Is Opera 11 standard portable or not ? (2)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
carbonize

Re: Is Opera 11 standard portable or not ?

#16 Post by carbonize »

jsongray wrote: Not to mention Opera with Nokia makes browsing even more better and an option to surf the web for free.. Just found that out :)
You will still be using data via your operator so it's only truly free if you're connected to WiFi.

Hydaral

#17 Post by Hydaral »

guinness wrote:Here are more details about the installer: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/th ... -installer

The basics of it are if you hated the MSI installer and you loved the Classic, then this SFX installer is just for you!

Seems pointless now because I was going to release my Opera program that creates Opera Portable by placing the Classic (defunct) Installer in the same directory as my program and then simply run. It used the WUN.exe file provided with UniExtract :D Maybe I could release for anyone who is interested in AutoIt.
You don't even need to use the installer:

"For those of you with 7-zip installed, you can actually just extract opera wherever you want and run it."

stve

#18 Post by stve »

You can change the file extension of the new installer to .zip or .rar and unzip it anywhere without having to run the installer but that does not install as a portable you need to run installer for Portable

Napiophelios

#19 Post by Napiophelios »

stve wrote:You can change the file extension of the new installer to .zip or .rar and unzip it anywhere without having to run the installer but that does not install as a portable you need to run installer for Portable
When extracting the archive use the command: /singleprofile

guinness

#20 Post by guinness »

New Snapshot is available: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... 2/snapshot

It plays host to many new updates and fixes.

carbonize

#21 Post by carbonize »

Maybe Opera should concentrate on getting their HTML 5/CSS 3 support up to the same level as the other browsers rather than adding yet more 'features'. I just tried the A New Day from the IE test drive site and Opera 11 fails horribly. Firefox only fail on the corners and Chrome only fails on the corners and the sun.

SYSTEM

#22 Post by SYSTEM »

carbonize wrote:Maybe Opera should concentrate on getting their HTML 5/CSS 3 support up to the same level as the other browsers rather than adding yet more 'features'. I just tried the A New Day from the IE test drive site and Opera 11 fails horribly. Firefox only fail on the corners and Chrome only fails on the corners and the sun.
According to the author of html5test.com, Opera and Firefox have mostly equal HTML5 support and are much better than IE. WebKit-based browsers are even better, though.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

carbonize

#23 Post by carbonize »

Maybe back when he wrote that entry in June. I just ran his test in the very latest version of all clients (Opera 11, IE 9 Dev 6, Chrome 9, Firefox 4 pre8beta)

IE9 dev 6 - 106 + 5 bonus
Opera 11 - 179 + 7 bonus
Firefox 4 - 217 + 9 bonus
Chrome 9 - 241 + 13 bonus

Hydaral

#24 Post by Hydaral »

carbonize wrote:Maybe Opera should concentrate on getting their HTML 5/CSS 3 support up to the same level as the other browsers rather than adding yet more 'features'. I just tried the A New Day from the IE test drive site and Opera 11 fails horribly. Firefox only fail on the corners and Chrome only fails on the corners and the sun.
Oh come on. Are you really going to trust Microsoft to provide an HTML5 test that works, let alone an unbiased one?? They can't even get HTML4 right! And that test page doesn't even pass the W3C validator for HTML5.

I just tried http://html5test.com/ and Opera 10 scored 159/300, my IE8 scored 27/300. Opera 10 scored 100/100 on the Acid3 test: http://acid3.acidtests.org/ IE8 scores 12/100. I don't have Opera 11, but I'm sure we can assume that it will score higher than Opera 10.

guinness

#25 Post by guinness »

HTML5 Test:
Opera 11.00.1055 - 179/300 (+7 bonus points) [Still the Same]
Firefox 3.6.12 - 139/300 (+4 bonus points)

Acid Test:
Opera 11.00.1055 - 100/300
Firefox 3.6.12 - 94/100

carbonize

#26 Post by carbonize »

@Hydaral - Both Firefox and IE9 fail on three things in Acid Test 3 but, by all accounts, they are three SVG based items that are actually being removed from the test for various reasons. I believe one of the SVG functions is being removed as it is now handled by CSS transitions.

@Guinness - You cannot go comparing a current release product with an alpha release product. You will note that Opera's HTML5 test score has only increased 20 points from it's stable release to it's current alpha. Firefox has increased 78 points between it's current stable release and it's latest alpha.

At least we are now getting browsers being compared against real world situations as opposed to a suite of JavaScript tests that you are unlikely to find any web page using. The difference in speed between the JavaScript engines is so small now nobody would notice the difference unless you happen to be on something seriously JavaScript intensive such as some of the IE9 Test Drive pages.

Anyway back to Opera 11. I do like some of the extensions currently available. I noticed it seems to have gone with the Chrome method of extensions with them appearing in pop up frames. I am currently testing the Gmail and Facebook extensions that display the mobile versions of the sites in a pop up.

guinness

#27 Post by guinness »

@Guinness - You cannot go comparing a current release product with an alpha release product. You will note that Opera's HTML5 test score has only increased 20 points from it's stable release to it's current alpha. Firefox has increased 78 points between it's current stable release and it's latest alpha.
OK, Sorry!

Emka

#28 Post by Emka »

Another snapshot (http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... 6/snapshot) has been available since Saturday Nov 6, just the day when guinness posted the snapshot from Nov 2.

guinness

#29 Post by guinness »

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/11/09 ... xtensions/ - For those who are interested in seeing the progress of the addons site.

guinness

#30 Post by guinness »

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... uggestions
When you search using the search field or from the address field with the 'g' search keyword, the predicted search queries will appear in the drop down below.