How to edit an entry

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

How to edit an entry

#1 Post by webfork »

I've been doing a lot of editing for a while now for site entries. Often times I haven't tested the software yet, but I try to just make the current posts clearer. Here's how I do that:

What to add
  • What's it for? I try to include ways a program is used. A photo editing program is self-explanatory but not everyone knows why you would want audio analysis or network profiles.
  • How does that help me? If the program does something very specific to a system, I try to explain what it does and why someone would care. Defrag programs for example speed up your system while data recovery tools restore deleted files.

What to remove
  • Unnecessary info. I remove the terms "Windows, Portable, Freeware, noinstall, etc." Visitors assume all these things if its on the site.
  • Avoid editorial comments. "The best program of its type" or "I like how it ___" is probably for the comment section.
  • Cut redundancy Where possible, ask what text is really necessary. For example, "Passcape ISO Burner is a utility developed for creating bootable disks" could easily become "Passcape ISO Burner creates bootable disks" The difference between the two quotes is that I used only half the words to say the same thing.

What to refine
  • Summarize. Where possible, I try to make the first sentence like a headline in a newspaper, carrying as much information as possible. People should know right away if its something they are going to use.
  • Make it accessible. Unless the program is fairly technical (like an SQL look up tool for example) I try to avoid jargon at the beginning. Only assume the site visitor has at least basic technical knowledge. Get more technical later in the entry.

None of this is new or novel -- all these principles are well known in journalism. Its answering who, what, how, when, why, and where and doing it in as few words as possible.

----

Example of this process

The original "TakeStock" entry:
TakeStock, is a powerful, easy-to-use, and completely FREE investment portfolio manager for Windows!

You can use TakeStock to track US and international stocks and mutual funds, get real-time (when possible) quotes and historical prices, view and compare stock charts, obtain company information, and read business news. TakeStock is a secure and free alternative to fee-based portfolio management services and commercial desktop products.
Changes to the entry:

Just to keep it straightforward and factual and to remove information most visitors would assume about the software:
TakeStock, is an investment portfolio manager to track US and international stocks and mutual funds. The program can get real-time (when possible) quotes and historical prices, view and compare stock charts, obtain company information, and read business news.
These aren't proposed guidelines or anything, I just hope someone finds this post useful or interesting.
Last edited by webfork on Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: (better wording)

I am Baas

Re: Editing an entry

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Anyway, these aren't proposed guidelines or anything, I just hope someone finds this post useful or interesting.
Not sure about interesting but definitely useful. Thanks.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

Not sure about interesting but definitely useful. Thanks.
It's food for thought!

Checker

#4 Post by Checker »

@ webfork: I've noticed your changes a lot of times ... you are doing a good job :!:

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

I have noticed with the entries that are changed... :D
guinness - adds the V to the version number.
webfork - updates the description.
checker & I am Baas - updates the database.
infimum - Unicode supporter.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Checker wrote:@ webfork: I've noticed your changes a lot of times ... you are doing a good job :!:
guinness wrote:I have noticed with the entries that are changed... :D
guinness - adds the V to the version number.
webfork - updates the description.
checker & I am Baas - updates the database.
infimum - Unicode supporter.
Very cool, guinness, and good to know. We're really lucky to have gotten a group of people interested in different facets of the site to make continuous improvements like this. Its definitely a part of how portable software stays current, relevant, and attractive to developers.

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

This is for just editing of the entries in TPFC DB. Obviously when it comes to testing, adding etc... other users are more active in these areas. e.g. joby_toss is/was more in the testing of new additions to the DB.