ResophNotes - note taking

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

ResophNotes - note taking

#1 Post by webfork »

ResophNotes entry: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1951

----

A few notes:

Very pleased with this program. Been looking for something like it for a while. Between this program and CintaNotes, I'm very happy with PFW's note-taking selection.
  • Secure sync. I checked this program with wireshark and as near as I can tell its sharing information securely with the SimpleNotes site, which is outstanding.
  • Individual text files. Added a note to the official entry about how to save files locally as individual text files, as this is a fundamentally more portable way to save data.
  • Strongly recommend application compression. Even the most cursory compression (e.g. NTFS compression) will shrink it from 16 to 10 megs. Using AppCompactor or ArcThemAll can really affect size; my test with the "recommended" settings on AppCompactor ended up 50k less than the original ZIP file.
Thanks to whoever tested/posted.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Midas

Re: ResophNotes

#2 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: for lack of a better option, the present one is now the official forum topic for ResophNotes (currently v1.5.7; for further info, please see http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1951).
Author of http://www.resoph.com/ResophNotes/ wrote:
ResophNotes, simple and fast notes on Windows ...

Note: screenshots below are from older versions but serve to illustrate ResophNotes default (1st) and alternative layouts (following).

@webfork: please remove version info from your OP. Thanks. ;)
webfork wrote:Thanks to whoever tested/posted.

That would be mainly shaggystyle -- sadly, his OP is no longer retrievable...
Last edited by Midas on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

I've been re-visiting ResophNotes (RN) for the past week, mainly for its ability to synch with Simplenoteapp.com (and thus with my Android devices: see, for example, NotationalAcceleration). FTR, here are some shortcomings I've found...

- In RN notes list, last modified note time in is displayed in AM/PM format (it should at least be possible to change this to ISO format: 2015-01-12 12:00);

- RN doesn't seem to allow simultaneous activation of URLs in both the plain note and the Markdown HTML output (whose syntax postulates enclosing in '<' and '>');

- RN keyboard shortcuts should be customizable (e.g., time strings are more commonly inserted with 'F5' instead of 'CTRL+SHIFT+U');

- Special wiki-style formats ''bold'' and '''italic''' are recognized in plain notes, but not carried over to Markdown HTML output;

- '[' and ']' (square brackets) can not be escaped, either with '\' (backslash) or '`' (backtick) (square brackets should be available for common use; internal RN links could use '[[' and ']]' instead);

- Markdown escaping doesn't seem to affect plain text (see the case above).

starshakur

Re: ResophNotes - note taking

#4 Post by starshakur »

Ver.1.6.0 connects to new Simplenote server
Fix sync and connection problems

Please exit ResophNotes before upgrade
You don't need to delete ResophNotes data
file (.xml) before upgrade
I'm using RN regularly but as only the Simplenote feature was updated i see no reason to use the new version, plus the 32-bit was replaced by a 64-bit version. Lets hope the dev keeps working on it.

billon

#5 Post by billon »

Midas wrote: ResophNotes v1.6.0 released, dated 2018-01-14
_160 "Portable" and installer archives both dated April 2016, files inside "_Portable160" are dated April 2015
Which version is actually latest - mystery to me

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

😵

billon

#7 Post by billon »

So, Midas, did you tried that latest 1.6.0 version? Is it really 1.6.0? What in "About"?

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

It's a negative -- such minute changes don't warrant any further testing from me, sorry. 😶

Author of http://www.resoph.com/ResophNotes/Welcome.html wrote:Ver.1.6.0 connects to new Simplenote server
Fix sync and connection problems

[...]

Please try to stay with 1.5.7. Thanks!

Highlight added.

starshakur

#9 Post by starshakur »

Does anyone know how i can start more than one instance of ResophNotes?

If there's no way to do it, is there an Alternative to ResophNotes? I don't need Synchronization, Tagging etc, what i need is Import / Export of .txt files, Note List on Top / at Left and more Instances at a time.

shnbwmn

#10 Post by shnbwmn »

Try AlephNote. Or QOwnNotes. Both excellent imo.

starshakur

#11 Post by starshakur »

shnbwmn wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:45 am Try AlephNote. Or QOwnNotes. Both excellent imo.
Thanks but i have problems with both of them.

Downloaded the .zip, started AlephNote.exe and this is what i get (not just Everest but with all Plugins in \Plugins):

https://imgur.com/PKue1ll

QOwnnotes doesn't give me a .txt export option, which makes it useless for me. Either it's not supported or i'm too stupid to find it.

EDIT: AlephNotes works now, extracting it with Windows builtin extractor doesn't work, 7-zip does. No idea why :?:

shnbwmn

#12 Post by shnbwmn »

Markdown files (.md) are plaintext files, which is what QOwnNotes stores in the note folder. You can rename them to .txt if you like but it's not necessary.

The AlephNote starting issue has to do with the program DLLs being blocked when extracted with Windows default. The developer previously advised to manually unblock each DLL via Right-Click > Properties. It's nice to know that 7-Zip can solve that, however I hope that the dev fixes it :)

starshakur

#13 Post by starshakur »

Good to know, guess the .dll loading error could be the reason for the low Popularity...