with my TiddlyWiki without distractions. I know I could do it all with Poket K-Meleon with some tweaks, but the big question is:

Isn't easier for a programmer to make a simple browser using the Mozilla ActiveX control than trying to turn K-Meleon in what i need?

Darkbee

#6 Post by Darkbee »

shaggystyle wrote:Well... the idea is that other users interact with my TiddlyWiki without distractions. I know I could do it all with Poket K-Meleon with some tweaks, but the big question is:

Isn't easier for a programmer to make a simple browser using the Mozilla ActiveX control than trying to turn K-Meleon in what i need?
Well, I think the better question is: is there a programmer willing to devote the time to your project?

I'm not suggesting that your project is not worthy of anybodies time, merely that if you don't have the expertise to do it yourself, and if no-one else can help, then maybe you can hire... I mean, maybe you can use PKM as a temporary solution.

As a final footnote, IMHO it's far easier to configure an application than to code a new application from scratch (try Googling "K-Meleon Kiosk Mode").

[/end of two penneth worth]

shaggystyle

#7 Post by shaggystyle »

Darkbee:
As I see all that you say is right. All that I wanted is hear from an expert if could be easy to put the Mozilla control on a form without any other visual control. I love PortableFreeware.com, in my USB drive I have a lot of programs from here. I though that a program like this could be useful in many other situations.
I know something about Kiosk Mode but I'm afraid that other instances could be affected by this mode.
My idea could be an even lightweight solution than K-Meleon and I know many other people will find it useful. For my personal project it can be acceptable to finally use just the K-Meleon solution. But a program like the one that a propose could be much better. I don't need it for tomorrow or something like this. I'm just offering the idea if someone could find it easy to make come true. That's all.

Nicolas CJ

#8 Post by Nicolas CJ »

Did you try "minimalist browser" in Google ? Seems there is a lot of information in there.
Not sure of the javascript part, but have a look at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/

Nicolas CJ

aceofspades

#9 Post by aceofspades »

if you want to find devs for this project. Start up a sf.net project. If your idea is goodit will be successful. I just started out with a far fetched idea and now sourceforge.net/projects/openeducate is a really large, and popular project even though I just started it not too long ago. That is what most people say.

I simply cant do it by myself because i dont hae the time. There are great programmers who could help you.