Question about making a portable app

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
DERRICKS2

Question about making a portable app

#1 Post by DERRICKS2 »

I am trying to make a portable version of Microsoft Sharepoint Designer. The 2010 version extractor file is free on their website. However, when I use UE on it, the program is not ready to run like the walkthroughs I have read say it should be. I see a setup file that will not run under this extracted state.

The reasoning I need this is that at work, we have a roaming profiles that are locked down so we cannot install anything to the PC's themselves. We have a shared drive to I can access and run my portable apps. I am in need of Sharepoint Designer 2010, but cannot install it so I need it to be portable to run off my shared drive.

Can someone educate me on the next steps for making this app portable since the .exe file to run the program isnt there.

If more information is needed, let me know what you need and I will post that info here.

Thanks,
Derrick

webfork

Re: Question about making a portable app

#2 Post by webfork »

http://portableapps.com/node/26680

As when you (I'm guessing its the same Derrek) asked about this on PortableApps, there's likely no legal way to do this.

Based on my understanding of the program, Universal Extractor has no hope of opening this now or in the future. Most commercial programs and certainly all Microsoft's programs use proprietary compression and/or encrypted binaries.

Although usually I'd recommend taking a look at Jaunte PE, Microsoft's products are very difficult to portablize I think the only possibility in this situation is VMware Thinapp (http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/) or virtualizing Windows (e.g. Virtualbox).
Last edited by webfork on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (added bit about portableapps querry)

usdcs

#3 Post by usdcs »

The reasoning I need this is that at work, we have a roaming profiles that are locked down so we cannot install anything to the PC's themselves.
I am curious. Is SharePoint development an official part of your job? Or, are you trying to perform some "unofficial" activity? Have you talked to your Corporate IT folks? Have you asked them for SharePoint Designer? If SharePoint development is a part of your job, your IT folks should gladly give you the tools to do the job, especially if they are free.

IT folks can get a little testy when people run unauthorized applications on the network, especially those that reach out and touch Servers and such. My advice, which you didn't solicit, is to be sure that you don't put your job in jeopardy.

My two cents...
Dan

DERRICKS2

#4 Post by DERRICKS2 »

usdcs wrote:
The reasoning I need this is that at work, we have a roaming profiles that are locked down so we cannot install anything to the PC's themselves.
I am curious. Is SharePoint development an official part of your job? Or, are you trying to perform some "unofficial" activity? Have you talked to your Corporate IT folks? Have you asked them for SharePoint Designer? If SharePoint development is a part of your job, your IT folks should gladly give you the tools to do the job, especially if they are free.

IT folks can get a little testy when people run unauthorized applications on the network, especially those that reach out and touch Servers and such. My advice, which you didn't solicit, is to be sure that you don't put your job in jeopardy.

My two cents...
Dan
Yes, its a part of my job. I do lots of special projects for the company. The actual "IS" dept (which is out outsourced IT dept) takes forever to do things. Getting 2011 on my computer is likely to take weeks at best. The way around is to usualy find what you want in a portable app and run off the shared drive to prevent having to have them do things for us.

Just thought their might be a way to get it to run in a portable way.

usdcs

#5 Post by usdcs »

Ahhh... I understand your frustration. Believe me, I do!

I've found that if you come up with a "work around," you essentially hide the problem from the IS folks and management. As a result, they can claim that there is/was no problem, because they never heard about it. Sometimes, we can do ourselves a disservice by being too creative.

So, as inconvenient as it is, go ahead and make an official request. In the meantime, use whatever limited "official" tools you have at your disposal, and CC: your Supervisor, too. I believe that they'll come around.

Regards,
Dan