Monitoring of new files added

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
spicydog

Re: Monitoring of new files added

#16 Post by spicydog »

Kermode wrote:
spicydog wrote: It looks like you not read my reply (copied below) to you in the post before your reply?
No I didn't, I click on the email notification link which brought me straight to your question which I answered.

And no i haven't tried it because by the description it doesn't sound like something I could use. It sounds like it only looks at time stamps, and I need something which will tell me all files which are appeared between scan one and scan two regardless of what their timestamps would be.
Since you wrote this: " Anybody know of a program which is a bit like regshot, but instead makes a list of new files installed on a system?" I suggested that application which INDEED makes a list of new files installed on a system.

What you do is:

1) INSTEAD of taking the 1st scan you just take note of the time on your system

2) You do whatever you need to do

3) You launch the program and set the time scan to the time you took in point 1

4) The program scans the system and lists all the new files installed on your system since the time you indicated

I thought that this is what you were looking for... I fail to see the difference :?

Anyway (if I may offer you a tip) -generally speaking- by reading the description ONLY you might end up missing very good opportunities.

Concluding, if you MUST have a scan 1 and scan 2 comparison application then you should give a try to "Install Spy"... And no, I did not develop that program either :mrgreen:

Kermode

#17 Post by Kermode »

spicydog wrote: What you do is:

1) INSTEAD of taking the 1st scan you just take note of the time on your system

2) You do whatever you need to do

3) You launch the program and set the time scan to the time you took in point 1

4) The program scans the system and lists all the new files installed on your system since the time you indicated

I thought that this is what you were looking for... I fail to see the difference :?
Well the difference is all a program need to do to hide a file is setting a timestamp which is before the scan time.
spicydog wrote: Anyway (if I may offer you a tip) -generally speaking- by reading the description ONLY you might end up missing very good opportunities.
Yes, but I'm not feeling too well and have to budget my time - ie I can't check everything. But i will try and see if i can find the time to look at it.
spicydog wrote: Concluding, if you MUST have a scan 1 and scan 2 comparison application then you should give a try to "Install Spy"... And no, I did not develop that program either :mrgreen:
Thanks(if I can find it). And it wasn't meant as an insult when i asked :)

spicydog

#18 Post by spicydog »

Kermode wrote:
spicydog wrote:
Kermode wrote:Well the difference is all a program need to do to hide a file is setting a timestamp which is before the scan time.
spicydog wrote:OK, I'll give you an example:

1) You start your system at 14.15 hrs. and you write the time down

2) You do whatever you have to do and when you are done...

3) ...You launch the program and you set the scan time at 14.10 hrs (just to be 100% sure that all files created since you started the system will be in the list)

4) The program will gather for you all the files created/modified since 14.10 (or actually 14.15) hrs

Why (and how) would any program hide a file by setting an earlier timestamp? (This is only a rhetorical question I do not really count on a reply)
Kermode wrote:Yes, but I'm not feeling too well and have to budget my time - ie I can't check everything. But i will try and see if i can find the time to look at it.
spicydog wrote:I am sorry to hear that you are not well friend, but if you don't have much spare time perhaps you should consider a different hobby :D :D :D
Kermode wrote:Thanks(if I can find it). And it wasn't meant as an insult when i asked :)
spicydog wrote:If I can find it??? I am sure that you have heard of Google, right? Well if you type "InstallSpy" in the search box you'll get a million hits for that nice piece of freeware... Anyway -to save you some time- I got a download link here for you:

http://www.brothersoft.com/installspy-157033.html

And, no don't worry I didn't take it as an insult at all, I am cool :)

Have a nice weekend

Kermode

#19 Post by Kermode »

spicydog wrote: OK, I'll give you an example:

1) You start your system at 14.15 hrs. and you write the time down

2) You do whatever you have to do and when you are done...

3) ...You launch the program and you set the scan time at 14.10 hrs (just to be 100% sure that all files created since you started the system will be in the list)

4) The program will gather for you all the files created/modified since 14.10 (or actually 14.15) hrs

Why (and how) would any program hide a file by setting an earlier timestamp? (This is only a rhetorical question I do not really count on a reply)
Well, I had not unsubscribed from this thread (but I'm doing that now)

How? Use http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1760 and change file time to 14.05 and the program you suggested won't find anything.

Why? Who knows.
Kermode wrote:Yes, but I'm not feeling too well and have to budget my time - ie I can't check everything. But i will try and see if i can find the time to look at it.
spicydog wrote:I am sorry to hear that you are not well friend, but if you don't have much spare time perhaps you should consider a different hobby :D :D :D
It's a problem for living - not hobbies.
Kermode wrote:Thanks(if I can find it).
spicydog wrote:If I can find it??? I am sure that you have heard of Google, right? Well if you type "InstallSpy"
You wrote "install spy" - and there was a shit load of irrelevant hits - if Its not on the first page I'm not wasting more time.

Thanks for the link.

spicydog

#20 Post by spicydog »

Kermode wrote:Well, I had not unsubscribed from this thread (but I'm doing that now)
spicydog wrote:You are really a remarkable SOB, you know that?!? You ask a question in the forum, you don't make the smallest effort to use Google or to read further than the tip of your nose and when fellow members strive to support your query you manage to use that arrogant and unfriendly tone?

People like you are the reason why several others just leech from fora without providing any support to others!
Kermode wrote:How? Use http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1760 and change file time to 14.05 and the program you suggested won't find anything.
spicydog wrote:An application which alters the properties of a file/folder is not run by Santa Claus, you moron! I would assume that on your system YOU are the person behind the monitor/keyboard, so why the hell would YOU use an application to alter the file/folder timestamp if YOU are about to use another application that needs the timestamps to be intact?!?

To me this riddle you are playing sounds like you either don't know what the fu** you want or you just like to di** people around!
Kermode wrote:It's a problem for living- not hobbies.
spicydog wrote:Don't give me that BS!!! If it was such a crucial thing you would have invested 3 minutes of your fuc**** precious time to Google yourself out of it!
Kermode wrote:You wrote "install spy" - and there was a shit load of irrelevant hits - if Its not on the first page I'm not wasting more time.
spicydog wrote:You can't even Google and now you try to put the blame on me because of a space between the 2 words "Install" and "Spy"?!?!?!

You are really something!

By the way, if you Google "Install Spy" (yes, with the space between the 2 words) the SECOND hit (not the FIRST one but the SECOND) is this: http://www.tucows.com/preview/337007 and that >>YOU A-HOLE<< is the download link for InstallSpy, so what is it? You only have time to read the 1st hit and you don't even bother to check the 2nd?!?!?

I profoundly regret having wasted my time attending your stupid query! I am SO out of here... Fuc**** retard!!!

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

Another old thread update:
Kermode wrote:Anybody know of a program which is a bit like regshot, but instead makes a list of new files installed on a system?
A program updated today (thanks Emka) Moo0 FileMonitor will also help with this.