UltraSearch

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
guinness

UltraSearch

#1 Post by guinness »

[Moderator note: this is the primary UltraSearch program thread. View database entry]

---

Tested: Not Portable

It writes to HKCU\Software\JAM Software\UltraSearch & &APPDATA%\JAM Software\UltraSearch, therefore this is not Portable as claimed by the developer.

Download: http://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/

webfork

Re: UltraSearch

#2 Post by webfork »

Thanks for checking -- contacted developers about the issue.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Author responded:
If you place an (empty) file named "GlobalOptions.xml" next to the EXE file, it won't write to AppData any more but write its settings to this file. We will remove this one reg key in the next release. We could provide you a patched version if you think that this is important.
Haven't tested yet.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

OK, will have a look.

Napiophelios

#5 Post by Napiophelios »

wow these guys are really nice at Jam software.
First they fixed TreeSize Free now this.
very cool :)

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

Thanks webfork for contacting the authors, but I tested and it is still producing the same results as in the OP. "GlobalOptions.xml is written to, but it still creates the Registry Key and the file in the %APPDATA%.

Tested on Windows XP SP3

Napiophelios

#7 Post by Napiophelios »

webfork wrote:Author responded:
If you place an (empty) file named "GlobalOptions.xml" next to the EXE file, it won't write to AppData any more but write its settings to this file. We will remove this one reg key in the next release. We could provide you a patched version if you think that this is important.
Haven't tested yet.
Correction:
If you place an (empty) file named "Settings.xml" next to the EXE file, it won't write to AppData any more but write its settings to this file.
But it still makes the one reg key like Guiness says.
We will remove this one reg key in the next release. We could provide you a patched version if you think that this is important.
Yes this is important.

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

Oh! Whoops, thought it was weird why in %APPDATA% there was "Settings.xml". Thanks @Napiophelios.
At least we now know when they update it will be because of the RegistryKey. It's also great that webfork showed to the developer Portable Software is a serious requirement for many users.

Napiophelios

#9 Post by Napiophelios »

For all users..even if they arent aware of it :)

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Additionally this program is very impressive. Its the first one I've come across that might be competition for Everything (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1479) search, which I use at least 5x / week.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Posted: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2020

While I'm not clear on whether its stealth and I want to rewrite the description a bit more, I just wanted to get this up. This is the fastest search tool I've ever used.

I am Baas

#12 Post by I am Baas »

webfork wrote:Posted: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2020

While I'm not clear on whether its stealth and I want to rewrite the description a bit more, I just wanted to get this up. This is the fastest search tool I've ever used.
What? No animated gif for screenshot?... :lol:
Correction:
If you place an (empty) file named "Settings.xml" next to the EXE file, it won't write to AppData any more but write its settings to this file. But it still makes the one reg key like Guiness says.
Btw, it should be Settings.xml and not GlobalOptions.xml as mentioned by Napiophelios. And, you did not mention the registry key.

Thanks for adding UltraSearch.

guinness

#13 Post by guinness »

Cheers Webfork, that's the second application you have added on my behalf, Thank you :) And hopefully the developer will remove that single Registry Key!

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:Cheers Webfork, that's the second application you have added on my behalf, Thank you
Sure thing -- my pleasure.

Edit: entry verbiage updated... hopefully a bit clearer now.

NickR

#15 Post by NickR »

Version 1.7.1 User ahaider7 has commented
The latest version (1.7.1) is stealth. Does not write to registry. There is no 'JAM Software' entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\