64-bit Software: Where It Fits Into Portable Apps

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
JohnTHaller

64-bit Software: Where It Fits Into Portable Apps

#1 Post by JohnTHaller »

I just posted a summary of some discussions we've had regarding 64-bit software and portable apps along with the conclusions we've come to and how we'll be handling them at PortableApps.com in my blog:
http://portableapps.com/node/24371

I thought it might be of use to some folks here at PFC. I know it's come up before here. We don't consider 32-bit-only or 64-bit-only apps as portable at PortableApps.com, so we don't release them. But we do hybrid apps that include both versions with a launcher to kick off the proper one depending on the PC's OS. We've done JkDefrag before (which had to be hybrid because each can only be run on its own 16/32-bit OS). We did a hybrid of 7-Zip recently because you do see a decent performance boost with large files on x64 and the app was small enough that adding both in it was still about 5mb.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

Re: 64-bit Software: Where It Fits Into Portable Apps

#2 Post by guinness »

I once went through the Portable Applications I own to find if they had a x64 download available. The total number was only 5.4% of the total collection had a x64 native download available.

I believe x64 bit to still be at an early stage for both users and developers.

JohnTHaller

#3 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:I believe x64 bit to still be at an early stage for both users and developers.
It is, which is why we're taking a conservative approach. Nonetheless, some apps like JkDefrag *require* you to use the 64-bit version when you're using a 64-bit OS (like I am as well as 46% of Windows 7 users), so it is something that has to be dealt with where some apps are concerned. 7-Zip was our first app we did that didn't have to be, but we had users do some tests on multiple systems and found the performance increase worth doing a hybrid app for it. Of course, all of this is completely transparent to the user. It's just another PortableApps.com app and you run one launcher just like any other.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

Bump, for some feedback.

I'm about to get a nettop with 4GB RAM and was wondering if I should get Windows 7 64-bit or stick with 32-bit?

I know Joby uses x64; can anyone sway me over to 64-bit?

Will there be a performance hit if I run a 32-bit portable app on a 64-bit OS?
Any responses will be great!
is it stealth? ;)

the_watcher

#5 Post by the_watcher »

@freakazoid :
i'm also on x64 for more than a year now, and i'm a very happy/satisfied win7 user 8)
Most of the apps i'm using are x64, but i'm also using some 32-bit ones, e.g. for video or audio playback. Performance shouldn't be that much of a problem for you, 'cause even if there is a performance hit you won't even notice, so..take the leap! :)

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

The only reason I went x64 is that I also have 4GB of RAM. I am not a power user, I don't do much audio/video editing. I also had to work out some small but very annoying issues with my x64 OS compared to WinXP x86...so not everything is pink.
Do I want to go back to x86? No! Why? All that work I did must not be in vain! :) It also represents the future ... whether I like it or not.
Last edited by joby_toss on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

Do I want to go back to x86? No! Why? All that work I did must not be in vain! It also represents the future ... whether I like it or not.
Very true!

freakazoid

#8 Post by freakazoid »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@joby - any issues in particular that I should look out for?
is it stealth? ;)

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

@joby - any issues in particular that I should look out for?
I'm not joby I know...But

...Most Applications you can get away with having the x32 Version, but with Firewalls and Anti-viruses always take the native x64 Verison. Plus, some software like e.g. 7-Zip have a native x64 Version, which is brilliant because it utilises that extract RAM you may have in you system. It's just a case of trial and error, I remember it was a long process going through the applications I use and finding if they had a native x64 alternative.

In terms of problems and/or issues its hard to say at this particular moment until you get one. Sound drivers can be a problem or developers not understanding the difference in Architecture between 32 & 64 can be a headache!

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

Quick issues that come to my mind:
- 64 bit aware autostart program viewer, otherwise you won't be able to manage the 64 bit apps startup (msconfig only allows to disable entries and it also doesn't show "the big picture")
- 32-64bit aware files manager...issues with the context menu entries
- 64 bit aware antivirus
- some games won't run at all
- "Sysnative" workaround for SysWOW64 - system32 issue
- 64 bit drivers
- 64 bit shell extensions for apps like XNview
...and many other small ones that I cannot remember right now.